• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Honestly gun and ammunition companies have been benefiting pretty greatly from the social unrest. I thought I read on here that one company has $80 million in back orders. Now I'm not saying that they are responsible for any of it, just that they're benefitting from the added business. Social media bombarding people with news of violence coupled with an openly very anti-gun candidate in an election year makes the firearms industry as a whole a pretty good profit. Social media helps with that.

We really cannot know what is in individuals news feeds, but based on the media coverage that social media likes to promote, peaceful protests, I doubt that is where the impetus comes from...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Not the case. They're in it to make money. That drives views. It's all about views and to get you engaged / glued to the platform. They will feed you any bull**** that you will look at and that's the goal, regardless of the consequences. They can make money off of you by targeting you with paid ads and they just slide them into content they think you'll like / view.

Corporations and foundations are as lifeforms that feed on money.
    Some corporations and foundations are harnessed to tasks as agents of change.
    When they are harnessed to these tasks money is a tool, not an exclusive end goal.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Watched this last night. No surprises, but then I've seen the techniques used and warnings before. Definitely push everyone you know to watch this.

https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/

https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/reclaim-your-screen-time/

https://datadetoxkit.org/en/home/

THIS ONE TIP WILL SAVE YOU AGGRAVATION AND TIME THROUGHOUT THE DAY

(like the click-bait headline... :ugh: )

Turn off ALL notifications that do not provide timely information for you. They said this in the documentary but it bears repeating.

I did this a week or so ago. Only have notifications now for my banking apps, calendar and the messenger I use. Not seeing the little flashing light all the time prevents the Pavlovian response of checking the phone. After this week or so, I do find myself not pawing at the phone like a good little drone.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Ok, I'll be the downer. Even with regulation, not much will change. Because, firstly, money, and secondly, people. It's not that they're stupid, they just don't give a **** in the grand scheme of things. How many people just work, come home, smoke a joint, drink, or whatever they choose and plop down in front of the TV or play video games? I watched it and I agree, but to what end? It's a legit criticism of the idea that every quarter needs to be more profitable than the last in a capitalistic system. Like they said, a dead tree, or whale, are worth more than their live counterparts. When a product is free, you are the product. How many are willing to pay for these services? Now ask all the randoms at Walmart if they wanna pay for gmail or any of the other free services they use.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ok, I'll be the downer. Even with regulation, not much will change. Because, firstly, money, and secondly, people. It's not that they're stupid, they just don't give a **** in the grand scheme of things. How many people just work, come home, smoke a joint, drink, or whatever they choose and plop down in front of the TV or play video games? I watched it and I agree, but to what end? It's a legit criticism of the idea that every quarter needs to be more profitable than the last in a capitalistic system. Like they said, a dead tree, or whale, are worth more than their live counterparts. When a product is free, you are the product. How many are willing to pay for these services? Now ask all the randoms at Walmart if they wanna pay for gmail or any of the other free services they use.

We can each do our best to not FEED THE BEAST but I do agree without some significant event people are just going to blindly install and use apps on their phone and computer.

Personally, other than Disqus for commenting at some places, I'm social media free on both phone and computer.

DuckDuckGo for search...

Brave for browser... (SHIELDS UP reveals what trackers and ad software has been blocked)

I pay for my email service (mail.com) :rockwoot:

Also have location services on my phone shut off.

Ramyankee42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Cool, will have to watch it on my days off. Don't have enough time to watch it at work, too busy scrolling through my Twitter and Facebook feed looking for likes and shares.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Watched this last night. No surprises, but then I've seen the techniques used and warnings before. Definitely push everyone you know to watch this.

https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/

https://www.thesocialdilemma.com/reclaim-your-screen-time/

https://datadetoxkit.org/en/home/

THIS ONE TIP WILL SAVE YOU AGGRAVATION AND TIME THROUGHOUT THE DAY

(like the click-bait headline... :ugh: )

Turn off ALL notifications that do not provide timely information for you. They said this in the documentary but it bears repeating.

I did this a week or so ago. Only have notifications now for my banking apps, calendar and the messenger I use. Not seeing the little flashing light all the time prevents the Pavlovian response of checking the phone. After this week or so, I do find myself not pawing at the phone like a good little drone.

I sent out a mass ringless voicemail marketing blast the other day. The forwarding number from the blast was to my cell phone.

My phone was ringing off the hook for days.

My fault of course. But I turned on Do Not Disturb on my phone.

I usually do that in the evenings. Prevents all the buzzes that grab my attention from notifications.

Now I’ve been leaving it on all the time. Just gotta remember to check my phone every once in awhile.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was asked by an engineer last week why I didn't return his text messages, I told him my flip phone doesn't receive text. He looked stunned, I smiled and said just call, I don't mind talking at all.:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was asked by an engineer last week why I didn't return his text messages, I told him my flip phone doesn't receive text. He looked stunned, I smiled and said just call, I don't mind talking at all.:)

DoggyMama and I both have smart phones, but she's a texter. Now, if you're not in a hurry to hear back from someone, texting is fine, but if you want to get MY attention? Call. I might be away from my phone (but within earshot of a ring, not a "ding"), or it may be in my pocket or I may be driving with the radio on, and I don't notice a text.

There have been a few times when I've been doing the grocery shopping and she's texted me to ask me to pick up something not on the list, and I missed it. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :faint: but I hate talking to people! :runaway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    DoggyMama and I both have smart phones, but she's a texter. Now, if you're not in a hurry to hear back from someone, texting is fine, but if you want to get MY attention? Call. I might be away from my phone (but within earshot of a ring, not a "ding"), or it may be in my pocket or I may be driving with the radio on, and I don't notice a text.

There have been a few times when I've been doing the grocery shopping and she's texted me to ask me to pick up something not on the list, and I missed it. :dunno:
    Most everyone where I work is remote now. Most communication is through texting. Other than that, the only people I text with is family. And when I text my son, it’s mostly to troll him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most everyone where I work is remote now. Most communication is through texting. Other than that, the only people I text with is family. And when I text my son, it’s mostly to troll him.

Yeah, most of my texting is with coworkers, but even then it's usually just when we've all lost VPN connection (like yesterday) or if my internet drops, or I need to reboot for updates or something. But then, we all have our cell phones sitting right next to us, so it works well enough. Not so when I'm not working.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

I always try to remember to check my phone at the end of shopping, before I even approach the checkout line to get any input the S.O. might have sent while I was shopping.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just watched it.

A couple of thoughts:

First, I'm sure that many people had the reaction: "isn't it horrible that the OTHER side does things like that." Talk about missing the point.

Second, I have long been saddened by the impulse to carefully curate our information consumption to only be fed what we already agree with. I think we are seeing the many ill effects of that right now. 2020, in fact, is one big "those OTHER people are idiots" fest.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Watched this a few weeks ago and it’s actually easy to see once you understand how things work. No wonder people are becoming more and more extreme

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Want to bump up this old thread.
    I watched this a while back, and watched it again tonight. Still just as good and meaningful, but the bad news is I don’t think things are getting any better as far as our own division or people not living in their own echo chambers.

You have to be intentional to get out or stay out of an echo chamber mindset.

If you haven’t watched it, I think it’s really important to. And let your kids watch it.

Top Bottom