• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You can use just about any Indiana lawyer, you dont need to meet with them in person.

I used Grant Liston out of Fort Wayne. His fee was very reasonable, I spoke with him last Thursday and received my trust Monday. Obviously I dont have anything approved on it yet, but it looks like it should, and I felt very comfortable with him. Oh, and I didnt even receive the bill until AFTER I received my trust. I will walk through my experience below:

I called his office, told the initial receptionist I was looking for a trust for NFA firearms. She transfered me to his secretary. She took my information, asked a couple basic questions, asked if I preferred to be contacted by phone or email, etc. Total call was about 5 minutes. He called me back about three minutes later. He then walked me through the basics, told me about some of the various people he has written NFA trusts for (himself, FBI agents, state police, other lawyers, doctors, etc). He explained his fee (cheapest I found), and gave me a list of information to email him. That call was about 12 minutes.

I emailed him my information, along with a few questions. He answered the questions promptly. When he was finished he sent me an email to let me know he was complete, and a couple days later I had my an envelope from his firm. Obviously my trust was inside, as was a letter explaining a few things and giving me instructions on getting it notarized and funding it. I had it notarized, added $1 to fund it, done. A couple days later I received the bill for the amount we discussed, payable by check or by credit card.

My initial contact was Thursday, I had my trust in hand on Monday, and I received my bill exactly a week after initial contact. All around a painless experience, and I highly recommend him.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    How much was his fee?

He charged me $325, and while I think that is his standard fee, DO NOT call expecting that fee. It is his right to control his prices, and while I have to reason to believe he charged me more or less than he does anyone else, circumstances can change. I hate giving out numbers for things like this, but after thinking about it, it was very frustrating trying to find this information when I was looking for it.

I also called John Spurr, and his fee was $600.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I also called John Spurr, and his fee was $600.

I actually spoke to Jon earlier today myself. Fees start at $300 and depending on complexity, max out at $600. Initial consult is free. He does offer a discount if you are a member of some groups.

t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    I 2nd Grant Liston. He did mine back in November and charged $300. Answered all my questions, ( I had a bunch) and owns NFA items himself!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I actually spoke to Jon earlier today myself. Fees start at $300 and depending on complexity, max out at $600. Initial consult is free. He does offer a discount if you are a member of some groups.

I never actually spoke to him, maybe that was my problem. I spoke to the lady answering the phone, and I asked her about the fee. She said that it was a flat rate of $600. I scheduled my initial consult (a week out!) but called back later in the day to cancel it after I contacted Grant Liston's office. I guess either way it doesnt matter, I got a trust for about the same price.

claybustr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Do I need to transfer my current Form 4s to the trust? I'm starting to think I need to deal with my stamp collection so it doesn't cause my wife and kids too much trouble one day.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you want them to be a part of the trust you will need to transfer them at a cost of $200 per item. This is exactly why I am setting up a trust from the beginning. I emailed grant liston last night to set something up.

claybustr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Oh crap that's going to cost a fortune LOL...I should have thought about this about 20 years ago.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    seriously? why would you have to pay the tax to transfer to a trust you own? What would happen to the other stamp??

The same thing that happens whenever someone transfers an NFA item. (Someone else will have to explain what that is :D)

You have to pay to transfer to a trust, because that trust is a different entity. Essentially you dont own it anymore, the trust owns it.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    Tim Kalamaros out of mishawaka.

dont DIY your own wills and trust stuff, seeing as how you wont be able to fix it once you're gone--

you know the saying.... penny wise....

Top Bottom