Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 57

User Info Menu

Ruger 57

I'm almost 70 but I'm out hiking and biking a lot, I want a lightweight handgun reliable and a full size. The 57 feels good and two 20rd magazines. I finally held one at the last Crown Point show felt good and $599 but pretty high. anyone have some thoughts?...Porter county this weekend

Expert

User Info Menu

With the ones on Gunbroker selling north of $700.00, if I could get one for 600, I'd probably go for it. Of course, it means adding another caliber to the collection, but it looks like a FUN caliber. Hopefully we'll see more offerings in the 5.7, my main interest being rifles.

User Info Menu

Never heard of the Ruger 57... had to look it up ...

Wow, that's as ugly as those funky FN's.

Oh, it's 5.7x28, that explains it.

As I understand it, the 5.7x28 was designed for confined spaces, but still needed to piece armor. But, the AP ammo isn't available to civilians, so what's the benefit?

As a defense round, it looks like it has less energy than a 9mm, and the latter has a ton of good projectiles that are less expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Harder to get ammo for. Reliability challenges with Bottleneck cartridges. More delicate and shorter case life to handload. No gained ballistics over anything already produced. Western Europe Background. However they are a lot of fun to shoot on a casual basis. JMO
    Matthew 6.21

User Info Menu

With 20 rounds on board and extra mag with another 20 that is impressive. As long as it is not a huge pistol Id be game.
    Be good, do good, make good things happen.

User Info Menu

If you buy the 65gr Underwood ammunition 9mm offering you can achieve 1800fps with a 5" 9mm it's a +p round so make sure your 9mm is rated for +p.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Yes, you could do that at the expense of recoil but no full size 9mm is going to be anywhere near as lightweight as the 57 which was one of the OP's main requirements.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by two70 View Post
    Yes, you could do that at the expense of recoil but no full size 9mm is going to be anywhere near as lightweight as the 57 which was one of the OP's main requirements.
    My Canik TP9DA with a 20rd magazine weights 25 oz. 0.5 oz more than the Ruger 57. However, as you said the recoil would be a lot more than the 5.7x28 round.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    My Canik TP9DA with a 20rd magazine weights 25 oz. 0.5 oz more than the Ruger 57. However, as you said the recoil would be a lot more than the 5.7x28 round.
    I was thinking the kinda along the same lines but now I'm wondering what the right difference is between 20 rounds of 9mm vs the same amount of 5.7x28. there will be some variance depending on bullet weight but I'm sure even the lightest defensive 9 weighs more than the heaviest 5.7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tv1217 View Post
    I was thinking the kinda along the same lines but now I'm wondering what the right difference is between 20 rounds of 9mm vs the same amount of 5.7x28. there will be some variance depending on bullet weight but I'm sure even the lightest defensive 9 weighs more than the heaviest 5.7
    So, bullet choice is an extremely important subject when we're talking about 5.7x28. I'm not as well versed as I could be, but I know enough and have experimented enough to feel completely comfortable carrying a 5.7 over 9mm. That being said, your 27-28gr lead free hollow points in the basic SS195 or SS198 (they are for all intents and purposes the same except one says LE ONLY and that's only a manufacturer recommendation) have produced wound results similar to 45acp +p in meat targets. All that in mind, Speer is producing a gold dot hollow point and that should be pretty reasonable for later this year after some testing has been done. There are a couple of really good testers on youtube and the 5.7 forums you can google for additional info. Most commercial 5.7x28 isn't loaded to be as hot as it can be by any stretch and you must remember that reloading it isn't difficult, just more precise that hucking 5 grains +or- .5 grain into a 45 acp case. It is more expensive when you calculate dies etc, but that should be coming a little closer to reasonable with the ruger 57 coming out and more pcc in 5.7. Also worth mentioning, you need to take special care when cleaning the brass. There's a method that isn't expensive and cleans them perfectly fine for reloading that saves the lacquer on the brass so you get greater case life. There are specialty ammo manufacturers that load full power 5.7x28 and really get the potential of the round, but it's expensive boutique ammo and is close to $2 or more a round in certain places if you can find it. it's definitely stronger than 9mm imo despite lacking the strength on paper. 45-70 looks abysmally slow on paper, but I'm sure everyone here is aware of it's destructive potential.

45 acp takes a life, 10mm takes a soul. GOA & FPC Member.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast