• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If I'm traveling, what actually counts as a "container" to store my firearms. Can it be a backpack?

Depends on how the law / rule is written. For instance, a backpack wouldn't pass the TSA requirements since they state a hard case that is able to be locked / secured.

Where are you traveling (State?) and how are you getting there?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Let's say I'm driving my car throw IL and may or may not be stopping at a motel and I want to keep a "pistol" in a backpack. Is that acceptable under the law?

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    If I'm traveling, what actually counts as a "container" to store my firearms. Can it be a backpack?

The answer depends on what law applies to where you are transporting "to and from", and method of transport (air or ground).

This might help re. car transport: FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS . I do not know what the definition of an approved container is for the federal ground transportation laws. A TSA container might meet the requirements for federal ground transport. IANAL, so don't quote me.

At one time, years ago (?), a paper bag with a staple in the top was deemed a "secure, closed container". A backpack with a small lock on the zippers to that compartment also qualified. That was decades ago. This last paragraph is probably no longer accurate.

Top Bottom