Secret Santa Causes Anxiety For Millennials...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Boomer here. I like to socialize with, well, anyone. But I'm not a fan of office situations where you are asked for money. I don't care if its a holiday party, pitch in, or some co-workers kid selling cookies.

I think these things should be tacked to a bulletin board so each individual can decide how they want to participate. Or if then even want to participate at all.

I have a steady parade of people where I work asking for money for this and that. I say no quite often.

I'm in though for Christmas parties at our CEO's house, summer BBQ out back of our building, drinks with co-workers after work, etc. Our CEO is a little hurt when we don't attend these things because she wants us to be a "family" but there is never any request to bring gifts.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Boomer here. I like to socialize with, well, anyone. But I'm not a fan of office situations where you are asked for money. I don't care if its a holiday party, pitch in, or some co-workers kid selling cookies.

I think these things should be tacked to a bulletin board so each individual can decide how they want to participate. Or if then even want to participate at all.

I have a steady parade of people where I work asking for money for this and that. I say no quite often.

I'm in though for Christmas parties at our CEO's house, summer BBQ out back of our building, drinks with co-workers after work, etc. Our CEO is a little hurt when we don't attend these things because she wants us to be a "family" but there is never any request to bring gifts.
    Totally agree.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'm a boomer and will participate and encourage office participation. In order to encourage participation, limits that are agreeable must be set. $5 bucks, $10? The amount is not what is important, it is the fun and it encourages communication. I also encourage collectively helping a needy family as a work group project. Monthly birthday celebrations are fun. All this encourages interaction, which is a good thing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm a boomer and will participate and encourage office participation. In order to encourage participation, limits that are agreeable must be set. $5 bucks, $10? The amount is not what is important, it is the fun and it encourages communication. I also encourage collectively helping a needy family as a work group project. Monthly birthday celebrations are fun. All this encourages interaction, which is a good thing.

Our company does a monthly lunch for all of us to celebrate whoever have a birthday that month. It's all paid for by the company. No gifts. Just food, cake and fellowship.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Jobsite research says that millennials feel Secret Santa is stressful and anxiety-inducing. Office birthday parties are also troublesome. The we got a medal for losing generation cannot deal with the simple stress of office socializing.

I have always had the confidence that if we were ever in a very bad situation, war, depression, pandemic, etc. that the young Americans would rise up like their predecessors, I am beginning to doubt that...

Gee, couldn't be having to come up with money you don't have, to buy a gift for someone who doesn't need it, because the office thinks it's a trendy and hip thing to do?

Yes, back in your generation you could work a part time job and afford college tuition and a mortgage for a house, while raising multiple kids, and the wife could stay home. Other counties aren't buying US goods like hotcakes anymore, europe isn't a pile of rubble needing US goods to survive anymore.

All of these fads that were created during that time period are woefully out of place in current times.

They'd be better off taking up anonymous donations to help the family of a worker who is having trouble making ends meet. Even then that seems a bit tone deaf.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Gee, couldn't be having to come up with money you don't have, to buy a gift for someone who doesn't need it, because the office thinks it's a trendy and hip thing to do?

Yes, back in your generation you could work a part time job and afford college tuition and a mortgage for a house, while raising multiple kids, and the wife could stay home. Other counties aren't buying US goods like hotcakes anymore, europe isn't a pile of rubble needing US goods to survive anymore.

All of these fads that were created during that time period are woefully out of place in current times.

They'd be better off taking up anonymous donations to help the family of a worker who is having trouble making ends meet. Even then that seems a bit tone deaf.

Please, you know nothing of me personally, do not make personal assumptions. We all know what the first three ,letters of assume spell.

Otherwise, this shows a low level of understanding what many people went through back then...

If a person cannot buy a house and get a college degree they are beyond help...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Wonder what the average cost of the cell phones that the people freaking out over spending 10 bucks at the office is. Same people probably don't bat an eye at dropping 6 or 700 bucks or more to have the latest i-phone so they can Instaface or Twitogram. I get it. It's discretionary funds and theirs to do with what they want, but to stress out or get anxiety over it? :scratch: They can always decline to participate. Pretty sure nobody's going to lose their job over it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Please, you know nothing of me personally, do not make personal assumptions. We all know what the first three ,letters of assume spell.

Otherwise, this shows a low level of understanding what many people went through back then...

If you legitimately believe the latter, then my assumptions were not off base.
    Baby boomers thought altruism through immigration was a wonderful kind thing, and drove the wages in the country down to the point that is no longer possible, then have the gall to complain when anyone mentions it, as they sit on social security that the kids they're criticizing will never be able to have, yet are having to pay into it.

Yes, you can still afford a house and a college tuition. You aren't doing it on a part time job anymore, though. And if you're trying to raise a family, you simply do not have the time to put in 70 hours a week and still attend college.

And another thing, didn't boomer raise this generation that they like to complain about so much? Are the parents never responsible for how their kids turn out?

Wonder what the average cost of the cell phones that the people freaking out over spending 10 bucks at the office is. Same people probably don't bat an eye at dropping 6 or 700 bucks or more to have the latest i-phone so they can Instaface or Twitogram. I get it. It's discretionary funds and theirs to do with what they want, but to stress out or get anxiety over it?
    :scratch: They can always decline to participate. Pretty sure nobody's going to lose their job over it.

I guess you haven't had a more modern job. Those expensive phones are a job requirement, especially anywhere I've ever worked. I tried to hang onto my old flip phone for as long as I could but my employer effectively forced me to buy a smart phone.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wonder what the average cost of the cell phones that the people freaking out over spending 10 bucks at the office is. Same people probably don't bat an eye at dropping 6 or 700 bucks or more to have the latest i-phone so they can Instaface or Twitogram. I get it. It's discretionary funds and theirs to do with what they want, but to stress out or get anxiety over it? :scratch: They can always decline to participate. Pretty sure nobody's going to lose their job over it.

I'm trying to hold onto my flip phone, but my job might force me to "upgrade" for two-factor authentication.

And not participating does get you branded as "not a team player".

Or just poor. Both of those items are very expensive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm trying to hold onto my flip phone, but my job might force me to "upgrade" for two-factor authentication.

And not participating does get you branded as "not a team player".

Or just poor. Both of those items are very expensive.

Been with my current employer for 10 years (as of January 2nd), 15 years with my previous employer, 10 years with the employer before that and I am very much known as a team player despite my lack of participation in social functions. I'm not getting paid to be social. I'm getting paid to do my job, and I am more than willing to help out others with their jobs whenever I can. Seems to me that I'm the very definition of a team player.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gen X here. I find the expectation of gifting to co-workers as childish. Eat together and bond, donate the money you'd have spent on BS trinkets nobody really wanted to a charity, and learn to adult better.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    EDIT: OK, boomer.

Did you bother to read the article? Or did you just use this as another Boomer v. Millennials?
    https://www.jobsite.co.uk/worklife/...als-feel-fleeced-by-office-whip-rounds-24681/

The article states nothing about office socializing, but incessant demand for them to "chip in" for gifts and the financial stress it places on them compared to older employees (e.g. Boomers) who are much more financially stable.

Easily rectified. Bah! Humbug. Problem solved.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I find that those who complain about the secret santas, occasional gifting to co-workers, buying cookies from co-worker's children and so on......must be on some guilt trip and like to spread their misery to others. Group think effect or bowling team syndrome. It's fun to give. Gag gifts on a birthday, immature secret santa groups, another cookie sale......they're all fun and bring people together for fun and good times. Very often, spending 5 bucks on a gag gift has more rewards that one can imagine. If someone is not interested, for whatever reason, so be it but do not ruin for others. Complaining about it, whining about it and or ridiculing it does nothing but take the joy out of something others may enjoy.

If you do not want to participate, it's ok. Kindly say not today or I'm not into that.....and leave it at that.

This has nothing do with categories of individuals and all to do with human interaction of another level. Play nice, have fun.....

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    OK people. I am a Boomer. And damned proud. Good to have made it out this far.

I get it. Not every Millennial is a douche but not every Boomer is cool either.

Boomer. Man go figure....:):

Am I offended......Heck no. But you Millennials seem to be.

Its getting tough to get Ingo to play secret Santa any more....:dunno:

Are there any millennials on INGO?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Driving my older daughter home from college yesterday, she was telling me about a class where the professor was criticizing millenials as a group. I chimed in as to how it is stupid to judge anyone according to a group they are born into whether it be generation, ethnicity, race, etc.....

She nodded and said, yeah, but the professor was criticizing the millenials and talking that the class, we, were millenials. We're not. We're gen Z and it offended people to be lumped in with millenials.

Now, the professor was trying to demonstrate to the students what it is like to be judged by the group rather than as an individual....it seems to have backfired as the main push-back was something like "yeah, that's group's horrible....how dare you think we're in it!!!"

Millenials, sorry, you're taking fire from all sides.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Gen X here. I find the expectation of gifting to co-workers as childish. Eat together and bond, donate the money you'd have spent on BS trinkets nobody really wanted to a charity, and learn to adult better.

This. 100% this.

Wouldnt that money be better spent going to children who don’t have the luxuries we have? I’m a grown man, I don’t need a gift. I get it, if people want to do it for the fun have at it. It shouldn’t be expected tho. I’d rather my money go towards a kid that’s waking up Christmas morning with next to nothing. That’s heartbreaking

Top Bottom