• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    How about a 3" GP100 - either standard or the Wiley Clapp edition??
    Other options include the new model ("nm") 66 from S&W.
    These would be my top choices based on your description. If weight and carrying it are MORE important than general range use, look at the 3" ruger LCR

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Thanks this was really helpful. My local gun shop can order no problem, just wondering if I would be more happy with a 4". The match grade SP101 looks appealing and the SP 101 in 4" does too. Like others mentioned above the hunting option is nice (although I have several others that would meet that criteria if I were going out specifically with hunting in mind). What kind of holster are you using?

Daltech Super Bio Gun Belt with a Winthrop 1013 leather OWB Holster most of the time. I also have a leather Don Hume H715M IWB holster I use mostly in warm months....Barrel length is up to you....I am not a hunter but I like the 3" barrel better for accuracy and recoil than the 2.25"....If you can conceal the 4" barrel comfortably and thats your preference, go for it...As I said, you will not be disappointed.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have a 3.01" Ruger Sp101. they don't make very many holsters for it. plenty available for the 2" snubby and the longer barrels. I did find a holster which i am very happy with; made by Bianchi #3114. It rides nicely on your belt complimenting the slimmer cylinder. I have found myself forgetting i'm carrying when wearing it. sorry for no pics i'm not talented in that regard. Oh, this holster would fit the snubby but nothing longer than the 3". Hope this helps

The holster issue has been a concern for me too, I did see a few more options for the S&W model 60, but still nothing great. Although I got a great recommendation from Camping Josh for hiking (Hill People Gear recon Kit Bag). Thanks for the comment.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Have owned a snub SP101 and carried in a kydex IWB Holster very easy carry, nice little gun! Prefer the Ruger’s (either the “SP” or “GP”) in 38 spl or 357. DA triggers may be a little heavy out of the box but very smooth, SA very crisp. If looking at the 44 Spl/Mag I prefer the S&W over the Ruger, the Redhawk 4.2” trigger I had was not even close to the same class as a 29/629 trigger and astheically S&W hands down better looking gun than the Ruger in 44. So a Ruger for any 357, and S&W for any 44 Mag.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't shot either gun so this was insightful

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    How about a 3" GP100 - either standard or the Wiley Clapp edition??
    Other options include the new model ("nm") 66 from S&W.
    These would be my top choices based on your description. If weight and carrying it are MORE important than general range use, look at the 3" ruger LCR

I saw the LCRx in 38spl, my stepdad bought this and I really liked the weight and general feel, I guess I really just wanted that gun in .357 but haven'ts found something quite that light in .357. The Ruger GP models seemed a little bigger to me though than the SP models, which I know I won't carry if its too big. I sent a request to Ruger for length, width and heights specs on some SP and GP just so I could try and envision the differences. Although I am starting to lean more towards a lighter 44 mag for hiking (selling the heavy model I have now) and then maybe a 3"-4" 357 for range use. IDK, still on the fence.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Daltech Super Bio Gun Belt with a Winthrop 1013 leather OWB Holster most of the time. I also have a leather Don Hume H715M IWB holster I use mostly in warm months....Barrel length is up to you....I am not a hunter but I like the 3" barrel better for accuracy and recoil than the 2.25"....If you can conceal the 4" barrel comfortably and thats your preference, go for it...As I said, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the comments! I will check this out as well.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You're on the right track...a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum is probably one of the most versatile revolvers out there...and with the variety of tritum night sights, grips, holsters, + Wolff Spring sets out there, there's not much you can't do to personalize it to fit your liking!

It's accurate, rugged, reliable, and versatile!

IMO...if you get a 4"...get a GP100 with the extra round!

I've had my 2.25" SP101 since Christmas '94...and I had a 3" that ended up selling to my brother when $$ were tight. I definitely want another 3" for hiking purposes!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the day model 66 police trade in’s were common. 4 inchers were the most common. So the sixes and 2 1/2 were much less common. The prices were very cheap and the triggers were very nice. If you can find one in your price range I would go that route.
    I have a smith and Wesson gene in my gun collection DNA.

Nothing wrong with ruger revolver. Security six or sp101. Three inch is a nice balance for offhand shooting but I prefer to shoot the longer barrels. That said my personal carry has been a 2 1/2 inch Smith model 66 since the 1980’s.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You're on the right track...a 3" Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum is probably one of the most versatile revolvers out there...and with the variety of tritum night sights, grips, holsters, + Wolff Spring sets out there, there's not much you can't do to personalize it to fit your liking!

It's accurate, rugged, reliable, and versatile!

IMO...if you get a 4"...get a GP100 with the extra round!

I've had my 2.25" SP101 since Christmas '94...and I had a 3" that ended up selling to my brother when $$ were tight. I definitely want another 3" for hiking purposes!

Thanks for the comments. I am trying to balance the whole have fun at the range, which I think I would get from a 4" barrel (but I already have 6" I could do that with) with a light weight carry gun, but still wanting the hunting option that comes in 4". My carry is a Glock 43, so this other revolver is just a back up I guess. I have checked out the S&W model 60 and the SP101 3" at the store, but didn't see any SP 101 in 4" to compare overall length.

Anyone try to use an ankle hoster on a 3"-4" on a small frame?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    3” in the Ankle would be too much. SP101 is also pretty heavy. Plus most the 3” guns have a spurred hammer, which would be my preference for a “kit gun”.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A 3" barreled .357 Mag makes a mighty fine walking around gun. One in .327 Fed would also make a mighty fine walking around gun. There will probably be higher perceived recoil from the SP101 vs. a GP 100, however. Makes sense that the smaller gun would have a higher felt recoil, right?

The GP100 isn't a small firearm. My dad had 3" barreled one for a few years. That thing just looked disproportional. For ME, if it's a larger frame, I'd go 4". But that's me.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    A 3" barreled .357 Mag makes a mighty fine walking around gun. One in .327 Fed would also make a mighty fine walking around gun. There will probably be higher perceived recoil from the SP101 vs. a GP 100, however. Makes sense that the smaller gun would have a higher felt recoil, right?

The GP100 isn't a small firearm. My dad had 3" barreled one for a few years. That thing just looked disproportional. For ME, if it's a larger frame, I'd go 4". But that's me.

Agreed the GP100 is not on a small frame like the SP101 models. I am leaning more towards the SP 101, I guess debating on barrel length at this point. I appreciate the comments.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    3” in the Ankle would be too much. SP101 is also pretty heavy. Plus most the 3” guns have a spurred hammer, which would be my preference for a “kit gun”.

Thanks for the comments, I figured as much but thought I would see what folks had to say about it.

Top Bottom