Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Backlash, aka, the Birds Nest, is when you don't stop the spool on a bait casting reel when your lure hits the water, or a tree limb etc. they can get ugly.

On a spinning reel, you can run into similar problems that are caused by line twist. This can be prevented with a swivel attached to your line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Backlash, aka, the Birds Nest, is when you don't stop the spool on a bait casting reel when your lure hits the water, or a tree limb etc. they can get ugly.

On a spinning reel, you can run into similar problems that are caused by line twist. This can be prevented with a swivel attached to your line.
    Jeez, I just read a long ass article, and I learned more from your comment. Lol that makes sense though. I remember that was the cause of the end of my time fishing plenty if times.

User Info Menu

So far I am looking at
    6-7' rod
    8# line
    More bearings more better
    Zebco 33 will be looked at
    Hopefully the guys there will help with lures/bait.
    I don't plan on buying anything, but I e said that before...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Usmccookie View Post
    Jeez, I just read a long ass article, and I learned more from your comment. Lol that makes sense though. I remember that was the cause of the end of my time fishing plenty if times.
    Glad to help. I wouldn't think you would be in the market for a bait caster yet, so I wouldn't worry about birds nests.

User Info Menu

These are spin cast reels. This is the easiest kind of reel to use. This is really what you want to start out.

User Info Menu

These are spin cast reels. This is the easiest kind of reel to use. This is really what you want to start out.

I've never used one if these. I will probably have to practice before using.

Amy particular fit or feel things to think about? Size of grip, material?

User Info Menu

This is a spinning reel. A little trickier to use, but has some advantages over spin cast.

User Info Menu

These are bait casters, hardest to use, but gives you the most control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Usmccookie View Post
    I've never used one if these. I will probably have to practice before using.

Amy particular fit or feel things to think about? Size of grip, material?
    Not really until you figure out what you want to fish for. You will probably want to get a light medium rod, a reel that you like/feels good, with about 6-8 pound monofilament line. If you decide your going to fish for catfish or bass specifically later, you'll get something a little stouter. If you decide crappie or bluegill are you favorites, you'll lighten up a little on the rod and line weight. You just want middle of the road, can catch anything at this point.

User Info Menu

This is a spinning reel. A little trickier to use, but has some advantages over spin cast.

This is what I've always used...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast