Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: 9mm - What's your preferred carry load?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Info Menu

NATO stuff or whatever my current hand loads are.

User Info Menu

I never pretend to be a ballistics expert. I leave that to folks like Dr Gary Roberts and the team's of science needs he works with.

9mm is gtg.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfmileharry View Post
    How about the penetration factor this time of year with heavy clothing aka coats, jackets, etc???
    This inquiry is directed at the experienced members here with actual knowledge...
    Not really an issue in duty calibers with quality cartridge selection. Hollowpoints that plug will typically fail to expand and penetrate more in heavy clothing. Hollowpoints that are over driven will start to fragment early and penetrate even less. Ball, of course, is largely unaffected. There are many good HP options today that aren't nearly as likely to plug and fail to expand as the 1980's and 1990's tech was. .380 and under the choices get more restricted, and it's quite difficult to get a consistently performing expanding bullet after heavy clothing, unless you count consistently acting like ball ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    I hear a lot of good about the 147 HST, anything extra special other than the weight?
    It's an extremely barrier blind and consistent performer. here's a lot of good options out there in the 124-147gr category for 9mm right now, though, so I hesitate to describe the HST as "special". Specific to the Gen 5 Glock shooter, the 147gr weight is supposedly what the new line was optimized for. I don't think the differences in recoil, group size, etc. are particularly significant, though.
    L'otters are not afraid.

Expert

User Info Menu

124gr HST in my G43 only because I seem to have the only G43 that doesn't like 147gr HST's.

147gr HST if I'm carrying any other 9mm.

User Info Menu

HST 124 +P in my P365.
    Underwood Gold Dot 147+P in my M&P Compact 2.0 with 3.6" barrel.
    HST 147 in my other 9mm pistols with barrels of 4" or longer. HST 147 for my carbines as well.

Honestly, if it's an HST or a Gold Dot in 124 or 147 grain, I think you've done about all you can to select an effective 9mm load.
    I like +P in shorter barrels to make up for velocity loss a little. Probably not necessary, but gives me a little more confidence.

Practice and bulk SHTF ammo is Winchester 124 grain 9mm NATO or Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ.
    My guns won't be illegal....they'll be undocumented.

User Info Menu

Is this the appropriate thread to ask, since a lot of us are using HST, where is a good place to get HST now? Prices have skyrocketed since Federal cracked down on selling the 50 round boxes only to LE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-NotGay View Post
    Is this the appropriate thread to ask, since a lot of us are using HST, where is a good place to get HST now? Prices have skyrocketed since Federal cracked down on selling the 50 round boxes only to LE.

There are several vendors at the Indy 1500 gun show that have confirmed to me that they will still continue to sell "discounted" 50 round boxes at the gun shows. The explanation I was given is Federal wants to avoid becoming the next "Black Talon" in case some jack wagon decides to use HST in a shooting or some other paranoid crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-NotGay View Post
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/a...ml#post7822022

There is also a $1/box rebate running on 9mm. Rebate plus Prime Ammo membership at Target sports USA gets it down to $26.59/box shipped.

User Info Menu

I use 147g HST in all of my 9mm pistols. It seems to run well in everything.

For .40, itís either HST or GS. CZs donít seem to like the .40 caliber HSTs as much as they do the Golden Sabreís. For .45, itís 230g HSTs mostly but do have a bunch of 185g GS around for the smaller .45s.

But, for 9mm, the 147g HST is my go-to ammo for all of the reasons mentioned above.
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

As of 5:40 PM Feb 9th, 2019, Federal HST 36 to all others 20...
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast