• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I don't have a solution, but that's the argument I often hear... is that it's discriminatory to shine a light on people with mental illness.

Then again, I also oppose keeping firearms out of the hands of those with mental disabilities and a history of non-violence.

Once you make another list, it becomes much easier to be put on this list. You go into the doctor for something you feel is unrelated and they are now forced to report your name to whoever. Thats the main concern.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess we do hear that. Do you disagree?

Probably. I don't see it solving the problem of spree killers. As long as people want to kill, they will... and I don't see either liberal or conservative proposed ideas helping it. It's just the price of freedom/liberty. We can't hinder the mentally ill's means to kill people without hindering everyone else. That, I'm staunchly against.

Like hrearden said above - We can't fight for more "classifications" of people. Power over that sort of thing will be abused. Anything that moves us more toward a police-state... I'll fight against.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Probably. I don't see it solving the problem of spree killers. As long as people want to kill, they will... and I don't see either liberal or conservative proposed ideas helping it. It's just the price of freedom/liberty. We can't hinder the mentally ill's means to kill people without hindering everyone else. That, I'm staunchly against.

Like hrearden said above - We can't fight for more "classifications" of people. Power over that sort of thing will be abused. Anything that moves us more toward a police-state... I'll fight against.

What if the government were to make funds available for research into mass shootings with regard to real cause-effect data? The resulting data to be made available to mental health providers as a way to aid health care providers pinpoint possible problem areas in their patients...possibly helping them away from the path of becoming a monster mass murderer? The government funds all kinds of research, why not that? The fear is that money would be used to further a particular political agenda. Funding true research for a true answer is difficult.

gravitas73

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Aspergers all the shooters have this mental disorder!!!
    Even if you were right, how'd they get Aspergers?

Maybe the "normal" kids should get some better parenting and learn to not bully the less popular/gifted/rich/fashionable/trendy in their class, and should instead stand up for them when someone else bullies them.

I can guarantee you that the vast majority of kids with Aspergers in America do not go on killing sprees.

I can also guarantee you that the vast majority of gun owners in America do not go on killing sprees.

Our culture in general, namely the way we treat one another, breeds these sociopaths because our culture is quickly becoming more and more devoid of morality and character. It emanates from our leaders in how we treat the rest of the world, and it emanates from what TV and advertising tells us we should care about instead.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What if the government were to make funds available for research into mass shootings with regard to real cause-effect data? The resulting data to be made available to mental health providers as a way to aid health care providers pinpoint possible problem areas in their patients...possibly helping them away from the path of becoming a monster mass murderer? The government funds all kinds of research, why not that? The fear is that money would be used to further a particular political agenda. Funding true research for a true answer is difficult.

If the Gov. funded this it would be used against us in some way. Paranoid....Nah....realist....You bet

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wait, so blame drugs, is that the point, really?

Maybe these mass shooters have all taken drugs because they are all bat **** insane.

I would think that being bat **** insane in the first place would be a more pertinent commonality.

Get me a study that says depressed people who take SSRIs are more likely to shoot up a school than equally depressed people who don't. That would actually mean something.

Suicide can be an issue with SSRIs. That's well enough documented. So can anti-depressants cause people to want to harm other people? I suppose such a study would be a pretty good payday for lawyers on both sides.

Paxil Maker Held Liable in Murder/Suicide

Schell, 60, had been taking Paxil for just 48 hours when he shot and killed his wife, his daughter, his granddaughter and himself.

Central to Vickery's case were SmithKline internal documents showing the company was aware that a small number of people could become agitated or violent from Paxil. Despite this knowledge, Paxil packaging does not include a warning about suicide, violence or aggression, which makes the company liable, according to the verdict. Neither Zoloft or Prozac comes with such a warning and plaintiffs' lawyers have obtained internal documents from both companies showing their knowledge of the potential problems, according to Los Angeles attorney [George] Skip Murgatroyd.

The big question: Do these people kill because they have a screw loose? Or did the medication cause thoughts that wouldn't have been there otherwise? I'm not going to blame the drugs unless someone can prove it. But there's enough reason to say we need to answer that question, and not just dismiss it out of hand.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have several good friends on ssri'a and I can attest that they are not the same person they were before they started on them. Not in the sense that they aren't depressed but they simply do not feel anything. One in particular was arrested for shoplifting. Not because he needed the item or anything like that. He did it just to feel something. Not saying its right obviously.

After every recent shooting I've noticed the medicines they've been on and I've been waiting for an article like this to come out. We are too willing to give "medicine" and not willing enough to sit down and talk. I guess it's because time just costs too much to "waste" when you can talk to someone for 15 min and write them a script

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    We're so busy having "national conversations" about guns, and misogyny, and violent video games, and whatever other political topics for which a good crisis can't be wasted, there's no room for talking about the psychotic impact drugs may be having on people...Judging from what we choose to have a national conversation about, commercials like that juxtaposed against the backdrop of a crazy mass shooter seemed to have escape the notice of most people.

Indeed, let's have this conversation. What are the chances Bloomberg and Dianne Feinstein will place the pharmaceutical companies in the spotlight, the way they do the NRA? Uh huh, that's what I thought. Those suitcases of cash can't be affecting the "conversation," can they? So as far as I'm concerned, Fineswine is just a paid shill for the Pill Lobby.

These drugs can currently be prescribed for children as young as 6 (!), by a doctor with no specialized training in Mental Health (!), without any psychiatric diagnosis having been made (!). We have absolutely no business re-writing the Constitution over school shootings, as long as the foregoing remains the case.

Adult antidepressants suspected in suicides of Canadian kids | Toronto Star

These shootings started happening in the 1990s. That correlates with the use of the drugs, a lot better than it does the availability of any kind of firearm. We need to wise up. A giant chemistry experiment is being performed on millions of children, and the "outliers" are starting to pop up on the radar screen with alarming regularity. We know that some mommies with prescriptions in their hands aren't doing a good job of self-policing their deeply disturbed kids. It's beyond their control, and sniffle doctor + CVS offers them the easiest and most stigma-free apparent way out of a situation they can't handle.

We need to change the law to require that these drugs be administered (at least in children) by doctors licensed in the field of Mental Health. They are better trained to spot which kid out of 5,000 is potentially the dangerous one, compared to the average family practitioner. We need to find these kids when they're 8 or 10, not when they're 20 and after they've been unsuccessfully bounced from one psychotropic med to another by their family practitioner for 15 years (and don't want to take the meds anymore, and are now adults with the legal right not to do so). There's mounting evidence that the combination of America's "family doctor" and the CVS drive-through line, in their de-facto capacity as the front line mental health care providers for disturbed children, are leading to school shootings - and nobody wants to talk about it.

Want to take that on, Dianne Feinstein?

(PS - Hey, Moms Demand Action - what's in YOUR medicine cabinet?)

Last edited:

davidw221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    According to Breitbart, Lanza had Asperger Syndrome and another “personality disorder,” based on an ABC News report. He was described by neighbors as being ‘odd’ having obsessive-compulsive disorder, and being a loner type. Breitbart also reported that Nancy Lanza taught Kindergarten at the school. According to Penn State Hershey’s A.D.A.M Encyclopedia, Asperger Syndrome is:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Indeed, let's have this conversation. What are the chances Bloomberg and Dianne Feinstein will place the pharmaceutical companies in the spotlight, the way they do the NRA? Uh huh, that's what I thought. Those suitcases of cash can't be affecting the "conversation," can they? So as far as I'm concerned, Fineswine is just a paid shill for the Pill Lobby.

These drugs can currently be prescribed for children as young as 6 (!), by a doctor with no specialized training in Mental Health (!), without any psychiatric diagnosis having been made (!). We have absolutely no business re-writing the Constitution over school shootings, as long as the foregoing remains the case.

Adult antidepressants suspected in suicides of Canadian kids | Toronto Star

These shootings started happening in the 1990s. That correlates with the use of the drugs, a lot better than it does the availability of any kind of firearm. We need to wise up. A giant chemistry experiment is being performed on millions of children, and the "outliers" are starting to pop up on the radar screen with alarming regularity. We know that some mommies with prescriptions in their hands aren't doing a good job of self-policing their deeply disturbed kids. It's beyond their control, and sniffle doctor + CVS offers them the easiest and most stigma-free apparent way out of a situation they can't handle.

We need to change the law to require that these drugs be administered (at least in children) by doctors licensed in the field of Mental Health. They are better trained to spot which kid out of 5,000 is potentially the dangerous one, compared to the average family practitioner. We need to find these kids when they're 8 or 10, not when they're 20 and after they've been unsuccessfully bounced from one psychotropic med to another by their family practitioner for 15 years (and don't want to take the meds anymore, and are now adults with the legal right not to do so). There's mounting evidence that the combination of America's "family doctor" and the CVS drive-through line, in their de-facto capacity as the front line mental health care providers for disturbed children, are leading to school shootings - and nobody wants to talk about it.

Want to take that on, Dianne Feinstein?

(PS - Hey, Moms Demand Action - what's in YOUR medicine cabinet?)
    Oh but no. It's been declaired by INGOlectuals that no discussions may happen untill we have a study that proves it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm thinking that there are plenty of people who take SSRIs that don't do crazy stuff, you just don't hear about them! I cannot think of 1 person I know that has acted crazy on SSRIs. they do have to be taken properly, and tapered off of when quitting. SSRIs, along with counseling, can be a good thing for so many people. I like to live a natural lifestyle, but I have seen a lot of good come out of being on proper meds. None of the people I know acted insane before, during, or after being on SSRIs, they are just normal everyday people who are struggling with depression, anxiety, etc. i'm sure, like with any meds, if not used properly, or someone is misdiagnosed, they could cause harm.
    Just because some crazy guys happened to take SSRIs, now we want to blame that? Statistics can be so skewed, you can make them say anything you want.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's always going to be blaming of something. Be it gender, video games, aspergers, location, political affiliation, guns, medication, age, role models, movies, tv, media etc etc...

Doing this is politically sound, because you have to look like you're doing something... even though I think, deep down, they know guns/games/etc aren't the problem.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    While I'll agree that guns in themselves aren't the problem, I keep hearing people say, "America doesn't have a gun problem, it has a mental health problem."

Is this really true? Factually and statistically, is this true? I mean, I'm sure we're probably more medicated than other nations because having feelings is for the weak and you should be on three different pills to balance your unnatural, natural feelings... but is there an actual statistic that compares, say, schizophrenia rates between other nations?

It almost makes me think that the whole 'mental health' thing will be used as a ploy to grab guns as more people with normal feelings are labeled as mentally unstable. Get prescribed an anti-deppresant, mentally unfit, guns grabbed. Decrease in energy and lack of focus at work? Get prescribed adderall, mentally unfit, guns grabbed. Spoke to a shrink because your wife left you the same month your parents died? Obviously a nut-job, mentally unfit, guns grabbed.

Top Bottom