Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home Defense Rifle with Kids

Does anyone on here use an AR for home defense with kids in the house? How do you store it on a nightly basis where it would not pose danger to kids in the house? My kids are fine around guns, they leave them alone. However, I'd like to be responsible with storage and still have it accessible should the need arise. All suggestions will be helpful.
    facebook.com/theshootingsportschannel

Not sure I understand. Is it your primary PM defensive weapon? Do your kids sleep with you? Is it the fact you cannot fit it into a vault box, which gives you pause?

Not sure I see an issue, if it's with you, and the kids sleep elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Twangbanger View Post
    Not sure I understand. Is it your primary PM defensive weapon? Do your kids sleep with you? Is it the fact you cannot fit it in a vault box?
    I'd like to use my rifle for HD. My kids don't sleep with me, but it feels irresponsible to keep a loaded gun within reach of an unsupervised kid should they wake up and come in at night. My best idea so far is to store it with an empty chamber and the safety on. But, if there is some way I could store it where access to kids would be limited and I could still access it quickly, I'd like to do that.
    facebook.com/theshootingsportschannel

There are quick access safes for larger guns.
    "Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

Get a dog. Never had any problems here....

Four dogs.JPG
    Last edited by Joniki; 1 Week Ago at 07:22.
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

I like the Hornady RAPiD wall mounted quick-access safes. They can be opened quickly using an access code or you can wear an RFID wristband that will automatically open the safe when your hand gets near it. They are a little pricey (around $200), but they are the best compromise I've found between ease of access and security.

"There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man."

Remember that any storage you put between you and your gun is time that you need the gun and don't have it. You might consider a wall mount if you just want to keep it out of the reach of the tiny humans.

My rifle stays unchambered with the safety on and my 4-year-old nephew has never been an issue. If he ever did get handsy, he's not strong enough to work the charging handle. The only time it goes in the locker is when the house is left empty.

Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    ...it feels irresponsible to keep a loaded gun within reach of an unsupervised kid should they wake up and come in at night...
    Unless you are a midget or your kid is an NBA prospect perhaps just a high location the kid cannot reach at night.

This is not a solution for other times as nothing is truly out of reach of a determined kid with enough time alone to climb or construct a ladder.
    Last edited by KittySlayer; 1 Week Ago at 11:19.

Can the kids work the action of the rifle? If not, you could store it like I do mine; loaded mag, empty chamber, hammer down. Might invest in a can, too. More weight & length, but will protect the hearing of any people/pets if you need to use it.

Near you when in the house, in your control.

When not, either in the vault or in one of those wall-mounted quick access safes.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast