• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was wondering what was the upsides to a .308 suppressor such as the SilencerCo offerings and the Surefire? I have seen one in person using hand loads that were specific for sub sonic but I did not know if yo would notice much reduction in sound or hearing safe using standard ammunition? I realize you will have the sonic crack but I did no know how much you cut back from the standard muzzle noise. Also, do most suppressors also cut the muzzle flash when using a .308 round? I wanted a 5.56 can but it seems that I may just be money better spent getting the .308 and have the versatility.

The main suppressors I have looked at on the web is the
    SilencerCo Saker and Specwar
    Surefire Socom 7.62 Mini
    Thompson Thirty
    Huntertown Chameleon Titanium .308

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    From the best way I have heard it explained to me, the purpose on rifle cans isn't so much to make them quiet, but to change the sound signature that is heard down range/ away from the shooter. I do not have a .308 can, but 2 5.56 cans and that is my primary reason for having them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have an SAS .30 cal can. I normally shoot it on my .300 blackouts, .308 bolt gun, and an 18" AR. I have no trouble shooting them without ear protection, not all day, but 20-40 rounds is fine. They also cut down on a bunch of recoil due to deign and weight. They also eliminate all muzzle flash and most all muzzle blast. I can shoot my .308 all day long now with no fatigue. Subsonic ammo is fun, but it's a short range/ known range type of deal due to extreme bullet drop.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have a 762-sdn.-6 from AAC. I've only used it on .223 so far. I love the thing. I could shoot it all day w.o ear pro so yes it greatly reduces the sound. Yes there is the crack of the bullet so it's not super quiet. If I want extra quiet and subsonic, I grab the 9mm AR.

-rvb

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have two cans , both YHM QD , one 5.56 and one .308 , both steel .

My :twocents: , If I were going to do it over , I'd have bought the titanium can instead of steel and I probably would've bought just the .308 can since I can use it on my AK and AR .

Are the " higher end " cans worth the price ? IDK but the shorty cans are hella cool .

I don't think there's that much of a noticeable difference between makers and especially not with human hearing , maybe so if you break out the fancy " sound lab " equipment .

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a YHM .30 titanium and a Gemtech Trek 556. The YHM is on my 18" AR (5.56) with a rifle length gas system and I could shoot it all day without ear-pro. The Gemtech Trek is on my 11.5" SBR (5.56 ) and after about 2-3 mags my ears are starting to ring. Anybody who has shot these two cans side by side has also noticed.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have the surefire 7.62 Socom Mini. I love the can. It is nice and short, but it is still heavy. A main reason I went with Surefire is I prefer their breaks. I run it on my 16 and 17.

No can will be stupid quiet so I wasn't worried about running a shorty can. I wanted the can so it wasn't abusive to shoot next to me, have a great warranty, reduce the muzzle flash, and finally reduce the sound. I always shoot with ear pro but the can makes it that much more enjoyable.

I know there is a video somewhere around here of these cans.

I am shooting the 16 with a surefire, and my buddies are shooting YHM cans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy6xBp0xbL8

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was really wondering if the cost justified the buying of the higher cost cans or does the HA provide far better value?

Really depends what you're wanting to do. I ordered an AAC 762-SDN-6 to use on a .300 BLk AR. But it'll also go on my 308 rifle, and my 223 ARs. The one advantage is the QD Mounts so I can attach it on over my flash hiders on without having to swap things back and forth. If you don't mind the extra time to swap all that the HTA is a great value for the money. They are also user serviceable, I have their 556 can.

So, to define value, you'd have to know what features you want, if any, on the suppressor.

Top Bottom