• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So long story short I have a budget to buy another gun and really like the new age revolvers (at least thats what I call the revolvers that are not SA that look like the old west). Initially I was looking at getting the Ruger SP 101, .357 with a 3" barrel. The thinking was it was a nice backup carry gun, something light and powerful enough to take hiking, long enough to have some fun at the range, etc... It was kind of this all in one gun for me. I'm having second thoughts and considering a host of other guns instead. I thought about the SP101 match with a 4" barrel, a lot of fun to shoot at a range,could still carry honestly probably bulkier than what I prefer (which means I won't do that), and its too fancy to me to carry in the woods. I thought about a judge/governor as it adds another nice home defense gun, can be light enough to carry as a backup or hiking, but not much fun to shoot at the range (at least when I shoot my buddies it isn't, that may be because I don;t want to pay for 45LC). I thought about the Ruger Redhawk (4" barrel) I get the range joy, but thats about it. Seems way too heavy (and nice) to hike with and not likely to carry it either as a backup gun. Its also a little longer than these others. Its also the priciest of the options. In my head the range seems like the biggest draw, but when I am in the woods I like having something more than a 9mm or a giant 44mag. I gave up a snubbed nose because I never shot it at the range, didn;t carry it that often and was in a .38 so didn;t hold the punch the hiking gun I aspired to would have. Sure I would like to buy one of each, but got to prioritize at this point. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcomed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had a Ruger SP101 357 many years ago. They are great guns. Nice powerful, well built gun, with some heft to it, but not too much and can be carried pretty easily, with a good holster and a good gun belt. That said, and I don't know too much about them, but the Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100 would also be on my list if I was serious about throwing some money at a nice revolver. I never got into the S&W revolvers (just never looked into them much way back when I was into revolvers) , but had several Rugers (sold them all off) and don't think you can go wrong with them.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    OP, it sure sounds like a 3" SP-101 might fit your bill. They're not as common as the 2" models, but they can be found. I had one a while back, and installed Wolff springs in it, which made the trigger much more liveable especially in DA. I'm more of a S&W wheel gun fan, but always liked Ruger's modular approach to how the gun is assembled. No side plate, and with a little practice, a Ruger can be broken down to a bare frame in a handful of minutes.

Jtrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2016
    Fountain county
    I just bought a Smith model 60 with a three inch barrel this week because my thinking was similar to yours. So far I really like it, it's enjoyable to carry and shoot

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have a snubby Sp101 .357 magnum that I have carried since 1993. I have used it to stop a theft in progress and have shot many prairie dogs with it. The longer barrel you are considering is not a detriment. It is a really great handgun.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a Smith model 60 with a three inch barrel this week because my thinking was similar to yours. So far I really like it, it's enjoyable to carry and shoot
    I checked these out too, they are a bit shorter in overall length, slightly lighter and have the adjustable sight. Just wondering if I wouldn't ultimately want a longer barrel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The 3” model 60 Pro Series Guns are fantastic shooters. My dad was carrying one today. His will outshot his 4” 627. It is a very accurate little gun.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    SP-101 seems like a solid, handsome piece to me. I don't think I'd ever buy a wheel gun, though when I saw this at my local shop I had to hold it. It felt solid and fit well in my small hands. I think it was around $500? I was tempted to find a used one. This one had rubberish grips but the shop guy had no idea what kind of aftermarket or holster support it has. Was wondering if anyone has one too.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    SP-101 seems like a solid, handsome piece to me. I don't think I'd ever buy a wheel gun, though when I saw this at my local shop I had to hold it. It felt solid and fit well in my small hands. I think it was around $500? I was tempted to find a used one. This one had rubberish grips but the shop guy had no idea what kind of aftermarket or holster support it has. Was wondering if anyone has one too.

Yeah the Ruger SP101 3" has a rubber grip, it feels good and so does the S&W Model 60. I have checked them both out as well. I guess I am debating what am I really going to use it for? Carry, hiking, range time, etc... I think I want this gun to be my "all around gun" to do a little bit of everything. I keep envisioning going to the range with it, and that leads me to a 4" SP101 match grade model instead. Then I look at the S&W and see the 3" with a lighter weight and think that would be nice hiking with and will still get a great performance as was mentioned in the previous post.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My hiking gun is a S&W 329 PD. It's a 4" .44 magnum, but it's the same weight as the Ruger SP101.

Being an N-frame Smith, the choices in holster and grips are basically limitless. I put the X-frame grip on it, and now shooting full .44 magnums isn't too bad. (I do have a rather high tolerance for handgun recoil, though.) With .44 special ammo, it feels very similar to shooting a .38 special.

I keep looking at the S&W 69, which is a 5-shot .44 on the L-frame. I still think I'd like to give it a try sometime.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    If you've got money to think about Smith, maybe that model 60 would suit your needs? Idk though, your 3" barrel idea sounds better than 2", in .357!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought an SP101 in .327 Federal magnum a year ago and couldn't be happier with it.
    It has a 4.2" barrel, but is not hard at all for me to carry.
    The weight is light enough, for me, that I find myself checking to make sure it's still there.
    I bought the 4" barrel so it would be legal to hunt with but have yet to take anything.

The SP101's are great guns right out of the box.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I have an SP 101 3" with CT sight that I carry on a regular basis. Couldn't ask for a better revolver. I have a few revolvers including a S&W air weight .38, Taurus Model 85 etc....The Ruger is the stand out among them all. Yes, its a little heavier than some others (29.2 oz. loaded) but that aids in recoil etc...The 3" barrel provides a tad more accuracy and a tad less recoil but it is still easily concealable. The key there is a good holster and belt. Accuracy is one of the best out there and the SP 101 is as well built as they come. When I started in law enforcement in 1977 revolvers were the standard with pretty much the only semi autos being 1911 style 45's. My first issue was a S&W Model 10 .38 Over the years I had experienced many different revolvers as primary and secondary weapons and to this day, my Ruger is the best I have had (except for the 4" Python). I trust it to my and my families safety pretty much daily. It doesn't hurt that it is chambered in .357 as well which is a time tested and proven effective defensive caliber.

The 3" SP 101 is not as common as the snubbie version but yes they are out there, just be patient and you will find one if you decide to take the plunge. If so, you will not be disappointed, of that I am sure. Good luck!! SP101.JPG

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have an SP 101 3" with CT sight that I carry on a regular basis. Couldn't ask for a better revolver. I have a few revolvers including a S&W air weight .38, Taurus Model 85 etc....The Ruger is the stand out among them all. Yes, its a little heavier than some others (29.2 oz. loaded) but that aids in recoil etc...The 3" barrel provides a tad more accuracy and a tad less recoil but it is still easily concealable. The key there is a good holster and belt. Accuracy is one of the best out there and the SP 101 is as well built as they come. When I started in law enforcement in 1977 revolvers were the standard with pretty much the only semi autos being 1911 style 45's. My first issue was a S&W Model 10 .38 Over the years I had experienced many different revolvers as primary and secondary weapons and to this day, my Ruger is the best I have had (except for the 4" Python). I trust it to my and my families safety pretty much daily. It doesn't hurt that it is chambered in .357 as well which is a time tested and proven effective defensive caliber.

The 3" SP 101 is not as common as the snubbie version but yes they are out there, just be patient and you will find one if you decide to take the plunge. If so, you will not be disappointed, of that I am sure. Good luck!! View attachment 63044

Thanks this was really helpful. My local gun shop can order no problem, just wondering if I would be more happy with a 4". The match grade SP101 looks appealing and the SP 101 in 4" does too. Like others mentioned above the hunting option is nice (although I have several others that would meet that criteria if I were going out specifically with hunting in mind). What kind of holster are you using?

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks this was helpful !
    I bought an SP101 in .327 Federal magnum a year ago and couldn't be happier with it.
    It has a 4.2" barrel, but is not hard at all for me to carry.
    The weight is light enough, for me, that I find myself checking to make sure it's still there.
    I bought the 4" barrel so it would be legal to hunt with but have yet to take anything.

The SP101's are great guns right out of the box.

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    I have a 3.01" Ruger Sp101. they don't make very many holsters for it. plenty available for the 2" snubby and the longer barrels. I did find a holster which i am very happy with; made by Bianchi #3114. It rides nicely on your belt complimenting the slimmer cylinder. I have found myself forgetting i'm carrying when wearing it. sorry for no pics i'm not talented in that regard. Oh, this holster would fit the snubby but nothing longer than the 3". Hope this helps

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    Have owned a snub SP101 and carried in a kydex IWB Holster very easy carry, nice little gun! Prefer the Ruger’s (either the “SP” or “GP”) in 38 spl or 357. DA triggers may be a little heavy out of the box but very smooth, SA very crisp. If looking at the 44 Spl/Mag I prefer the S&W over the Ruger, the Redhawk 4.2” trigger I had was not even close to the same class as a 29/629 trigger and astheically S&W hands down better looking gun than the Ruger in 44. So a Ruger for any 357, and S&W for any 44 Mag.

Top Bottom