Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

California Bear Gun (CQB)

CQB Gun (in this case) = "Close Quarters Bear" gun!!!

I have an old buddy from high school that is still living in the People's Republic of California, and he and his wife just retired to a nice "cabin" up in the foothills. His door camera picks up bears prowling most nights, and asked me what I would suggest he get for some close quarters protection for he and his wife.

This is not for hunting, only close up protection.

I honestly have no idea what will stop a bear, but I know I have heard that most pistols won't do anything but make them mad.

Any suggestions I can pass along to him?

Thanks!
    James

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

User Info Menu

Have him consider the following as a thought experiment. Or perform it in reality, if circumstances allow.

Grab a buddy, a four wheeler, a 100 yard rope, and a five gallon bucket. Tie one end of the rope to the bucket, the other end to the ATV, and have your buddy drag the bucket towards you at thirty miles an hour. The bucket, bouncing and bobbing, simulates the size and movement of a grizzly bears head as it charges you.
    Using your choice of bear gun, how many holes do you think you can put in that bucket in the however-many seconds it takes to cross that distance?

I, personally, would want a large bore Armalite (EDIT: .45 Bushmaster or similar) or any other high capacity, (EDIT: """high capacity""") selfloading carbine.
    As your buddy's living in California precludes that option, I wish him the best of luck, he's going to need it.
    Last edited by Herr Vogel; 08-10-2019 at 10:30.

User Info Menu

870 with slugs, S&W 629, Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore, lever gun in .44 or 45-70...

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Per Colt, a .25 ACP will do just fine.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    Per Colt, a .25 ACP will do just fine.

I would love to know the actual details of this. Did they wound the bear with something else and dispatch it with this pistol thereby claiming it was what actually killed the bear?
    The resident Mopar parts and accessories geek.

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepfanatic View Post
    I would love to know the actual details of this. Did they wound the bear with something else and dispatch it with this pistol thereby claiming it was what actually killed the bear?
    Same here. I've been doing a bit of searching for "Bear Hunt in Folder No. 65". Haven't found it yet.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

How about playing some Metallica.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

Seriously....

Oh..... California.....
    Tell him to run. CA won't allow you to protect yourself. Besides, if he killed a bear, they would probably arrest him for murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5wEhFQDub

Here are some real world stats!

Looks like a 9mm is fine !
    U.S. Army retired

User Info Menu

My choices would be 12 gauge of his choice or a lever gun in .44 or 45-70... I'd likely opt for the 45-70 only because I love me some lever guns.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast