• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Fishing in WI on the WI River, DNR stops by and runs a compliance checklist for boating safety till they get a hit...get a ticket (didn't have a lid over the battery box...not required when bought). Scuba diving in Devils Lake in WI, DNR stops by, dive flag on other side of boat...get a ticket (law says within 50'...only about 12' away). If they're coming to give you a ticket they won't leave until you have one. :twocents:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ..... Lots of innuendo on their side with a presumption of guilt without basis in fact. .......

This **** right here is what bugs me. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Years ago a buddy was on his own land and a CO went back to his woods and claimed the buddy was baiting deer because he had pumpkins
    (I think, it could have been apples by his apple trees in the same area, it's been years ago I can't remember exactly) that he had placed there to bait deer, they were rotten and also where he spreads out his grass clippings from the yard.
    In my lifetime of knowing this guy any hunting with him he NEVER did anything remotely like that.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I spent a little time yesterday thinking about landowner exemptions and no I’m not ok with the state’s decision to allow the landed gentry the privlages that the rest of us pay for and will be raising this point at the public input meetings this year.

To further clarify my point on depriving the DNR of valuable resources the website states that
    [FONT=&quot]The DFW also receives money through the Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Programs administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Indiana collects about $10 for each fishing license purchase and $50 for each hunting license purchase. Indiana acquired $18.1 million in federal apportionment in 2018. This money is used to manage fish and wildlife resources in Indiana. Even if you don’t hunt or fish, purchasing a combination license ($25 a year for residents) will net an additional $60 in federal funds for Indiana to use on fish and wildlife conservation.[/FONT]

This means that the 333k I stated was lost to landowner exemptions in 2017 is way too low. I forgot to take into account the federal money that the state collects for each license sold.

So yes if you care about the future of the resources then buy a license.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I spent a little time yesterday thinking about landowner exemptions and no I’m not ok with the state’s decision to allow the landed gentry the privlages that the rest of us pay for...

Landed gentry?

ef8.jpg

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I spent a little time yesterday thinking about landowner exemptions and no I’m not ok with the state’s decision to allow the landed gentry the privlages that the rest of us pay for and will be raising this point at the public input meetings this year.

To further clarify my point on depriving the DNR of valuable resources the website states that

This means that the 333k I stated was lost to landowner exemptions in 2017 is way too low. I forgot to take into account the federal money that the state collects for each license sold.

So yes if you care about the future of the resources then buy a license.

As a “landed gentry”, how will you be submitting for me to have access to these funds? I promise I spend far beyond $50 and a hunting license to improve the habitat and manage the wildlife resources. The wildlife that benefits from my work travel far beyond my farm. Count that and the additional incurred property taxes. You’re getting a deal with just a hunting license.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As a “landed gentry”, how will you be submitting for me to have access to these funds? I promise I spend far beyond $50 and a hunting license to improve the habitat and manage the wildlife resources. The wildlife that benefits from my work travel far beyond my farm. Count that and the additional incurred property taxes. You’re getting a deal with just a hunting license.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2352.htm

There is the link to how you get your share of those funds. The programs are available to fund habitat improvements on private land.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    No, I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said "all" female hunters. If your feathers got ruffled then tuck you bottom lip back in, I'm sorry. No where did I say females can't hunt or are not capable ethical take of game. If you dug that deep into my comment then throw away
    the shovel.
    When you used to check deer at a check station, one of the local CO's, a good friend of mine, would go to the check station and look over the log book. He'd cross reference addresses of females who tagged a buck, usually wives, of males who tagged a buck under the same address. He'd then make house calls and question the wife. He wrote a lot of tickets for double bucking husbands. One lady didn't know the brand of her bow, what broadheads she used, and when asked to pull the bow back she presented she couldn't. A good friend of mine whose wife is an avid hunter got the house visit. She rattled off her bow brand, explained how she switched to mechanical heads and pulled her bow. Proved the CO she was a hunter. My buddy was not offended he was proud. Still brings it up and talks about it. I know of several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch.
    If you think this crap doesn't happen, then you are oblivious to the greed of hunters. Now with online checking, I'd say it happens even more. With computer checking I think it would be easier to investigate. A lot easier then going and doing hand writing
    analysis and signature comparison like what was described in the OP.

It happens with turkey too. Not all, but some wives have bagged a tom and never shouldered a gun.

Again, I shouldn't have stated ALL female hunters. To clarify and lay it all out. Check wives/girlfriends living under same address as husbands/boyfriends that tagged a buck.

Thank you for clarifying that what you said is what you meant and solidifying what I and a previous poster thought you are ......

No you didn't say that ALL women can't hunt and that is not howI read it!

Please reread my first post. In the first sentence I stated that I know it happens! I never denied that it didn't happen!

What I am saying is harassing someone because of their gender trying to get additional money and citations is wrong and actually illegal!

This is the same reason the TSA CANNOT single out one specific race/religion while doing their screenings because it causes undo hassle on one specific section of society for the bad deeds of a few individuals.

I think everyone here can agree that the method you are suggesting is just flat out wrong.

Lets place the shoe on the other foot shall we?

You are on INGO.....a semi-public forum thus it can be assumed you own a firearm of some sort. Should the police be able to come to your house and question you about your firearms, ask for "proof" you own them, and that they are legal because you are a member of this site?

This is the last I am going to comment on this matter because I have seen far to many of these chat pages pulled off topic, get ugly, then require CM to drop the hammer, and to be honest I have much better things to do with my time than try and get you to realize the errors of your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2352.htm

There is the link to how you get your share of those funds. The programs are available to fund habitat improvements on private land.

Interesting. I’m familiar with some and need to read up on others. I know the classified forest program provided no benefit to my farm. The first program trades funding for some form of public access. No thanks. The Game Bird Partnership Program seems interesting and appears to be sponsored by NWTF, which I do voluntary fund. Thanks for the link.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    This is exactly what I was thinking while the situation unfolded. I made the judgement that I would have prevailed with that exchange, but would have also set the stage for years of an adversarial relationship at this property with ICO for years to come. I personally felt in this situation the give on my part made sense long term.

And that’s what is really the shame of it all that you feel you need to subject yourself to the intimidation tactics of a CO rather than press the issue within your rights. I believe the odds are correct with your assumption any perceived resistance on your part could potentially result in greater oversight by the CO.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    And that’s what is really the shame of it all that you feel you need to subject yourself to the intimidation tactics of a CO rather than press the issue within your rights. I believe the odds are correct with your assumption any perceived resistance on your part could potentially result in greater oversight by the CO.

Agree with all the above. I figure he’d be more likely to assert his “rights” to check paperwork in my stand an hour into opening morning. Unfortunate and probably easier to take this path.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had an interesting visit yesterday morning from an Indiana Conservation Officer. He was very polite and professional throughout his visit, but the whole thing had some lines of questioning that surprised me. He correctly stated I had tagged a couple turkey and deer from 2018 on a landowner tag. He then correctly stated when he ran the Morgan county landowner report, no property came back with my name. I let him know I lease the ag rights to the same Morgan County property which I hunt, qualifying me to tag animals under one of the qualifications of landowner exempt. I really thought this should have been the end of the conversation, but he insisted on documentation of such a lease/leasee arrangement. I’m certain in many cases, as I’ve been part of them on both ends involving other situations, that many of these agreements are simple handshake agreements. As it happens, this one was a bit more formal and after digging around, I found a copy of the most current, which became effective mid November ‘18. I showed him this paperwork and he questioned the validity of my illegible signature. Wanting to make his job easy as possible, I demonstrate my signature in front of him, to his satisfaction. Then he noticed the date on the document didn’t include earlier in the seaon, when I tagged my spring turkey. I couldn’t quickly locate that document. I told him I’d check with the landowner to see if they were better record keepers and he left, asking me to email him the previous lease agreement. As it turned out, the landowner did have the document, which I sent over. He responded that all was good now.

I was fairly put off by the line of questioning, as the Indiana Code on the matter makes no mention of any requirements of lease documentation. Although I’m fairly certain the law requires no documentation much less a clear signature, I still feel like these guys have enough trouble without me making his life more difficult. Fortunately I had the paperwork that satisfied his needs and didn’t have to fight this in the courts.

Apparently the state is looking very close at hunters that tag animals as landowner exempt. If you’re the listed owner on the tax records, you’re probably good to go. If you’re tagging under several other scenarios that also qualify for landowner exempt status, make sure you have your ducks in a row!

1. Glad you were able to put the situation to rest.
    2. What you describe above includes some serious dick moves on the part of the CO.
    3. Who doesn't like you that 1) knows what you harvested and then, 2) "raccoon cop SWATted" you?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No, I'm not kidding.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said "all" female hunters. If your feathers got ruffled then tuck you bottom lip back in, I'm sorry. No where did I say females can't hunt or are not capable ethical take of game. If you dug that deep into my comment then throw away
    the shovel.
    When you used to check deer at a check station, one of the local CO's, a good friend of mine, would go to the check station and look over the log book. He'd cross reference addresses of females who tagged a buck, usually wives, of males who tagged a buck under the same address. He'd then make house calls and question the wife. He wrote a lot of tickets for double bucking husbands. One lady didn't know the brand of her bow, what broadheads she used, and when asked to pull the bow back she presented she couldn't. A good friend of mine whose wife is an avid hunter got the house visit. She rattled off her bow brand, explained how she switched to mechanical heads and pulled her bow. Proved the CO she was a hunter. My buddy was not offended he was proud. Still brings it up and talks about it. I know of several women that have checked a buck and have never shot a gun or bow. I know for a fact that it happens a bunch.
    If you think this crap doesn't happen, then you are oblivious to the greed of hunters. Now with online checking, I'd say it happens even more. With computer checking I think it would be easier to investigate. A lot easier then going and doing hand writing
    analysis and signature comparison like what was described in the OP.

It happens with turkey too. Not all, but some wives have bagged a tom and never shouldered a gun.

Again, I shouldn't have stated ALL female hunters. To clarify and lay it all out. Check wives/girlfriends living under same address as husbands/boyfriends that tagged a buck.

Seems to me, some people shouldn't have opened their doors.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I rent my farm on a handshake agreement. I have done so for the 25 years I have owned it. I see the C.O.s truck going by often, but have never met him. We hunt each year, deer and turkey. Guess I'll make sure our renter has some paperwork to CYA. Had never thought of this as a problem.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    1. Glad you were able to put the situation to rest.
    2. What you describe above includes some serious dick moves on the part of the CO.
    3. Who doesn't like you that 1) knows what you harvested and then, 2) "raccoon cop SWATted" you?

What’s not to like about me? Well...seriously, he was pretty candid that they just ran a report of hunters that online checked critters vs tax assessment names in county checked. Since I just lease ag rights on this farm, my name made the cut for a visit.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A question that comes to mind concerns fair chase, wanton waste, and duty to recover. What if you arrow or shoot a deer or turkey on your land ( or leased property ) but don’t drop it immediately and it escapes onto your neighbors ground. If you track the wounded animal onto property not owned by you and finish it off (assuming you have permission from the adjacent landowner) are you now required to have a valid hunting license ?

If you don’t follow up on a wounded animal could you be ticketed for failing to attempt to recover ( or some other infraction ?). If you do follow up can the CO get you for not having a license. Possibly a Catch 22 scenario ?

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    A question that comes to mind concerns fair chase, wanton waste, and duty to recover. What if you arrow or shoot a deer or turkey on your land ( or leased property ) but don’t drop it immediately and it escapes onto your neighbors ground. If you track the wounded animal onto property not owned by you and finish it off (assuming you have permission from the adjacent landowner) are you now required to have a valid hunting license ?

If you don’t follow up on a wounded animal could you be ticketed for failing to attempt to recover ( or some other infraction ?). If you do follow up can the CO get you for not having a license. Possibly a Catch 22 scenario ?

This has been considered. If any issue would ever compel me to buy a license to hunt this property, you nailed it. If nothing else, it makes one of many compelling arguments for clean, fast kills.

Top Bottom