• ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11464826/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I'm curious if many of you have seen this yet. It's on Netflix and it's a documentary that essentially exposes what Social Media is doing to not only our country/society but other countries as well.

I work for a "big tech" company and we have AI models that contribute to this sort of behavior that tries to predict / give the end 'user' something that they want or will fit their bias.

It's an excellent watch as it's very true and very relevant, especially if you have children. It's no coincidence that tensions / division has escalated dramatically since the early 2010s when social media became available on your mobile device and was at your fingertips.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Yup, watched this one. Ive been off the social media since 2013, and that is considered a red flag at my age.

I found this piece thrilling and terrorizing. IndianaSoloMcfly media review gives an 8.5 out of 10. Would recommend.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just finished it tonight. I run a Facebook group to my target market, run a lot of Facebook ads etc. I use my brain to try figure out what my target market is thinking, what they will engage with, what draws them in, so I can sell them my wares.

Big tech is using AI and algorithms to do this on a massive scale.

I said this in another thread, but FacebookGoogleAppleAmazon control what we see, think, and feel. They're in control now.

On that note, I don't think anyone should allow their children to have social media. Seems as if they contributors to that documentary feel the same.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I just finished it tonight. I run a Facebook group to my target market, run a lot of Facebook ads etc. I use my brain to try figure out what my target market is thinking, what they will engage with, what draws them in, so I can sell them my wares.

Big tech is using AI and algorithms to do this on a massive scale.

I said this in another thread, but FacebookGoogleAppleAmazon control what we see, think, and feel. They're in control now.

On that note, I don't think anyone should allow their children to have social media. Seems as if they contributors to that documentary feel the same.

100%

To the children part, not only are you offering up your kids to the highest bidder on what they are seeing, they are also comparing themselves to these doctored instagram photos and filtered snapchat photos thinking they should look like this or they or ugly or not good enough. There are so many more mental issues arising since social media took off.

There's also more violence perpetrated by these groups which is usually baseless or not fact checked. The example in the video was some nutjob showing up to a pizza place with a long gun there to "liberate" children being held captive because obviously pizza places are pedo rings.

It's insane how gullible people are and what you can make them believe if you keep feeding them the same nonsense over and over and people around them ('models' like them) click on / agree / talk about the same stuff.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have it on my list to watch. A coworker told me about it just yesterday. The only thing that worries me about watching it is that it will make me want to leave INGO in my effort to remove myself from as much social media as possible.:(

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have it on my list to watch. A coworker told me about it just yesterday. The only thing that worries me about watching it is that it will make me want to leave INGO in my effort to remove myself from as much social media as possible.:(

Forums aren't AS bad as these big tech companies that use advanced algos, but you do generally place yourself in an echo chamber which can be toxic.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's the positive feedback loop created by AI bias algorithms that are the bad part. INGO does have a bit of a bubble, sure, but there is a diverse enough spectrum of opinions. INGO's content related algorithm mostly consists of the list-o-threads you haven't read yet, and the subscribed threads with new posts, and email notifications.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Forums aren't AS bad as these big tech companies that use advanced algos, but you do generally place yourself in an echo chamber which can be toxic.

It's the positive feedback loop created by AI bias algorithms that are the bad part. INGO does have a bit of a bubble, sure, but there is a diverse enough spectrum of opinions. INGO's content related algorithm mostly consists of the list-o-threads you haven't read yet, and the subscribed threads with new posts, and email notifications.

Thanks. I am conservative by nature and I tend to post in certain areas/topics only. There are many threads that I consider posting in and I even write up a post, but then I leave without actually posting it.

I only wish that posts in forums would be deleted after a period of time but I know that isn't happening.

I have posts from triathlon, Miata, DIY and probably a few other forums floating around out there.:)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Watched it. Excellent package of things I largely knew. The masses have no idea the power they have given a few tech companies.

We must act, and act soon. They must be regulated like the phone companies before them...

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    ... We must act, and act soon. They must be regulated like the phone companies before them...

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ now! ALL the social media outlets need to have Common Carrier status applied to them. The "for a fee" element should be covered by the value the user provides through the provision of the data.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ now! ALL the social media outlets need to have Common Carrier status applied to them. The "for a fee" element should be covered by the value the user provides through the provision of the data.

And they should have common carrier status, meaning if it is legal it flies, not up to them to judge the truth.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Watched it. Excellent package of things I largely knew. The masses have no idea the power they have given a few tech companies.

We must act, and act soon. They must be regulated like the phone companies before them...

Completely agree. I agreed with the problem statement. Most of which we already knew (as others have said, above). Frankly, I was stunned by the conclusion. Here's what I heard:

1. We set out to create good things with positive intent.
    2. Those good things turned out badly and are destructive.
    3. We, those who fudged this up in the first place, are the ones who should use our good intentions to make it better. You can trust us because we have good intent...

Nope. Not interested in that line of reasoning. There is a solution, but it will not come from the same people who created this mess. Have a seat, the rest of us will take it from here. Thanks!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Completely agree. I agreed with the problem statement. Most of which we already knew (as others have said, above). Frankly, I was stunned by the conclusion. Here's what I heard:

1. We set out to create good things with positive intent.
    2. Those good things turned out badly and are destructive.
    3. We, those who fudged this up in the first place, are the ones who should use our good intentions to make it better. You can trust us because we have good intent...

Nope. Not interested in that line of reasoning. There is a solution, but it will not come from the same people who created this mess. Have a seat, the rest of us will take it from here. Thanks!

That was exactly the conclusion of the techies in the show. I agree, they are not the solution...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm curious if many of you have seen this yet. It's on Netflix and it's a documentary that essentially exposes what Social Media is doing to not only our country/society but other countries as well.

I mean, if that were the case they could filter out stuff like, oh I don't know, RIOTS happening in Washington or Oregon and people here wouldn't have any idea it was happening.

Sounds kinda crazy.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I mean, if that were the case they could filter out stuff like, oh I don't know, RIOTS happening in Washington or Oregon and people here wouldn't have any idea it was happening.

Sounds kinda crazy.

Not the case. They're in it to make money. That drives views. It's all about views and to get you engaged / glued to the platform. They will feed you any bull**** that you will look at and that's the goal, regardless of the consequences. They can make money off of you by targeting you with paid ads and they just slide them into content they think you'll like / view.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I watched it roughly a week ago and there weren't too many things I didn't already know, but it tied it all together very well in a way that explains so much of what we have been seeing the past few years.

The one thing that stood out to me was the part about how their own internal studies indicate that their algorithms are 6 times more likely to show you disinformation than actual information because that is what people are more likely to click on.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like they said in the show, fake news spreads six times faster than real news. And that translates into more views, likes and shares. And that drives ad revenue.

oops, missed your post Rob! Darn smart phone,lol.

Top Bottom