• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Well as the title says "Uberti Itch". All I can say is, that it is contagious. I caught it a couple of weeks ago after purchasing an H&R Handi Rifle chambered in 45 colt :yesway:. Who woulda thunk?
    After I shot the rifle a few times I started looking on utube for info on the rifle and one thing led to another until I was watching vids on Uberti revolvers. This is when the itch started getting real bad, I know I am gonna have to scratch it sometime because it is all I can think about at this time.
    Since I reload, I will reload for the rifle and well......that new Uberti revolver when I scratch that itch. In looking at them on the www there are many flavors, and I don't quite know which one will satisfy this itch, maybe 2 of them will????:dunno:
    I am partial to the blued steel but I have to admit I really like the bling of the polished stainless revolvers. And with names like El Patron, Desperado, Cattleman, Cattleman Birdshead, and Cattleman Frisco. It's all causing more insanity and I am wondering if this itch is going to get relief from just one revolver. I have never had anything like this before where I had to have 2 or more of something to be satisfied........well there is one other but that's another story.
    So, if there are any revolver aficionados out there who can offer up some medicinal advice on this itch I would like to hear it. I know this site is full of the "tacticool" guys with glocks n such but there has to be some revolver guys in the house also. After all a fine revolver could very well be compared to a fine cigar.

M

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I *completely* understand the revolver itch, I really do! There's something about the clickity-clack sounds they make, the way the cylinders swing out and spin like they're on ball bearings, and dang if I wasn't recently hitting a 10" steel plate standing freehand, and in double action, from around 45 yards not too long ago. Probably nothing for many members on this site, but still being fairly new to shooting, it was a pretty big deal for me.

Anyway, my younger brother has the El Patron Competition. It's perhaps one of the slickest guns to cock one-handed I've ever seen. His has the case-hardened finish, and with the checkered wood grips, it is really, really nice to look at. A couple of things I noticed is that it's not as much fun to shoot .357 as a Smith 66, or a Ruger GP100... doesn't seem to matter how you grip it, it really wants to flip up. Also, because it's a replica, there is no transfer bar (the spur is on the hammer), so always use snap caps when you're dry firing. But just a hoot with 38 Special loads, and a really beautiful piece of work IMO.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I fell in love with them at the NRA show. The guy repping them there stopped his conversation with a Cowboy Shooter guy and talked to me about the Winchester lever action replicas he had on display. I was determined at that point that a Uberti would be my .45LC purchase. I"m going to buy one soon...just haven't pulled the trigger. Wish more local shops carried .45 LC revolvers. The Columbus Pawn Shop has been carrying Cimarron .45LC stuff for a year or 2 now...but I won't buy one from them as they ticked me off at the show(didn't peel away from their convo with the guy leaning against the case hiding all their guns they had on display even though I was trying to look around him. They are probably the same gun, but I won't buy one with the Cimarron name on it).

regardless...good luck and keep us informed!

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    You bring up another item to consider, transfer bar vs no transfer bar. Uberti makes both from what I have found or I could go the Ruger Vaquero route with transfer bar. Muzzle flip = MagnaPort. Now then she would be easy to hang onto. Magnaport on a cowboy gun, now were steppin into the 21st century for sure!
    I read a little about the El Patron Competition and wondered if the extra price would be worth it. One could go for the cheaper and buy the parts and install himself but then I question if it would be as good as the factory.
    Beautiful gun indeed, now if only I could make up my mind which one to get.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hahh! Ok, you bring up the Vaquero. My younger brother has that one as well (stainless Bisley model), and it is a complete BEAST with how well it handles the .357 punch. Shooting between the two, I definitely prefer the Vaquero to the Uberti. The Uberti is beautiful, but the Vaquero is a stainless-steel single-action tank. And it's a looker in its own right too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I fell in love with them at the NRA show. The guy repping them there stopped his conversation with a Cowboy Shooter guy and talked to me about the Winchester lever action replicas he had on display. I was determined at that point that a Uberti would be my .45LC purchase. I"m going to buy one soon...just haven't pulled the trigger. Wish more local shops carried .45 LC revolvers. The Columbus Pawn Shop has been carrying Cimarron .45LC stuff for a year or 2 now...but I won't buy one from them as they ticked me off at the show(didn't peel away from their convo with the guy leaning against the case hiding all their guns they had on display even though I was trying to look around him. They are probably the same gun, but I won't buy one with the Cimarron name on it).

regardless...good luck and keep us informed!

If you find your way up to Greenwood, stop by The Outdoorsman on 135. They usually have a dozen or more Uberti revolvers in both black powder and .45 LC. The other day, I was fondling an 1858 Bisley with a 12" barrel that might just follow me home one of these days.

Last edited:

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    I will keep that in mind if I am ever over that way. I went to Chattanooga Monday and stopped at a couple of shops on the way and none of them had any Uberti's.
    I would like check one out in the raw so I may have to make that trip and put and end to this.
    Now I am not looking for a revolver club in 12", a 4.75 or 5 would be more speed.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a uberti as well as a pietta. They are ok. Ruger single actions are a far superior product, of course like all things in life, the better ones cost more.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I shoot Cowboy Action and use the Uberti Cattleman. I have a couple of sets of pistols but the ones I keep using are the Uberti Cattleman with birds head grips. They seem to be much more comfortable and feel better and they have a little more style. I would recommend you try it as most people really like them but they seem to be harder to find. If you get one, I changed out the springs with Wolff springs and it makes the action super smooth. Good luck you can't go wrong with any of them, but I don't think the itch will be satisfied by just one!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm partial to the Ruger Blackhawks, if you reload 45lc is one of the most versatile cartridges made in a Blackhawk.

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    rxer that's good info. I was wondering how those type of grips would feel. I just need to get out n about to a shop that has these guns in stock so I can handle a few.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I'm also a cowboy action shooter. I can tell you the Ruger Vaqueros are the most widely used guns in the sport. If you really want a good answer, come to a cowboy match. There you can fondle a bunch of different brands and models and ask a ton of questions. You will get the answer that best suits your needs. Where are you located? I will tell you where your local cowboy club is.

Archer1122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I too have the itch . Ever since I picked up a Rossi in 44mag. I like the older style sights but they are hard to find. I did fondle a Ruger Blackhawk at Gander MT. I did like it's weight and feel. But I think I can do better than their $700 price tag.

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Sellinoid44 from what I was able to find, just south of me in Cayuga they have cowboy matches. Great idea.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I ain't never been to the Cayuga range (Wabash Rangers) but I know that Circle R in Brookston puts on a good match. Only thing is thierdone for the year til spring. We had a match today at Paradise Pass..32 shooters. Plenty a guns to look at. They was a few from down your way there.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you go with any of the Italian or Spanish imports find a source for springs and buy some. The leaf springs used in them will break. They're easy to replace but it's rare to have one last if you use the gun. Ruger uses music wire coil springs that will go many more miles. With a Ruger you can put a Wolff kit in it and forget about springs for a long time. I wish Ruger would make repro black powder guns like the Itailans do - in case colored steel and brass.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    20140813_194717_zpsz8psxtub.jpg
    [/IMG]
    This is my Chaparral Arms (Italian) .45 Colt chambered 1866 Winchester replica and my Ruger New Vaquero .45 convertible revolver. The Ruger is a pleasure to shoot and handle. I keep it loaded with the .45 Colt cylinder around the farm for everyday carry and also when big game hunting as a backup gun. For shooting steel and punching paper the .45 ACP cylinder is awesome.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If you want a great deal on a custom engraved Uberti you should have a look at the one Plainfield shooting supplies has for sale. He has all the paper work. He is selling the gun for less than what it cost just to have it engraved.

Daniel170

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    La Porte
    Old thread but there is a shop near me that hosts a Cowboy Shooting club and he solely sells Uberti SA revolvers and doesn't recommend The "New" Vaqueros but if I could find an "Old" vaquero it would be worth investing in. Any thoughts on why?

Top Bottom