Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
    And thatís what is really the shame of it all that you feel you need to subject yourself to the intimidation tactics of a CO rather than press the issue within your rights. I believe the odds are correct with your assumption any perceived resistance on your part could potentially result in greater oversight by the CO.
    Agree with all the above. I figure heíd be more likely to assert his ďrightsĒ to check paperwork in my stand an hour into opening morning. Unfortunate and probably easier to take this path.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post
    Thanks I doubt anyone knew what I was trying to convey with that terrible grammatical error. Thanks for youíre service

In this instance, the proper word is your.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post
    Thanks I doubt anyone knew what I was trying to convey with that terrible grammatical error. Thanks for youíre service
    Hey, somebody has to keep us in line..

If it makes you feel better, I correct my own mistakes too.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mattroth54 View Post
    I had an interesting visit yesterday morning from an Indiana Conservation Officer. He was very polite and professional throughout his visit, but the whole thing had some lines of questioning that surprised me. He correctly stated I had tagged a couple turkey and deer from 2018 on a landowner tag. He then correctly stated when he ran the Morgan county landowner report, no property came back with my name. I let him know I lease the ag rights to the same Morgan County property which I hunt, qualifying me to tag animals under one of the qualifications of landowner exempt. I really thought this should have been the end of the conversation, but he insisted on documentation of such a lease/leasee arrangement. Iím certain in many cases, as Iíve been part of them on both ends involving other situations, that many of these agreements are simple handshake agreements. As it happens, this one was a bit more formal and after digging around, I found a copy of the most current, which became effective mid November Ď18. I showed him this paperwork and he questioned the validity of my illegible signature. Wanting to make his job easy as possible, I demonstrate my signature in front of him, to his satisfaction. Then he noticed the date on the document didnít include earlier in the seaon, when I tagged my spring turkey. I couldnít quickly locate that document. I told him Iíd check with the landowner to see if they were better record keepers and he left, asking me to email him the previous lease agreement. As it turned out, the landowner did have the document, which I sent over. He responded that all was good now.

I was fairly put off by the line of questioning, as the Indiana Code on the matter makes no mention of any requirements of lease documentation. Although Iím fairly certain the law requires no documentation much less a clear signature, I still feel like these guys have enough trouble without me making his life more difficult. Fortunately I had the paperwork that satisfied his needs and didnít have to fight this in the courts.

Apparently the state is looking very close at hunters that tag animals as landowner exempt. If youíre the listed owner on the tax records, youíre probably good to go. If youíre tagging under several other scenarios that also qualify for landowner exempt status, make sure you have your ducks in a row!
    1. Glad you were able to put the situation to rest.
    2. What you describe above includes some serious dick moves on the part of the CO.
    3. Who doesn't like you that 1) knows what you harvested and then, 2) "raccoon cop SWATted" you?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    No, I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said "all" female hunters. If your feathers got ruffled then tuck you bottom lip back in, I'm sorry. No where did I say females can't hunt or are not capable ethical take of game. If you dug that deep into my comment then throw away
    the shovel.
    When you used to check deer at a check station, one of the local CO's, a good friend of mine, would go to the check station and look over the log book. He'd cross reference addresses of females who tagged a buck, usually wives, of males who tagged a buck under the same address. He'd then make house calls and question the wife. He wrote a lot of tickets for double bucking husbands. One lady didn't know the brand of her bow, what broadheads she used, and when asked to pull the bow back she presented she couldn't. A good friend of mine whose wife is an avid hunter got the house visit. She rattled off her bow brand, explained how she switched to mechanical heads and pulled her bow. Proved the CO she was a hunter. My buddy was not offended he was proud. Still brings it up and talks about it. I know of several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch.
    If you think this crap doesn't happen, then you are oblivious to the greed of hunters. Now with online checking, I'd say it happens even more. With computer checking I think it would be easier to investigate. A lot easier then going and doing hand writing
    analysis and signature comparison like what was described in the OP.

It happens with turkey too. Not all, but some wives have bagged a tom and never shouldered a gun.

Again, I shouldn't have stated ALL female hunters. To clarify and lay it all out. Check wives/girlfriends living under same address as husbands/boyfriends that tagged a buck.
    Seems to me, some people shouldn't have opened their doors.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I rent my farm on a handshake agreement. I have done so for the 25 years I have owned it. I see the C.O.s truck going by often, but have never met him. We hunt each year, deer and turkey. Guess I'll make sure our renter has some paperwork to CYA. Had never thought of this as a problem.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    1. Glad you were able to put the situation to rest.
    2. What you describe above includes some serious dick moves on the part of the CO.
    3. Who doesn't like you that 1) knows what you harvested and then, 2) "raccoon cop SWATted" you?

Whatís not to like about me? Well...seriously, he was pretty candid that they just ran a report of hunters that online checked critters vs tax assessment names in county checked. Since I just lease ag rights on this farm, my name made the cut for a visit.

User Info Menu

A question that comes to mind concerns fair chase, wanton waste, and duty to recover. What if you arrow or shoot a deer or turkey on your land ( or leased property ) but donít drop it immediately and it escapes onto your neighbors ground. If you track the wounded animal onto property not owned by you and finish it off (assuming you have permission from the adjacent landowner) are you now required to have a valid hunting license ?

If you donít follow up on a wounded animal could you be ticketed for failing to attempt to recover ( or some other infraction ?). If you do follow up can the CO get you for not having a license. Possibly a Catch 22 scenario ?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

No more name calling folks.
    People are starting to watch.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
    A question that comes to mind concerns fair chase, wanton waste, and duty to recover. What if you arrow or shoot a deer or turkey on your land ( or leased property ) but donít drop it immediately and it escapes onto your neighbors ground. If you track the wounded animal onto property not owned by you and finish it off (assuming you have permission from the adjacent landowner) are you now required to have a valid hunting license ?

If you donít follow up on a wounded animal could you be ticketed for failing to attempt to recover ( or some other infraction ?). If you do follow up can the CO get you for not having a license. Possibly a Catch 22 scenario ?

This has been considered. If any issue would ever compel me to buy a license to hunt this property, you nailed it. If nothing else, it makes one of many compelling arguments for clean, fast kills.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast