Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

EDC Fixed Blades

I know a lot of people EDC a fixed blade. What I don't know is why. I'm kinda interested in them since I'm getting ready to start messing with kydex and anything that needs a sheath is an excuse to tinker. So why do you carry a fixed blade daily? How do you carry it? Once I figure out whether or not I have a use, I'll find the knife to fill that niche.

For reference, I'm a custodian by trade and my knife rarely comes out of my pocket except for opening/breaking down boxes.
    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Proverbs 18:2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffnek View Post
    I know a lot of people EDC a fixed blade. What I don't know is why.
    I am *not* a knife fighter and am know nothing other then the little bit I've been able to pick up from Craig Douglas, so my opinion doesn't carry a ton of weight. That said, for me the reason is that a fixed blade is instantly ready to put into action and is much tougher to break. If worn center line it's accessible with either hand. I carry a small blade center line, generally on a dog tag chain, as a last ditch "get off me" poking device. I know there are people out there who are much better than I am at entangled fighting. I know there are people who are much stronger. I know there are people who are both. I know I could be in a fight over my gun. For those reasons, having a hidden option that's relatively east to get to with either hand and doesn't need any manipulation before being able to be put into use seems like a good idea.

I plan to get over to TDI for some more in depth training eventually.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I am *not* a knife fighter and am know nothing other then the little bit I've been able to pick up from Craig Douglas, so my opinion doesn't carry a ton of weight. That said, for me the reason is that a fixed blade is instantly ready to put into action and is much tougher to break. If worn center line it's accessible with either hand. I carry a small blade center line, generally on a dog tag chain, as a last ditch "get off me" poking device. I know there are people out there who are much better than I am at entangled fighting. I know there are people who are much stronger. I know there are people who are both. I know I could be in a fight over my gun. For those reasons, having a hidden option that's relatively east to get to with either hand and doesn't need any manipulation before being able to be put into use seems like a good idea.

I plan to get over to TDI for some more in depth training eventually.
    This brings up another question, I would think a neck knife would get annoying. Does it? I just can't imagine carrying one due to the fact that my work shirts are practically see-through and my normal t-shirts aren't loose enough to hide something like that because I'm so round (before anyone says anything, I'm working on getting in better shape).
    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Proverbs 18:2

User Info Menu

This brings up another question, I would think a neck knife would get annoying. Does it?
    Size matters (giggity) but I've never found my current one annoying. I tried a larger one and it was a solid no-go.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Until my work uniform changes, I just can't see myself carrying a neck knife. I could hang it under my undershirt but that's tucked in so there goes quick/easy access. Maybe when the diet and exercise start showing results things will change.

User Info Menu

The CRKT minimalist is my option for fixed blade.
    Not really a true EDC item since I rarelly wear it.
    It depends what I do and where I go.

Usually worn on a dog tag chain like BB ... but you can also mount it on your belt (it comes with the clip).

Fixed blades are usually backup blades.
    It's not something you pull out to open boxes.
    You should have a folder for that (possibly several).
    It's something you never use to keep it razor sharp.

I have never used mine outside of training/practice/testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marksman

User Info Menu

I carry a Bob Dozier Canoe (3") fixed blade with the horizontal kydex sheath next to my belt buckle. He has them right and left hand draw. No one ever comments on it because no one stares there.

User Info Menu

I carry a fixed blade, because every folding knife ever made is broken in the middle. I have several different knives I can carry based on my mood for the day, but I carry them all the same way. IWB in a kydex sheath.

Most often I carry my Benchmade 375 Adamas fixed blade.
    Sometimes I carry my Busse SJTAC in Competition Finish.

You'd be surprised how big a knife you can cover up this way.
    Look jerky, I don't need to talk to YOU.

User Info Menu

Until my work uniform changes, I just can't see myself carrying a neck knife. I could hang it under my undershirt but that's tucked in so there goes quick/easy access. Maybe when the diet and exercise start showing results things will change.
    Belt carry is probably smarter. I just wanted something that doesn't interfere with, or require, a duty belt. I use the same one that Sylvain listed, but mine has a green handle.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

I carry a Clinch Pick or Izula centerline, some days, a Spyderco Reverse, others a Street Bowie. Iíve got several River City Sheaths Keating Drawpoints for Gryphon M10, and M30ís. Sometimes Mick Strider Custom SLCC, sheesh, I like fixed blades, so I always have one about my person or two, or...

Lately, Iíve been sporting a Spartan Blades Enyo neck knife as well.

Last edited by Vigilant; 02-27-2019 at 12:25.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast