Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Trump & Middle East: Isreal & UAE Treaty

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53770859

"The UAE's ambassador to the US, Yousef Al Otaiba, said in a statement that it was "a win for diplomacy and for the region".

"It is a significant advance in Arab-Israeli relations that lowers tensions and creates new energy for positive change," he added.

The agreement marks only the third Israel-Arab peace deal since Israel's declaration of independence in 1948. Egypt signed one in 1979, and Jordan in 1994."

User Info Menu

The UAE is depicting it a bit differently, but they kinda have to.

This is solidly in the same category as the Nork situation: credit to Trump for taking a run at it because it is a worthy effort. Any success at toppling the windmill will have to be measured at a later date.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

I get that they have to parse their message a certain way domestically, but there was a lot positive coming from the UAE's ambassador.

User Info Menu

I'll be curious to see how many US chips went into that game. The camp David treaty was President Carter setting Begin and Sadat down, opening the US checkbook and asking how much.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    I'll be curious to see how many US chips went into that game. The camp David treaty was President Carter setting Begin and Sadat down, opening the US checkbook and asking how much.
    In ordinary times, I'd even be ok with that. US subsidizing peace (at least at some level) over there is a winner for us.

These, though, are not ordinary times. On principle, I'm still ok with it, but as a matter of public fisc, I don't think we can afford to offer very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    In ordinary times, I'd even be ok with that. US subsidizing peace (at least at some level) over there is a winner for us.

These, though, are not ordinary times. On principle, I'm still ok with it, but as a matter of public fisc, I don't think we can afford to offer very much.
    What makes you say that? They can just go to the current "default" mode - print more money.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    What makes you say that? They can just go to the current "default" mode - print more money.
    hahaha I hear you.

I said "I don't think we can afford" much... I have no doubt that "they" think that's an easy problem to solve.

User Info Menu

I don't think President Trump reached his current position without getting something if he is giving something. I doubt he has the deficient mentality of thinking you can pay for peace.

He's come out on more than one occasion saying deals should be a win-win, meaning both sides should benefit from a deal. That doesn't include paying for peace.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Not sure that Trump would go that way, but I'm open to being proved wrong. However, Obama/Biden certainly thought that was the way it was done with the Iran deal.
    Antifa should rebrand themselves Vanilla ISIS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post

Given Iran's machinations in the region, I have no doubt that this is a mutually beneficial deal for all to reduce Iranian influence in the region.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast