Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
  1. #1
    Grandmaster eldirector's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    IN Boating Laws - AKA: what a convoluted mess

    So, my FIL decided to give me his old (1960's) 2-person aluminum fishing boat. He hasn't used it since the early 1990's. Thought it would be nice to take my little girl out a few times a summer, rather than just fish from the shore.

    BUT... because it has an electric trolling motor, it is a "motor boat". It must be titled, registered, and properly stickered with half-dozen different tags. It has NEVER been titled, doesn't have a Hull ID number (just a serial number), but does have a really old (1991) registration form. There are some numbers on the side, that I guess are the registration numbers.

    According to the BMV, I need a Bill of Sale (for a free boat), and a I need to have it inspected by a cop (supposedly $5). Probably ask permission to get a Hull ID (another $10 and a bunch of paperwork and time) since it doesn't have one. Then I get to pay yearly title/registration/LAR/etc... fees. It feels like the State doesn't WANT you to take your kids fishing.

    Half tempted to remove the trolling motor and just row the thing. Don't need ANY of this mess. Just some $5 DNR sticker.

    Any LEO on here bored, and want to fill out some boat paperwork?

    I'm supposed to dig out his little boat trailer from the back of his garage next week. Don't know if I WANT to deal with that. I'm sure it will need a dozen forms and another $100 for the luxury of having a crappy little boat trailer.

    Ryan "ElDirector"


  2. #2
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I hope you have a pickup truck to transport your boat. And when in state waters please have life vests for everyone in the boat. The DNR will be more hospitable if there are any questions.

  3. #3
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    If it has a boat trailer that will also need a tile and registration. If not you will have to do the same with the bill of sale and police inspection. Iíve been down this road with many boats and trailers. Good luck fishing if you ever get to it. Lol.

  4. #4
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I also have jumped thru all the hoops you are considering. I would get the $5.00 permit and use it as a row boat until you figure out if you will use it enough to warrant the other permits, battery etc. Good luck, boat ownership is another drain on your time and money but fun.

  5. #5
    Grandmaster DoggyDaddy's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SAILORGOLF46 View Post
    I also have jumped thru all the hoops you are considering. I would get the $5.00 permit and use it as a row boat until you figure out if you will use it enough to warrant the other permits, battery etc. Good luck, boat ownership is another drain on your time and money but fun.
    Like the old saying goes, "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money."

  6. #6
    Snooter Tactically Fat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    B ust
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand

    Hardly anything as expensive as a free boat. Or horse.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

  7. #7
    Grandmaster eldirector's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Well, I have been informed by La Directora that we will be titling and registering her father's old boat. She want us to use it just as she remembers using it growing up. It is a sentimental thing. Can't argue with that (well, I could, but I would lose).

    Sooo..... How does one get a cop to inspect a boat? I assume this is NOT worthy of 911.

    Can I take it somewhere? Personally, I try to keep my "professional" interactions with law enforcement to a minimum.

    Side note: Looks like they kept up on the trailer registration all these years. Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.
    Ryan "ElDirector"


  8. #8
    Grandmaster eldirector's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Hardly anything as expensive as a free boat. Or horse.
    Ha! My kiddo has been riding lately. I see that in my future.

    I pick expensive hobbies: Jeeps, guns, boats, horses.... I need to take up knitting or something.
    Ryan "ElDirector"


  9. #9
    Snooter Tactically Fat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.
    There's a chance that the boat and trailer are too corroded and unsafe to be usable? Ahem...

    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Ha! My kiddo has been riding lately. I see that in my future.

    I pick expensive hobbies: Jeeps, guns, boats, horses.... I need to take up knitting or something.
    Dude. You're in so. much. trouble. My wife is a "rehabilitated" horse girl. Raised on a horse farm (13 head at max). Competed on high-level national show circuits when she was a kid/teen. Her dad was in the Great American Horse Race in 1976 (https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ord-fauntleroy , https://www.amazon.com/Great-America.../dp/0963830201 -- her dad is the guy wearing the hat in that cover photo, The Great American Horse Race of 1976) She was boarding a horse at a barn just south of Bargersville when we started dating. He (finally...) died about 4.5 years ago. So. Much. Money. And her barn was CHEAP cheap CHEAP compared to many.

    My advice to you: Keep up with the lessons. Use someone else's horse and saddle. Buy her her own helmet and boots and be done with it. See if you can work out a deal with the barn to trade her work for a discount on riding lessons. Don't buy your own animal.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

  10. #10
    Grandmaster femurphy77's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Well, I have been informed by La Directora that we will be titling and registering her father's old boat. She want us to use it just as she remembers using it growing up. It is a sentimental thing. Can't argue with that (well, I could, but I would lose).

    Sooo..... How does one get a cop to inspect a boat? I assume this is NOT worthy of 911.

    Can I take it somewhere? Personally, I try to keep my "professional" interactions with law enforcement to a minimum.

    Side note: Looks like they kept up on the trailer registration all these years. Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.
    If you're in the county call the SD and tell them you want to do a VIN check. They'll send someone out when they're available. Supposed to be a $5 charge or something like that but when I did it he wouldn't take any money.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

    What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •