• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Backlash, aka, the Birds Nest, is when you don't stop the spool on a bait casting reel when your lure hits the water, or a tree limb etc. they can get ugly.

On a spinning reel, you can run into similar problems that are caused by line twist. This can be prevented with a swivel attached to your line.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Backlash, aka, the Birds Nest, is when you don't stop the spool on a bait casting reel when your lure hits the water, or a tree limb etc. they can get ugly.

On a spinning reel, you can run into similar problems that are caused by line twist. This can be prevented with a swivel attached to your line.

Jeez, I just read a long ass article, and I learned more from your comment. Lol that makes sense though. I remember that was the cause of the end of my time fishing plenty if times.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So far I am looking at
    6-7' rod
    8# line
    More bearings more better
    Zebco 33 will be looked at
    Hopefully the guys there will help with lures/bait.
    I don't plan on buying anything, but I e said that before...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Jeez, I just read a long ass article, and I learned more from your comment. Lol that makes sense though. I remember that was the cause of the end of my time fishing plenty if times.
    Glad to help. I wouldn't think you would be in the market for a bait caster yet, so I wouldn't worry about birds nests.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    These are spin cast reels. This is the easiest kind of reel to use. This is really what you want to start out.

1BAAA9A0-DD94-45F4-8B64-05D9FF779D77_zpsnhcddezn.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    These are spin cast reels. This is the easiest kind of reel to use. This is really what you want to start out.

1BAAA9A0-DD94-45F4-8B64-05D9FF779D77_zpsnhcddezn.jpg

I've never used one if these. I will probably have to practice before using.

Amy particular fit or feel things to think about? Size of grip, material?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This is a spinning reel. A little trickier to use, but has some advantages over spin cast.

FAB707A9-5CD0-4E98-A5EF-05D319807163_zpsybm4bxwn.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've never used one if these. I will probably have to practice before using.

Amy particular fit or feel things to think about? Size of grip, material?
    Not really until you figure out what you want to fish for. You will probably want to get a light medium rod, a reel that you like/feels good, with about 6-8 pound monofilament line. If you decide your going to fish for catfish or bass specifically later, you'll get something a little stouter. If you decide crappie or bluegill are you favorites, you'll lighten up a little on the rod and line weight. You just want middle of the road, can catch anything at this point.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Not really until you figure out what you want to fish for. You will probably want to get a light medium rod, a reel that you like/feels good, with about 6-8 pound monofilament line. If you decide your going to fish for catfish or bass specifically later, you'll get something a little stouter. If you decide crappie or bluegill are you favorites, you'll lighten up a little on the rod and line weight. You just want middle of the road, can catch anything at this point.

I'm here now, I'm pretty excited. Feels like going in to buy my first gun..

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Good luck Marine. Let us know what you come out with.

I think for the money, I am going to get the zebco. But they have three models. I think I'll get the black. I completely overestimated my budget, so I am going to get a decent setup and save the rest toward my next rod.... I see some awesome.e ones, but I don't know enough to drop hundreds more when the zebco 33 is so highly recommended.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Advanced Jon boat. They probably sell these at cabelas, and you can get them to throw in a couple fishing rods with the deal.

FCEFBC63-17F1-4459-B268-96CB97B3FD3C_zpsaenpsvqn.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Nevermind I just started playing with the pflueger president reels... this just started adding up... and theses were "cheap" and on sale for $60

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I think for the money, I am going to get the zebco. But they have three models. I think I'll get the black. I completely overestimated my budget, so I am going to get a decent setup and save the rest toward my next rod.... I see some awesome.e ones, but I don't know enough to drop hundreds more when the zebco 33 is so highly recommended.

If you are comfortable with a spinning reel, which is what you have used, get that. Get two, one for you, one for the wife.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'll see what rod will go with it and see where I'm at. But I'd definitely feel good about the zebco too.... I should've just bought a cz..

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Nevermind I just started playing with the pflueger president reels... this just started adding up... and theses were "cheap" and on sale for $60

As has been mentioned, fishing can get real expensive real quick. Try not to over think it, in the end a zebco will reel in a fish just like the more expensive stuff, especially when you are just getting started.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'll see what rod will go with it and see where I'm at. But I'd definitely feel good about the zebco too.... I should've just bought a cz..
    Wife decided we needed shade and a pontoon boat, and we traded in the Ranger for a new pontoon boat. I quit fishing, cold turkey. Started buying guns again and joined INGO. The pontoon is a 2012, and so is my INGO join date.

I'd put at least $100 a week, in the gas tank of the Ranger. WOT was 26 GPH. It held 52 gallons of fuel in two tanks. Top speed was 74 MPH, so, you could run 70 miles from the ramp, switch to the second tank, and still get back to the ramp.

Guns are cheaper, I'm telling you. You could buy a CZ every weekend for the price of fishing.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Wife decided we needed shade and a pontoon boat, and we traded in the Ranger for a new pontoon boat. I quit fishing, cold turkey. Started buying guns again and joined INGO. The pontoon is a 2012, and so is my INGO join date.

I'd put at least $100 a week, in the gas tank of the Ranger. WOT was 26 GPH. It held 52 gallons of fuel in two tanks. Top speed was 74 MPH, so, you could run 70 miles from the ramp, switch to the second tank, and still get back to the ramp.

Guns are cheaper, I'm telling you. You could buy a CZ every weekend for the price of fishing.

Well I just threw down 200 to get me started. I think il stay away from the bad boats for a while. I think the last time I was on a boat, I boarded via helo... shore fishing it is for me.

Top Bottom