Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seriously though, I dont find this surprising. America has an infatuation with drugs. Odder still, how we are so adamantly opposed to some, but perfect happy to go to town on other drugs. Its not a prescription or medicine, its a drug. People need to stop candy coating it. Its conditioning people into believing big pharma is safe.

I understand that everyone is different, and at times, its necessary to take something. Antibiotics especially. But I personally, havent taken a single pill since 2008, including advil or whathaveyou. I think we need to further evaluate whatever our issue may be, before just tossing a pill at the problem.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I see a lot where I work and it's amazing to see all the things people take. Then you have to take drug "Y" to counteract drug "X"s side effects. And so on and so on. I know people who have stopped all but 1 of their meds and actually been in better health because of it, even thou their healthcare professional swears they need to take "50000000" drugs for their issue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We're so busy having "national conversations" about guns, and misogyny, and violent video games, and whatever other political topics for which a good crisis can't be wasted, there's no room for talking about the psychotic impact drugs may be having on people.

During the a news report on the shooting I saw a commercial for some mind altering drug, and in the typical warnings that come after it said to contact your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts or thoughts about harming others. WTF? Okay. Not all people who take these drugs have suicidal thoughts or thoughts about harming others. And not all narcissists kill people.

Judging from what we choose to have a national conversation about, commercials like that juxtaposed against the backdrop of a crazy mass shooter seemed to have escape the notice of most people.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I see a lot where I work and it's amazing to see all the things people take. Then you have to take drug "Y" to counteract drug "X"s side effects. And so on and so on. I know people who have stopped all but 1 of their meds and actually been in better health because of it, even thou their healthcare professional swears they need to take "50000000" drugs for their issue.

Well of course they want people on multiple drugs. There is money to be made!

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Wait, so blame drugs, is that the point, really?

Maybe these mass shooters have all taken drugs because they are all bat **** insane.

I would think that being bat **** insane in the first place would be a more pertinent commonality.

Get me a study that says depressed people who take SSRIs are more likely to shoot up a school than equally depressed people who don't. That would actually mean something.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Maybe these mass shooters have all taken drugs because they are all bat **** insane.

I would think that being bat **** insane in the first place would be a more pertinent commonality.

Get me a study that says depressed people who take SSRIs are more likely to shoot up a school than equally depressed people who don't. That would actually mean something.

No time for that! We've got some gun-bannin' to do!!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

That's a typical cause-effect type error...wag the dog kind of thing. They may well have been disproportionately right handed and favored cheese too. Commonality does not support cause-effect. You have to go the other way as you've discribed.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    More than two things.

Save Jared Lee Loughner (the Giffords shooting was at a 'mini-mall), every mass shooting for the last 5+ decades was perpetrated in a 'Gun Free Zone'.

Some times specifically chosen because it was a gun free zone, as was the case with James Holmes.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Weed is bad , but SSRI's are good MMMKAY .

Just don't be around the folks when they stop taking them .

In my experience it hasn't caused violent behavior, but it has resulted in strangeness. I know several guys - one of them my brother-in-law - who had wives on SSRIs who ended up cheating on them. My former sister-in-law, once she was off the pills, freely admits she doesn't know what the heck she was thinking.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What kind of profiling would you like to see?

Some kind of new government watch list for depressed people?

I don't have a solution, but that's the argument I often hear... is that it's discriminatory to shine a light on people with mental illness.

Then again, I also oppose keeping firearms out of the hands of those with mental disabilities and a history of non-violence.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My senior year we had a "blog project" that we did and of course my topic was guns but one week the sub topic was about psychotropic drug use among mass shooters and it sounded alot like this article. Now if a dumb redneck (yes a teacher really called me a dumb redneck) can see this it must be painfully obvious to educated folks.

Top Bottom