• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Finally picked her up from Bass N' Bucks in Wabash (Bass N' Bucks is not a Dan Wesson dealer they just ordered it for me). Upon receiving the pistol it comes in a very nice hard case with two Check-Mate magazines (one of them had a bent lip and was defective) a bushing wrench (needed later) and a bottle of lube for the absolutely immaculate pistol inside.
    jw0V7Koh.jpg

Street price for VBOB's (Valor Bobtail) are around $1800 for the Duty Coated VBOB and $1600 for the stainless model. I opted for the black finish as Dan Wesson's proprietary Duty Coat is almost indestructible my ECO with the same finish shows no wear even after nine solid months of carry. Upon first inspection the gun is very well put together with allot of attention put into every step of its assembly. Sights are clear and crisp featuring Heine straight eight sights with a ledge on the rear sight for one handed manipulation of the gun. The trigger broke evenly at 3.7 LBS and was very crisp with almost no pre-travel making it seem even lighter.

vMFEBjKh.jpg

The VBOB was then taken to the range out back and we (my father, Bass N' Bucks owner and I ) shot around 240-250 rounds through it straight out of the box. The rounds used in this range trip were as follows.

Blazer Brass 230gr. FMJ
    Magtech 230gr JHP +P (Very hot producing 518 foot pounds of energy on target at 1007 FPS)
    Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok JHP
    Federal 165gr Guard Dog Expanding FMJ
    Federal 230gr HST (my preferred carry round)

Side note: The sights are set up as a loli-pop from Dan Wesson and were quite east to get the hang of.

During the entire range trip the VBOB did not experience a single malfunction across all types of ammunition and magazine types used. Recoil was very manageable and did not fatigue the shooter. Upon presenting the pistol towards the target it pointed very well and the VG slim line G10 grips gave the shooter allot of control over the weapon. The safety comes off with an nice audible click and the Heine straight eight sights were easy to acquire and shoot, all three of us were able to shoot an eight shot group around two inches wide at 20 yards by the end of the range trip with little difficulty attesting to how well the VBOB is put together. (Forgot to take pictures of the targets will post next time I take the VBOB to the range)

Now after proving itself on the range it was time to take the VBOB down and see what made it such an incredible shooting pistol. All the parts on the VBOB are either forged steel of milled from bar stock there are absolutely no MIM parts on any Dan Wesson pistol (Kimber, Colt and Springfield I am looking at you). The Slide to frame fit is very tight as well as the barrel to slide fit with no discernible movement evident in the pistol.
    Muukeumh.jpg

The bushing to barrel fit was also very tight with a bushing wrench needed to get the bushing off the slide. The part used by Dan Wesson is an EGW carry bevel bushing (the bushing and the main spring housing are the only two parts not made by Dan Wesson in house).
    0PsIyyPh.jpg

The slide and frame are totally coated in the Duty Coat finish inside and out. The coating wears very well and provides a smooth surface for which the action to ride. There are no visible machine marks or imperfections evident on any part of the VBOB.
    V8WIKk2h.jpg

GGarKjXh.jpg

The front strap checkering is 25LPI and is very grippy but not overly aggressive like on a Springfield TRP. A side note is that the checkering on the steel frames seems to be sharper than that on the alloy framed Dan Wessons despite both being the exact same LPI.
    JJ9E8aGh.jpg

TY5YK2Dh.jpg

(VBOB on the right with the alloy framed ECO to the left)

The match grade barrel is also very well done on the VBOB helping aid in the guns incredible accuracy. While it is a match grade barrel the chamber is not so tight as to cause malfunctions with reloaded ammunition. The throat is also polished helping to aid in reliability.
    B1mLlX7h.jpg

2Civyi3h.jpg

The VBOB features an GI style recoil system and was re assembled very easily with everything fitting back together perfectly and smoother than ever. The smoothness of the action is easily comparable to our Wilson Combat CQB.

All in all the VBOB is an amazing value coming with the same fit and finish as other 1911's that cost $1000+ more. A person at the range who handled the VBOB said it was as nice as his Ed Brown Kobra Carry and were almost identical when compared to each other. So if you are looking for a commander sized 1911 look no further the VBOB comes with everything a good defensive pistol needs: great fit and finish, 100% reliability, ultra slim, and in a caliber suitable for self defense.
    10/10 would buy again.

s3XJ99wh.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Tom, one of these days when I get through this hectic travel pace, we'll hit Point Blank, and you can punch some paper with mine. Dean, my matte stainless VBob has been just as flawless. I know these are a bit pricey compared to other options out there, but as Dean points out, they are IMO a custom gun at a mass-production price. Fit and finish is spectacular, and while I haven't put as many rounds in mine as Dean has, there's not a squeak or rattle to be found.

I really, really like these Heinie sights... just "dot the i", and you're on target.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Nice review. I have handled DW's and they are very nice 1911's
    Would like to get in on the Point Blank shoot when you do it and I'll bring along my Les Baer Stinger for a comparison.
    the VBOB and Stinger are fairly close in price.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Tom, one of these days when I get through this hectic travel pace, we'll hit Point Blank, and you can punch some paper with mine. Dean, my matte stainless VBob has been just as flawless. I know these are a bit pricey compared to other options out there, but as Dean points out, they are IMO a custom gun at a mass-production price. Fit and finish is spectacular, and while I haven't put as many rounds in mine as Dean has, there's not a squeak or rattle to be found.

I really, really like these Heinie sights... just "dot the i", and you're on target.

I like these, too. I feel like they eliminate very subtle inaccuracies in sighting due to parallax.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    DC how long was the wait between order and delivery?

About 2 weeks, Indiana Gun Club has I believe a Stainless and a Black VBOB in stock right now for the same price as Bass N Bucks has. The onky reason I ordered from Bass N Bucks was because we know the owners very well.

I would also be willing to bring my Dan Wesson to point blank for an INGO shoot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

About 2 weeks, Indiana Gun Club has I believe a Stainless and a Black VBOB in stock right now for the same price as Bass N Bucks has. The onky reason I ordered from Bass N Bucks was because we know the owners very well.

I would also be willing to bring my Dan Wesson to point blank for an INGO shoot.

Sounds like we need a Point Blank INGO shoot :cool:

I just saw this one come up on Armslist, but he's asking wayyy too much IMO for an unknown round count, wear marks, and no box/paperwork. This isn't much of a deal.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Dan Wesson Stainless VBob 1911 w/extras

I dunno, if I had $1100 kicking around, I'd be very tempted!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the review. I really would love to add a DW to the collection one of these days. They certainly seem to be top shelf carry guns.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Range report time with a nice picture included. Took the VBOB out on another outing today around 200 rounds total for a total of roughly 500 through the pistol (Break in is finally over!!!). There was not a single jam the entire time as to be expected. The VBOB is capable of much greater accuracy than I will ever be capable of often shooting ragged hole groups at 10 yards pretty consistently.

The all steel frame soaks up recoil quite well not fatiguing the shooters hands like aluminum framed commander and officer sized 1911's often times do. The sights are still very easy to use and acquire utilizing a nice 6 O' Clock hold that makes longer shots easier so you are not left hoping the dot is covering the small target. Overall I am still very very impressed with the VBOB and anyone looking for a commander sized 1911 would be hard pressed to find a better firearm at the price point.

10/10 Still

v9eL7d4h.jpg

This was the grouping at 25 yards, the groups on the smaller targets were from 10-15 yards.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    OP, I heard those things fall apart after 600-700 rounds. I'd hate for you to see that happen, so I can take it off your hands to save you the heartbreak.

A DW Valor is my dream 1911, I am enjoying this pistol goodness vicariously. Congrats on the great gun!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If enough people want to do the point blank shoot mentioned earlier I am more than happy to bring my toys to let others try this awesome pistol out.

That would be awesome. We need to figure out a good time for this. Me, you and Hopper for sure. That would be a great time at the range :)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    That would be awesome. We need to figure out a good time for this. Me, you and Hopper for sure. That would be a great time at the range :)

Yesss!! My next couple of weekends are committed, but after that, we really need to set this up! We need to have craigkim join us as well.

WTB, I think you'll like the matte stainless VBob better than that monstrosity DC has. Hahh!! Actually, I shouldn't say that... DC, I don't have much more than 100 rounds through mine... I bet yours is getting silky-sweet after your break-in!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yesss!! My next couple of weekends are committed, but after that, we really need to set this up! We need to have craigkim join us as well.

WTB, I think you'll like the matte stainless VBob better than that monstrosity DC has. Hahh!! Actually, I shouldn't say that... DC, I don't have much more than 100 rounds through mine... I bet yours is getting silky-sweet after your break-in!

I love the look of both, but I'm partial to stainless 1911's. We'll have to see which I decide on when I start saving up for it :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love the look of both, but I'm partial to stainless 1911's. We'll have to see which I decide on when I start saving up for it :)

The Duty Coat finish is about $300 more than stock stainless, but the finish is damn near impervious to wear and since I am actually shooting and carrying mine (cough cough Mr. only a 100 rounds) I figured it would be a worthy investment.

Top Bottom