• Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I received this from Davidson's today:

To All Smith & Wesson Customers:
    Smith & Wesson is in the process of announcing a Safety Alert relating to the lower trigger on M&P Shield pistols. We should be in a position to provide you with more details as to the scope of the affected pistols in a few days. In the meantime, please stop all sales and shipments of M&P Shield pistols pending further notice. We appreciate your assistance in ensuring that the products we provide to customers meet our high standards for quality and safety.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Whatever the problem might be, I am sure they will address the issue. Would be nice if the fix resulted in a smooth light trigger pull.

Edit: Ours did check out ok. Thanks for posting... Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've seen this making the rounds on the internet, but have yet to hear anything about it from our S&W rep or any of our distributors (Davidsons among them), and there is NOTHING on S&W's website. I find the wording "S&W is in the process of announcing a safety alert" suspicious. Why not just DO IT? If real, you'd think S&W would be more out in front of it (as they have been for their other safety bulletins/recall notices), rather than letting third parties on Facebook spread the word.

Color me skeptical.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I've seen this making the rounds on the internet, but have yet to hear anything about it from our S&W rep or any of our distributors (Davidsons among them), and there is NOTHING on S&W's website. I find the wording "S&W is in the process of announcing a safety alert" suspicious. Why not just DO IT? If real, you'd think S&W would be more out in front of it (as they have been for their other safety bulletins/recall notices), rather than letting third parties on Facebook spread the word.

Color me skeptical.

Exactly my thought. If they knew there was a problem and did this kind of "soft" recall they would be opening themselves up to huge liabilities. They would be screaming recall from every outlet possible. I call BS on this.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Revised. Apparently you posted as I was typing.

Davidson's is a standup organization and while their distributor prices are higher than others that I deal with, they are a "NO BS" company.

I haven't heard from any of my other distributors yet.

What does that tell ya. ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just checked mine.

The tab returns A-OK upon pulling the trigger.

Something for me to be aware of going further, of course.

-J-

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There we go. Looks like it was just posted today. Thanks for the find! :yesway:

Your co-workers like you much? LOL I was in Bradis last night and the other two guys behind the counter both mentioned it to me. You were there too. :laugh:

Don't worry, we all still like you. :ingo:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Fortunately, the inspection process is quick and can be done by the owner without disassembling the pistol. The notice implies the problem won't develop over time in pistols that pass inspection. Doesn't seem too bad, depending upon the total number of pistols that ultimately require repair.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    My First Fire date is 7/8/13. The tab will only return if I push the trigger forward. It will be taking a trip back to MA for repair. Ugh.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    With respect to this Alert, is the wording important that they say M&P Shield pistols are affected? Are all M&Ps the Shield model? I had thought that Shield implied something more unique than the standard M&P line, but perhaps I was mistaken all along.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Your co-workers like you much? LOL I was in Bradis last night and the other two guys behind the counter both mentioned it to me. You were there too.

As I said previously, it had been making the rounds on the internet (and thus we were talking about it at the shop), but S&W only posted something "official" today. And my co-workers like me just fine. To my face. ;)

they say M&P Shield pistols are affected? Are all M&Ps the Shield model?

All Shields are M&Ps, but not all M&Ps are Shields. The Shield is the single-stack subcompact.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    All Shields are M&Ps, but not all M&Ps are Shields. The Shield is the single-stack subcompact.

OK, that's what I thought. So it sounds like only the single-stack subcompacts are affected by this Alert. Just wanted to be clear about that for others who were reading and not catching that detail about the Smith & Wesson release.

Top Bottom