• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Sometimes I think it's hardley worth it. It's a lot of work towing, storing, and maintaining a boat of any kind.

In recent years I've started going on some boating trips. First a work group, then down to my brothers "house" boat (basically a no frills cabin that floats on water), and recently we rented a boat down in KY with the in-laws. I actually enjoy it now. Is there any place that rents boats that aren't pontoons/house boats though? My brother, sister, and one cousin all had "ski boats." Another cousin has a ski boat but it was much older and not as powerful (used as a fishing vessel). My uncle had a pontoon. I've only really seen boat rental places offer slower moving pontoon boats. From what I hear from my family members, having a boat is just costly. Both cousins, my uncle, and my brother all sold their boats. My brother still has his house boat and one cousin switched to a jet ski.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In recent years I've started going on some boating trips. First a work group, then down to my brothers "house" boat (basically a no frills cabin that floats on water), and recently we rented a boat down in KY with the in-laws. I actually enjoy it now. Is there any place that rents boats that aren't pontoons/house boats though? My brother, sister, and one cousin all had "ski boats." Another cousin has a ski boat but it was much older and not as powerful (used as a fishing vessel). My uncle had a pontoon. I've only really seen boat rental places offer slower moving pontoon boats. From what I hear from my family members, having a boat is just costly. Both cousins, my uncle, and my brother all sold their boats. My brother still has his house boat and one cousin switched to a jet ski.
    Not sure how close you are, but you can rent ski boats down at Lake Monroe (near Bloomington) at Fourwinds Resort/Marina.

https://rentals.fourwindsrental.com/booking/

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Not sure how close you are, but you can rent ski boats down at Lake Monroe (near Bloomington) at Fourwinds Resort/Marina.

https://rentals.fourwindsrental.com/booking/

Thanks for that link. We actually rented at Cutright SRA down at Monroe. All they have that I can tell are the slower moving pontoon boats (which we did need a large double decked for those trips). That link above looks great. I definitely like the 115HP pontoon party barge. That should be enough horse power if one wants to pull tubes and rafts?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

The two greatest days in a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day it gets sold.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Deputy Thompson just stopped by. Verified that yes indeed, there is no Hull ID #, and that is really is an old boat. Hopefully that is the hardest thing he has to do this shift.

Back to the BMV tomorrow. Guessing there is yet another form to complete to get a Hull ID, THEN I can title it, then register it, and start collecting stickers.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    After several hours at BMV, bunch of cash, trip to marina, and three e-mails and phone calls to DNR all my stickers are in place. Too bad there isn't any water in the river. You can walk across.

Flip back over to shooting until we get some rain? Maybe head south to some lake?????? O well

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ****.....my ex wife used to knit. Yarn worth knitting with is NOT $5.....Blew my mind.

The fees on the boats is based on their sale price when new so yours shouldn't be too bad of a hit.

You haven't priced yarn lately, have you? Trust me...knitting is not an inexpensive hobby. Better think of something else like gardening...oh wait...that isn't cheap either. If you find a cheap hobby let me know because I might consider one if I could find it! :laugh:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Man, do yourself a favor.....sell it and buy a kayak or solo canoe for every member of the family. No yearly tax, registration, etc... just fun floating down the river, and every bit as fun as anything in a powerboat. And no maintenance. Only type of boat I’ll own.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana Boating Laws! From the people who gave us Indiana Gun Laws and Indiana Liquor Laws!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Man, do yourself a favor.....sell it and buy a kayak or solo canoe for every member of the family. No yearly tax, registration, etc... just fun floating down the river, and every bit as fun as anything in a powerboat. And no maintenance. Only type of boat I’ll own.
    We also have a canoe. My wife isn't much of a paddler.

This is really a sentimental thing for her. It is her dad's boat, that she spent many a day on as a child. We want's to share that with our kiddo.

Edit: Off to the BMV when they open this morning. In an effort to win favor with the gods of Bureaucracy, I sacrificed a chicken this morning (in the form of a scrambled egg).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The BMV sure is a popular place on a Tuesday morning (they are closed Monday).

Looks like I do indeed need MORE paperwork. Have to apply for a Hull ID #, which costs $10.50, and will take at least a few days. THEN I can go back to the BMV to register it.

Fun fact of the day: they started issuing Hull ID#'s in November 1972, according to the BMV.

Filled out the Hull ID Request form, which has all the same info on it as the Bill of Sale and the LEO Inspection forms (seriously, it is all there). Stuck it in an envelope with a check. Now back to waiting....

For those keeping track:
    - 2 trips to the BMV, with at least one more required
    - LEO inspection (he had to come by the house)
    - 3 forms so far, and at least one more to go

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not much paddling if you're just floating downstream ;)

If she wants it done.....have her take care of it :abused:

Yeah, BMV is not a good place to be on Tuesdays. I've heard that directly from people that work there. Don't go on Tuesday.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I'm going to add a thumbs up to the kayak/canoe usage. We went and visited my sister in May, she lives near a lake in Oklahoma and had scrounged a couple of extra kayaks so we went up one of the creeks feeding the lake. Good fun! Never kayaked before but if we had a place closer by I might consider buying a couple.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do you live in a desert? There's rivers and creeks all over IN. Lots of good kayaking/canoeing around here.

I'm going to add a thumbs up to the kayak/canoe usage. We went and visited my sister in May, she lives near a lake in Oklahoma and had scrounged a couple of extra kayaks so we went up one of the creeks feeding the lake. Good fun! Never kayaked before but if we had a place closer by I might consider buying a couple.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Do you live in a desert? There's rivers and creeks all over IN. Lots of good kayaking/canoeing around here.

I'm 1/4 mile from the white river as the crow flies but in my limited time in Indiana I've come to learn that most of the waterways here are nothing more than overflows for whatever municipal sewer system happens to be in the neighborhood. And having witnessed the scum line on my boat after a weekend at the lake it doesn't appear that they are much better. I guess I'm a water snob.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Got three boats and the BMV know it.Got 4 vehicles and they know that too.The letters come in June like clockwork.The wife writes them a big fat check.They leave me alone thill next June.Your boat was free,and your wife will be happy.It is probably built better then a new one.Now start looking at a new 9.9 hp outboard,and take her to Basspro and look at some of the cool stuff that will improve it for you both.Maybe a couple seats that will save your back and a couple good comfortable life jackets.Once you are on the water.......it will have been worth it.She will be happy.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah.....that’s a gross one. Have to find some better small creeks that mainly go through woods with little to no drainage running into them.

I'm 1/4 mile from the white river as the crow flies but in my limited time in Indiana I've come to learn that most of the waterways here are nothing more than overflows for whatever municipal sewer system happens to be in the neighborhood. And having witnessed the scum line on my boat after a weekend at the lake it doesn't appear that they are much better. I guess I'm a water snob.

Top Bottom