• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    What’s your favorite state park for hiking and camping in Indiana?
    I’ve hiked Turkey Run and really like it. I want to hike shades which I assume is about the same but haven’t had a chance yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Turkey Run has some pretty unique trails, and hard to find something like it at most of the state parks I have camped in. I just finished camping in Shades again, and some of the trails there are pretty nice also, and somewhat similar to Turkey Run.

A couple other state parks I camp at a lot is McCormick's Creek and Spring Mill State park. McCormick's Creek has some pretty interesting trails, while Spring Mill has a great Cave to explore, and the old village and mill is pretty interesting.

I also like their campgrounds, though I only primitive camp.

Ron

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a Hoosier who lives on the river I have to say the best state parks are...In Kentucky......When I was a kid, and we camped A LOT (a little Ritzcraft and a Scotty were our trailers) we always went to Kentucky...In Indiana we would go to Spring Mill but Kentucky has the better parks by far....

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    We like Whitewater SP to camp. Nice trails and a lot of amenities. I want to camp at Clifty Falls, also. The few trails that I experienced there were interesting.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If you want to get away from the crowds of Brown County but still experience the beauty consider Yellowwood State Forest. I went there three weeks ago and spent two days backpacking the Tecumseh Trail. Started at Hwy 46 trailhead and hiked along the trail on the west side of the lake to the northeast side of Yellowwood Lake to overnight. Then hiked back the next day where my wife picked me up. In two days and 14 miles I saw 1 person as we passed each other in the opposite direction.

If you are car camping instead of backpacking there are some options although services are limited. I camped at the Youth and Group camp on the northeast side of the lake. Pit toilets, half dozen picnic tables, huge grassy field, filtered water from the lake. There are some campsites on the southeast corner of the lake that may have a little more. Beautiful setting and I can only imagine how stunning when the leaves change color.

In addition to the Tecumseh Trail I saw three or four day hike trails that spurred off the side.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Depends on what you want, but Clifty Falls remains one of my favorites for hiking. Especially Trail 2 when the water level isn't too high.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Clifty falls, McCormick's Creek, Brown County State Park, Spring Mill, Turkey Run.

Please stay away from Shades. That's "my" park and I don't want none of y'all there ruining it. :-)

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    May be closer to you. Portland Arch just outside of Fountain, Indiana. There are actually two parts, north and south. North has steeper sections and you walk under the arch along the creek.

Also look at Niches.org, they have parks all over west central Indiana.

Tim.

Top Bottom