Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Secret Santa Causes Anxiety For Millennials...

Jobsite research says that millennials feel Secret Santa is stressful and anxiety-inducing. Office birthday parties are also troublesome. The we got a medal for losing generation cannot deal with the simple stress of office socializing.

I have always had the confidence that if we were ever in a very bad situation, war, depression, pandemic, etc. that the young Americans would rise up like their predecessors, I am beginning to doubt that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    Jobsite research says that millennials feel Secret Santa is stressful and anxiety-inducing. Office birthday parties are also troublesome. The we got a medal for losing generation cannot deal with the simple stress of office socializing.

I have always had the confidence that if we were ever in a very bad situation, war, depression, pandemic, etc. that the young Americans would rise up like their predecessors, I am beginning to doubt that...
    EDIT: OK, boomer.

Did you bother to read the article? Or did you just use this as another Boomer v. Millennials?
    https://www.jobsite.co.uk/worklife/t...-rounds-24681/

The article states nothing about office socializing, but incessant demand for them to "chip in" for gifts and the financial stress it places on them compared to older employees (e.g. Boomers) who are much more financially stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Fox new's spin
    • The financial strain of contributing to activities such as ĎSecret Santaí and presents for birthdays and promotions has led 26% of young workers to dip into savings and/or overdrafts to contribute.
    • The average millennialís whip-round is 34% more expensive, with their average contribution reaching £9 (and a total of £151 per year, compared to £7 / £99 per year for all workers).
    • 17% of Millennials have felt judged by colleagues in relation to their contributions.
    • Jobsite report reveals that almost three quarters (73%) of workers aged between 23-38 have contributed more than they could afford to an office celebration.
    • Experts call for company budgets to help de-pressurise the likes of Christmas gifts and their amounts.
    Last edited by JettaKnight; 11-26-2019 at 12:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

I will admit I am not a fan of secret Santa gift exchange at work. We usually put out a wish list/hint sheet in the break room and inevitably everyone lists gift cards or generic gifts like wine or candles. We do a Christmas lunch, usually on the 24th, and knock off early, and that is fun.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    EDIT: OK, boomer.

Did you bother to read the article? Or did you just use this as another Boomer v. Millennials?
    https://www.jobsite.co.uk/worklife/t...-rounds-24681/

The article states nothing about office socializing, but incessant demand for them to "chip in" for gifts and the financial stress it places on them compared to older employees (e.g. Boomers) who are much more financially stable.
    There is an article on Daily Wire that will not load on my device that referenced multiple studies and researchers , not just that one.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

OK people. I am a Boomer. And damned proud. Good to have made it out this far.

I get it. Not every Millennial is a douche but not every Boomer is cool either.

Boomer. Man go figure....

Am I offended......Heck no. But you Millennials seem to be.

Its getting tough to get Ingo to play secret Santa any more....
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

It's only a problem when you start as "Secret Santa" and switch to "Yankee Swap" when things get boring.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

I think most of us, here anyways, are joking when we call each other boomer or millennials, or act offended. Itís all in good fun. Not saying some donít get offended, I dunno maybe they do. Secret Santa should be a fun way for people to enjoy the holidays with each other, shouldnít be stressful. If I didnít have kids and 8 nieces and nephews to buy for Iíd probably participate, just hard to do when wife homeschools and whatnot. Hopefully it lasts long enough for me to be able to participate someday, Iíll keep making my naughty and nice list until then.
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

Yeah, we don't do that here. Assistants give something thoughtful to their attorneys and the attorneys give something thoughtful and expensive to their assistants. How expensive, by tradition, goes along with the attorney's place in the hierarchy. My thoughtfulness runs to various kinds of gift cards with a nice greeting card.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    There is an article on Daily Wire that will not load on my device that referenced multiple studies and researchers , not just that one.
    Kinda ridiculous isnít it? The generational gap that people label each other with so that they can do ďstudiesĒ on this generation vs that generation... kinda dumb imo. Letís rewind. When you were in your 20s, just bought a house, recently married, having young children, and still trying to go out and have fun, was secret Santa high on your priority list? Whyís it gotta be millennial vs boomer vs whatever? There isnít older people that are in that situation also?

Tl;dr *Triggered millennial*

I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

Seems like a silly thing to study in any context.

We would all be idiots to judge an individual on trends that are observed as to a large group.

...but darned if some people in the group aren't fighting to keep the stereotypes alive.

I have had young people brag about how their generation's priorities, not working all the time an so-called "work life balance" is more positive than previous generations...and 3 minutes later complaining that they can't afford to buy a house which was SO EASY for older generations...and this was in a job interview. But yeah, that's one idiot. 'Course many of the young people we've had here in the last 5 years spent a lot of time making sure they were taking every day off they could....and some that weren't in the policy. My goal when I started my career-path to prove that I could be trusted as the "go to guy". Most of the newbies are trying NOT to be the "go to guy". It screws with their time off.

I actually think that the fact that we, obviously, hire college and professional school graduates sets us up to experience the worst of the worst in the millenial stereotype.

Last edited by HoughMade; 11-26-2019 at 13:34.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast