• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    Lookin at getting another 22...ive got it down to the Sig Mosquito or the Ruger SR22...Im a fan of ruger but im keeping an open mind. Looking for input on if you've owned any issues...FTE, FTF, etc. They both feel great in my hand so that isnt an issue. Id get both if i had the money but broke college student doesnt give me much to work with. Thanks

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've seen more issues out of the SR22 than the P22 and they are virtually the same. I LOVE Sigs and bought one for a trainer pistol for new shooters and thought, "How can I go wrong with a Sig." Come to find out they are the most ammo picky thing out there. My particular Mosquito will only reliably shoot the most expensive 22 ammo (go figure) which kind of defeats its purpose for me. They seem to have the ammo picky reputation across the internet too. That being said, I picked up the new S&W MP and it's a champ. NO issues what so ever and runs about everything you put in it.

JenTheGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Castleton, IN
    That'll teach me to do more research. I recently bought a Mosquito, but haven't gotten it to the range yet. If I get out this weekend, I'll let you know how it does.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Out of those two options I would chose neither.

I would buy a Walther P22 or a Ruger Mk III or 22/45.

If I had to pick either the Sig Mosquito or the Ruger SR22, I would pick the SR22.

I owned a Mosquito once. It would only somewhat reliably shoot the more expensive CCI Mini-Mags (so much for saving money). Any bulk pack .22LR wasn't even worth trying.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have no experience with the Ruger, but I owned a Mosquito for a while. I really like the way it fits the hand, I love all the features, it is a really good-looking gun...

...mine was really picky about what it would eat. With bulk ammo I would get a failure to feed about every third round. With CCI mini-mags I would get a failure to feed about every 10-15 rounds.

It shot great when it fed well. I later traded it toward a M&P15-22 and never regretted it.

-Paul

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I have both--the SR-22 shoots just about any ammo I put through it and the Sig Mosquito has trouble feeding anything I try putting through it. I ended up giving the Mosquito away to my nephews. :twocents:

wilianknow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you already have a Mark 3, and you are looking for a fun shooter try a American Arms PK 22 it is built like a baby 1911. I have so much with it and it feel good in the hand.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 1920 rounds through my SR-22 and it has been the best .22 I have had. My Barrel did come loose at around 1800 rounds. Some red loctite and has been fine since. Love the feel of the Mosquito but very picky on ammo. The Walther P22 that I messed with was a piece. If it won't shoot cheap bulk ammo it goes bye bye. I have had a couple of Mark III's and I would have to say the the SR-22 has been as reliable as both of them. Maybe not quite as accurate but close enough for me. Jim

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I was looking at the P22, Mosquito, and SR22 and got the SR22 in late winter after reading so many threads on INGO about P22 and Mosquito feeding issues, pickyness with ammo, general parts failures, etc. Lots of people will tell you to get what i call a 'target' gun (Ruger Mk III/IV, Buckmark, etc), but I specifically wanted something that had a manual of arms and look/feel closer to my defensive handguns.

Since then, I have put thousands of rounds down the pipe and only encountered 2 failures to feed which arguably could have been an ammo or 'break in period' issue. I use bulk ammo (federal, winchester, remington) about 90% of the time, but have put higher grade match ammo and high-velocity rounds through the gun with no problems either.

See my range report on the 19th post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/191964-got_the_ruger_sr22.html

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've not owned or shot either (disclaimer)

But I have seen some pictures being posted online lately about Mosquitoes with slides cracking all the way around close to the muzzle... P22s also, since they're very close, here are some examples:

walther-p-22-slide-crack.jpg

sig1.jpg

Mosquito_1_bss.jpg

WaltherP22brokenslide.jpg

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have the SR 22, normally it's been pretty good, but I had a bad outing with it last week. Had all kind of problems with failure to load out of both magazines. I did just open up a new box of Federal Bulk pack, so maybe I have a bad batch of under powered 22lr.

Before it would just do it occasionally. I will say that it is a lot of fun to shoot and has proven to be quite accurate. I don't expect a 22lr to be flawless since it isn't for self defense.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have SIG Mosquito and once it was broken in, it feed pretty much anything without problem (including subsonic Remingtons). I normally use CCI Mini Mags anyway, because they will pretty much cycle any gun (I have a lot of .22s and some are very picky, like my Puma 1911-22 and my Beretta 21a).

I would caution against carrying a .22 for self defense, but not because it is a weaker round. With Stingers or other high velocity rounds, a .22 will defnitely make someone take notice (quite a few people have been killed with .22s over the years).

However, it's the inherent unreliability of the rimmed .22 round that is the issue. Even in the best gun with the best ammo, it's going to jam on you at some point. I would recommend moving up in caliber, even it if it is only to .25 auto (please note that .25 auto is actually very similar in power to a .22 high velocity round), in a good quality pistol.

Or better yet, move to a revolver with low recoil rounds. If you don't have worry about cycling an action, you can load down your ammunition more less as much as you want.

ShyKat.22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Vincennes, Indiana
    I hate to admit this but i have a huge problem with anything that has a lot of recoil. Insanely bad muscle and joint issues (already had two rotator cuff replacements and im only 28) so anything will some punch kills my shoulder after firing a couple times. I have the P238 and rarely shoot that anymore. Id rather have something than nothing to carry and be confident in especially since we live next to a bar and we're up to two break ins when ive been there alone.

LuCKy2212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carthage, IN
    I bought my wife the Sig and she loves it. I have taken it out a few times and it is picky with its ammo but still cheaper than shooting any of my handguns.

Top Bottom