• rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been summoned!

Folder vs. Fixed Blade

Aside from folders being cool mechanisms, the only time a folder "wins" is if you don't have the choice to carry the fixed blade, whether because of law, size constraints, sometimes a safety issue. etc. As mentioned, fixed blade is always stronger and almost always faster to deploy and always simpler to deploy.

If you might absolutely need your knife to save a life in a hurry, I think a fixed blade is the only way to go. Any folder can be fumbled when trying to open it. If you are in a compromised position (in a car wreck, some miscreant trying to pull your limbs off of your body, your hands are too cold, etc.), you don't want to have to worry about opening a folder, no matter how reliable it is.

In terms of carry, neck carry is super easy and super concealable. Comfort is a very subjective thing, but it's something you can train yourself to tolerate. You should be wearing an undershirt anyway, so the neck knife between undershirt and outer garment is usually not a problem. The potential downside of neck carry is that it may not be in exactly the same place and orientation all the time (again, if you're upside down, or someone is wrestling with you, or you're in the water, whatever). That's where belt carry shines, especially near the centerline of your body where you can access with either hand.

On the other hand, with a neck knife, you don't need to be wearing anything else to always have your knife with you. It sounds silly, but sometimes weird things happen.

I started carrying a neck knife (almost always a fixed blade, but I have worn folders that way too) after I was in a situation where I needed my knife, but I couldn't reach it on my side (bwframe probably knows the story!). If I were carrying "a knife" primarily as a defensive tool, they would be fixed blades and both would be inside my belt line on either side of my belt buckle (imagine a crazed pachyderm, dual wielding fixed blade karambits with each of his T-Rex arms. Now try to sleep tonight).

If you're going to carry a knife specifically to use as a defensive weapon, then fixed blade wins.
    If you're carrying a knife for other emergency use, then the fixed blade wins.

Folders are to fixed blades as handguns are to long guns. The former is a compromise for convenience, whereas the latter is generally the better tool for the job.

So final answer: carry both.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have been summoned!

Folder vs. Fixed Blade

Aside from folders being cool mechanisms, the only time a folder "wins" is if you don't have the choice to carry the fixed blade, whether because of law, size constraints, sometimes a safety issue. etc. As mentioned, fixed blade is always stronger and almost always faster to deploy and always simpler to deploy.

If you might absolutely need your knife to save a life in a hurry, I think a fixed blade is the only way to go. Any folder can be fumbled when trying to open it. If you are in a compromised position (in a car wreck, some miscreant trying to pull your limbs off of your body, your hands are too cold, etc.), you don't want to have to worry about opening a folder, no matter how reliable it is.

In terms of carry, neck carry is super easy and super concealable. Comfort is a very subjective thing, but it's something you can train yourself to tolerate. You should be wearing an undershirt anyway, so the neck knife between undershirt and outer garment is usually not a problem. The potential downside of neck carry is that it may not be in exactly the same place and orientation all the time (again, if you're upside down, or someone is wrestling with you, or you're in the water, whatever). That's where belt carry shines, especially near the centerline of your body where you can access with either hand.

On the other hand, with a neck knife, you don't need to be wearing anything else to always have your knife with you. It sounds silly, but sometimes weird things happen.

I started carrying a neck knife (almost always a fixed blade, but I have worn folders that way too) after I was in a situation where I needed my knife, but I couldn't reach it on my side (bwframe probably knows the story!). If I were carrying "a knife" primarily as a defensive tool, they would be fixed blades and both would be inside my belt line on either side of my belt buckle (imagine a crazed pachyderm, dual wielding fixed blade karambits with each of his T-Rex arms. Now try to sleep tonight).

If you're going to carry a knife specifically to use as a defensive weapon, then fixed blade wins.
    If you're carrying a knife for other emergency use, then the fixed blade wins.

Folders are to fixed blades as handguns are to long guns. The former is a compromise for convenience, whereas the latter is generally the better tool for the job.

So final answer: carry both.
    Any recommendations for one or two fixed blades that are easy on the budget?
    The rhino has spoken!
    Finally! I figured his would be the first response since this was posted in The Cutting Edge. :stickpoke:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any recommendations for one or two fixed blades that are easy on the budget?

Finally! I figured his would be the first response since this was posted in The Cutting Edge. :stickpoke:

Here's a few . . .

ESEE 3
    ESEE Izula
    Ka-Bar TDI
    TOPS Tibo
    Ka-Bar ESEE Escabar
    Ka-Bar BK11
    Real Steel Observer
    Real Steel Perceptor

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I carry the small KaBar TDI. It's very handy, unassuming, and multi-purpose. I run it through a sharpener every couple weeks and it stays razor sharp. (I just did it about an hour ago and checked: it can shave hair.)

I carry it for some of the reasons listed in the posts above.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I do not always carry my TDI Hinderer, but I like it. I am thinking of trying standard basic TDI as well. I like the forward oriented blades.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    So basically the fixed blade is a defensive tool and you guys have folders for general use?

No. I EDC an Izula in a minimalist kydex pocket sheath. Just drop the knife/sheath in my pocket with my cell phone.

It's a useful knife and I don't intend to use it for defensive purposes. Plus, Esee has their bullet proof lifetime warranty. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I found a S&W at Tractor Supply for $10 in the closeout bin at the front of the store. It's a fun little knife. I do like the neck carry when I'm wearing loose clothing. Not all my pants always have a belt. I carry it in my boot or centerline, depending on my garments.

swhrt9bf.jpg

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I carry an ESEE Izula 2 in a leather pocket sheath. I have no intention to, nor do I have the training, to use it as a defensive weapon. For me, it's less maintenance, more sturdy, and more knife than I can get in a folder. It does everything for me from peeling apples to opening boxes to gutting a deer. I do have folders I will carry if I'm wearing pants with tight pockets or something, but other than that it's the fixed blade.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Carrying any knife, particularly a fixed blade knife, for defensive purposes is prison bait IMO. Unpopular opinion, but listen to Varg Freeborn talk about his experience in the criminal justice system after defending himself with a knife. Choice of weapon is irrelevant to determining whether force was used in self defense in a vacuum, but we don't live in a vacuum. You don't have to convince a computer, you have to convince a jury of people, and that jury is not going to be sympathetic when you try to explain that you stabbed the guy 30 times because that's what it took to stop him from coming at you. Lethal self-defense with a firearm is socially acceptable. Doing the exact same thing with a knife is not socially acceptable, it is seen as savage and feral behavior beyond the bounds of civilization. No, it's not fair, but fair doesn't keep you out of prison. It's not hard to convince a jury that the guy who butchered someone with a 4" fixed blade "that he carries every day just in case he wants to stab someone" is incompatible with society and belongs in jail. You can tell the walls of your cell that you were right.

Hell, especially if you carry a folder in your pocket PLUS a fixed blade on your belt. Then, by your own admission, you are carrying that fixed blade for the purpose of stabbing people. What kind of psycho does that? The jury finds the defendant guilty...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I carry an ESEE Izula 2 in a leather pocket sheath. I have no intention to, nor do I have the training, to use it as a defensive weapon. For me, it's less maintenance, more sturdy, and more knife than I can get in a folder. It does everything for me from peeling apples to opening boxes to gutting a deer. I do have folders I will carry if I'm wearing pants with tight pockets or something, but other than that it's the fixed blade.

Try a kydex sheath. My Izula in a Kydex pocket sheath is thinner than a folding knife.

Plus, kydex doesn't hold moisture like leather does. 1095 steel won't be as susceptible to rusting the edge in kydex.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Try a kydex sheath. My Izula in a Kydex pocket sheath is thinner than a folding knife.

Plus, kydex doesn't hold moisture like leather does. 1095 steel won't be as susceptible to rusting the edge in kydex.

Yeah, I actually make kydex sheaths, but for pocket I like the leather for ease of draw. I often only have one hand free and like not having the retention of kydex.

Top Bottom