Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hammerd13 View Post
    Pepper spray is a nice option. It falls somewhere between A) STRONG LANGUAGE and B) a MAGAZINE DUMP, as it relates to dealing with a potential threat.

    Pepper spray can be a great tool to have, if you know how to use it properly. Look up John Murphy https://www.fpftraining.com/. He provides some really good training on the use of pepper spray. He stops by Indiana periodically to train folks on a myriad of topics.

    John recommends, and I carry, Sabre Red. He particularly favors the style of activator seen on https://www.redhotpepperspray.com/co...0-69-oz-stream. You can buy an inert can in the same style for training purposes.

    This type of activator is covered by a spring loaded safety, that you can use to audibly warn an aggressor that you've got a little something up your sleeve (kinda sounds like a rattle snake if you repeatedly flip the safety just right). You normally want to learn to deploy it with your offhand, so that you can transition quickly to your firearm if the need arises.

    I wouldn't want to rely on pepper spray for life/death/assault situations, but it can really slow down someone who doesn't back off when you clearly tell them to do so (repeatedly and loudly).
    Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Your daughters should get some training to use the pepper spray and to evade. They could be maimed or killed, waiting for the pepper spray to work. Even when the spray is working well, an attacker won't be immobilized, just blinded. If the attacker has hands on your daughter, even if blinded they could take out their aggression on them.
    Murph ROCKS!

    Ditto to both. Get the trainer and teach them how to use it. SHOW them how it works firsthand. Let them see where the stream goes (and doesnt go) Put on safety goggles and let them spray you as an attacker.

    Big two takeaways:
    1: pepper spray is best used to PREVENT the attack. By the time the attacker is determined to strike, its too late. If they are REALLY intent on harming them, a little dose of Vitamin P will just piss them off.
    2: When they DO have to spray the assailant, GET OFF THE X! Make sure after dosing the attacker they know to MOVE. Dont just stand there and be where they were when they pushed the button. Because if the bad guy tries to fight through the pain, he is going to go where he last saw her and grasp semi-blindly. But if she isnt there anymore, she has the advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  2. #12
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I don't carry or stash OC because I am confident that it would affect me more than the person who needed spraying if even a little got in my eyes or mucous membrane. I think it's a good additional option for people who are not overly sensitive to its active ingredient.

    On that topic, Gel based sprays are less likely to affect the dispensor and surrounding persons. (just a thought)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  3. #13
    '12 Chevy 1500 HO KokomoDave's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I am a former OC instructor and I like Fox Labs Mean Green and their Five Point Three and a product called Mugger Fogger. The combined OC and CS (Freeze Plus P) works on people immune to the effects of OC. I was certified under Sheriff Ken Campbell and used his 10 bucket system decon plus the baby shampoo mixed with a small amount of sugar. Sudecon makes wipes that help but nothing feels quite as good of those buckets, baby shampoo mixture and running hose at the end. This being said, the above mentioned off-hand dispensing and getting off the X (same as using a firearm).
    Naphtali Lodge 389 Kokomo, IN

    Hard luck is my only luck...
    Not your average Korean Hillbilly
    Tactical Chia Pet
    2012 FXDF (Fatbob)

  4. #14
    Grandmaster Route 45's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Well no pepper spray recommendations, other than my opinion it is a poor self defense tool. Have you equipped them with the knowledge to stay as safe as possible? I would look at a book titled Sheep No More. Lots of good info.
    I take it you've never been hit in the face with Fox Five Point Three pepper spray.

    That would be my recommendation.

    https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/five-point-three
    Last edited by Route 45; 1 Week Ago at 16:34.
    My guns won't be illegal....they'll be undocumented.

  5. #15
    Anti-Communist Raskolnikov's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    A good point I make about pepper spray is this: it can be lawfully used in more situations than a gun. There are many self-defense situations one might encounter where a gun's use would not be appropriate. While it takes training to effectively use it, it requires far less than a firearm.
    I AM the MILITIA!

  6. #16
    wcd
    wcd is offline
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Route 45 View Post
    I take it you've never been hit in the face with Fox Five Point Three pepper spray.

    That would be my recommendation.

    https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/five-point-three
    Sticking with original position pepper spray is a poor self defense tool. Far more important is having training, and situational awareness far outweigh the benefit of pepper spray. How does that rule go? The Number one Rule to winning a gun fight is not to be in one.

  7. #17
    Grandmaster Route 45's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    Sticking with original position pepper spray is a poor self defense tool. Far more important is having training, and situational awareness far outweigh the benefit of pepper spray. How does that rule go? The Number one Rule to winning a gun fight is not to be in one.
    And "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout motto. What's your point? Can one not have situational awareness, training and more than one type of defensive tool?

    I spent many years relying on situational awareness, training and less than lethal tools. This included pepper spray, and let me tell you, if I had to choose between using a baton, pepper spray and a Taser, in most situations I'd take pepper spray. I never had anyone that was unaffected by Fox 5.3, and I had occasion to use it quite a few times. It's hardly a "poor self defense tool."

    Please tell us about your experience using pepper spray in real-world situations that has led you to the conclusion that it is a poor self-defense tool.
    My guns won't be illegal....they'll be undocumented.

  8. #18
    Anti-Communist Raskolnikov's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Route 45 View Post
    And "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout motto. What's your point? Can one not have situational awareness, training and more than one type of defensive tool?

    I spent many years relying on situational awareness, training and less than lethal tools. This included pepper spray, and let me tell you, if I had to choose between using a baton, pepper spray and a Taser, in most situations I'd take pepper spray. I never had anyone that was unaffected by Fox 5.3, and I had occasion to use it quite a few times. It's hardly a "poor self defense tool."

    Please tell us about your experience using pepper spray in real-world situations that has led you to the conclusion that it is a poor self-defense tool.
    I have no idea what different credentials people have around here. OC is a very effective tool; anyone who's been sprayed or used it can attest to that. Perfect? Definitely not. Neither is a gun. OC is much better than a Taser. Tasers aren't that great unless you also have handcuffs. Partners who also have handcuffs are big help, too.

    I haven't carried Fox since the early-2000s. That was some bada** sh**. I think the type I had was OC/CS, but I could be wrong. I think we had to stop using it becuase of liability - apparently, it could melt plastic.
    I AM the MILITIA!

  9. #19
    Grandmaster Denny347's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    I have no idea what different credentials people have around here. OC is a very effective tool; anyone who's been sprayed or used it can attest to that. Perfect? Definitely not. Neither is a gun. OC is much better than a Taser. Tasers aren't that great unless you also have handcuffs. Partners who also have handcuffs are big help, too.

    I haven't carried Fox since the early-2000s. That was some bada** sh**. I think the type I had was OC/CS, but I could be wrong. I think we had to stop using it becuase of liability - apparently, it could melt plastic.
    It was Fox's carrier that was the issue. It was straight OC but the liquid carrier was essentially brake cleaner. That is why it melted plastic and was really hard on the eyes they were sprayed into.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

  10. #20
    Plinker Selfpreservation's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I have not had a chance to test this, but a guy that I know who works with an organization called Forever Your Overwatch Foundation recommends these.

    https://fyofoundation.org/product/smart-pepper-spray/?fbclid=IwAR2xqoIrckkB--kDI5_saZpXSRUgjvTJKoPcn89aD6GrI2VkAzDSxv5V2s4

    Jeff Riley
    Owner/Operator
    Self-Preservation Training, LLC
    www.selfpreservationtraining.com
    Facebook@selfpreservationtraining

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge