Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Ammo is 10X the cost of the gun over a lifetime

Tyler the Piker commented, in another thread about testing your EDC, that you could spend 10X in ammo over the price of the gun over a lifetime.

I just had to tell Tyler the Piker that his comment about spending 10X as much on ammo as the gun has got me going. It is a great question that has teased me for days. I thought I would see if I could calculate it.

If it's a $500 gun that makes $5000 in ammo over a lifetime. Let's say it's a 45 and you buy nice stuff at over $.40 a round. Let's call it 12,000 rounds over a lifetime.
    Let's say I average about 100 rounds a month in that one gun. That's about 10 years. That is a very reasonable estimate for length of time to shoot 10X value. With this example you would shoot half the value of the gun every year. Over 20 years, most people can easily shoot that much. His estimate seems remarkably accurate. Did he just throw out a number, or SWAG, or did this come from experience?

Variables are everywhere in my estimates, but I made them for a defensive shooter with few guns and mid-priced ammo.
    I'm not a defensive shooter so I shoot as many types of guns as I can.
    The club I'm in offers me an opportunity to shoot lots of guns. The other members and I trade guns while at the range almost every trip. So getting a hundred a month through one gun consistently is tough. I probably have too many guns to shoot them on a regular monthly basis. So it would take someone like me longer.

What a fascinating question about on-going costs.

If a car costs $30,000 and you drive 12,000 per year at 25 mpg, that
    480 gallons per year at $4.00 = $1,920 or approx $2,000. That's 15 years to equal the price of the car. Guns get there in two years. So our guns have an on-going costs far above other hobbies.
    Also this means that the gun itself is only 10% of the cost. It seems to me, if we were all looking at true cost of ownership, we would up that initial cost because it is such a small part of the total. It also means that finding a deal on the ammo is 10X more important than the cost of the gun.

Just grist for the mill. Still trying to figure the ripple effects.

So not just what do you think, but how do you calculate the costs of true ownership for your pistola.

Be safe out there,
    Prescut

User Info Menu

I highly highly doubt the average gun owner shoots an average of 100 rounds per month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by prescut View Post
    Tyler the Piker commented, in another thread about testing your EDC, that you could spend 10X in ammo over the price of the gun over a lifetime.

I just had to tell Tyler the Piker that his comment about spending 10X as much on ammo as the gun has got me going. It is a great question that has teased me for days. I thought I would see if I could calculate it.

If it's a $500 gun that makes $5000 in ammo over a lifetime. Let's say it's a 45 and you buy nice stuff at over $.40 a round. Let's call it 12,000 rounds over a lifetime.
    Let's say I average about 100 rounds a month in that one gun. That's about 10 years. That is a very reasonable estimate for length of time to shoot 10X value. With this example you would shoot half the value of the gun every year. Over 20 years, most people can easily shoot that much. His estimate seems remarkably accurate. Did he just throw out a number, or SWAG, or did this come from experience?

Variables are everywhere in my estimates, but I made them for a defensive shooter with few guns and mid-priced ammo.
    I'm not a defensive shooter so I shoot as many types of guns as I can.
    The club I'm in offers me an opportunity to shoot lots of guns. The other members and I trade guns while at the range almost every trip. So getting a hundred a month through one gun consistently is tough. I probably have too many guns to shoot them on a regular monthly basis. So it would take someone like me longer.

What a fascinating question about on-going costs.

If a car costs $30,000 and you drive 12,000 per year at 25 mpg, that
    480 gallons per year at $4.00 = $1,920 or approx $2,000. That's 15 years to equal the price of the car. Guns get there in two years. So our guns have an on-going costs far above other hobbies.
    Also this means that the gun itself is only 10% of the cost. It seems to me, if we were all looking at true cost of ownership, we would up that initial cost because it is such a small part of the total. It also means that finding a deal on the ammo is 10X more important than the cost of the gun.

Just grist for the mill. Still trying to figure the ripple effects.

So not just what do you think, but how do you calculate the costs of true ownership for your pistola.

Be safe out there,
    Prescut
    To distill this down a bit - reloading almost always makes sense
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGunworks View Post
    I highly highly doubt the average gun owner shoots an average of 100 rounds per month.
    But we are not average (are we?)
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

Leo
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

You have done a good job and reached accurate conclusions. This is an expensive sport.

I competed, somewhat seriously for a few years. A weekend might be, get off work, pack the truck, drive 400 miles and catch few hours sleep in a motel, be on the line to pay entry fee for a match. Shoot 88 rounds of match ammo in an M1a. Go to the restuarant with other competitors. Go back to the motel, be in line to pay entry fee for a Long Range match the nexy morning. Shoot 55 rounds of Match ammo in a Palma rifle. Drive 400 miles home. Clean guns, and get ready for work.

That was a common every month. Of course there are 3 more weekends and there were matches in 3 more states. The close one was 100 miles each way, and often I drove home Saturday night and drove back for the long range match Sunday morning. I put 70,000 miles on a truck I really only used for matches in just few years. Add the price of a truck and maintenance to the price of the sport.

The winter would slow the rifle matches, but luckily, I like trap and skeet all winter. Plus you can always find indoors to shoot pistols.

Since I was never home, I had to pay a guy to mow my yard. I spend a lot of money competing with firearms. What little was left, I just wasted paying taxes and bills.
    Last edited by Leo; 07-08-2015 at 14:30.

Leo
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    Lots of gun owners do not shoot much, but gun hobbyists easily shoot 1000 a month, especially if they shoot multiple disciplines.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Right on guys. Lots of SWAG *scientific wild ass guess". on my part. But I did show my math and what I guessed at.
    What is average round count per gun per month? For who? For what month?

what is YOUR style of shooting, your pistol, your round count per year? over a lifetime?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    Correct... but I thought we were talking averages.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Nice post detailing how much a guy can shoot in competition. I'm just guessing that most of the folks on here shoot regularly (they're on a gun site). i would also love to hear from the guy who shoots once a year at the reunion. I have been unable to tell how many INGOers fall into each camp. As far as the thread goes, I'm pretty sure neither camp has calculated the true cost of ownership over a lifetime. The process for the calculation is more important than the number. The number is different for each of us.
    Prescut

User Info Menu

There is a member on here that meticulously tracks their expenses on each gun and the ammo for it.

I'm not sure who it is, but it might be lovemywoods.

They started a thread a few months back with the hard numbers. It was pretty interesting.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast