• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    I was looking to buy a Glock. I was trying to decide between the 17, 19, 0r 34. If I had the money I would buy them all (I'm limited to $600). Like golf clubs each gun os more effective in certain situations. You can't just go out with your driver and play 18 holes effectually. I KNOW their is no such thing as a magical club that drives, lofts, and putts or a gun that is great for concealment and shooting competitions. More over to the point, I want to buy a gun for protection and shooting competitions although I know I'll be sacrificing something.

The 19 ($460) is great for concealment, but it has a shorter barrel, and fixed sights.
    The 17 ($480) is a little bit bigger, however, it has a longer barrel and again fixed sights
    The 34 ($550) is rather larger, but it has adjustable sights, long barrel

Also I was wondering if the 34 would be impractical for concealment, although I'm leaning to the 17. I would only carry on weekends and trips. I can't carry during the week due to state laws ( i work at a school).

I would love to hear your guy's thoughts! By the way I'm still a handgun newb.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would only carry on weekends and trips. I can't carry during the weekend due to state laws.

What? This statement makes no sense.

As for which one to buy, what are you trying to accomplish? Deep concealment? Sheer stopping power? Competition/target shooting? Each model serves a slightly different purpose and the one you choose will depend on a number of factors.

Personally, I would go for a 19 because it's a 9mm, so target ammo is cheap (compared to .40 or .45) and it makes a good carry gun.

Fish609

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you plan on carrying it regularly, even just on weekends, I would suggest the 19. I like mine =).

All the listed ones are good. I don't think there is really a wrong answer, but the longer guns will realistically be harder to carry.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What? This statement makes no sense.

As for which one to buy, what are you trying to accomplish? Deep concealment? Sheer stopping power? Competition/target shooting? Each model serves a slightly different purpose and the one you choose will depend on a number of factors.

"I want to buy a gun for protection and shooting competitions although I know I'll be sacrificing something."

Personally, I would go for a 19 because it's a 9mm, so target ammo is cheap (compared to .40 or .45) and it makes a good carry gun.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you plan on carrying it regularly, even just on weekends, I would suggest the 19. I like mine =).

All the listed ones are good. I don't think there is really a wrong answers, but the longer guns will realistically be harder to carry.

I agree, I like my 19 because of the 15+1, and because when I'm sitting the barrel/slide don't push the gun 'upwards', it's comfortable - but with that said.....

"wondering if the 34 would be impractical for concealment, although I'm leaning to the 17"

If you're going to get the g17 (which I have on my side right now) - I would go ahead and get the 34....In my experience, it's not the barrel length that makes it hard to conceal - it's the grip length and since 17/34 have the same grip length....You just need a good holster.

Good luck with your choice - I like em all!

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Heh, I was so focused on him saying that he would only carry on weekends when prohibited by state law that I missed that completely. :):

That said, it just reinforces my thought that a 19 would be my choice.

Yeah I think he meant to say he can't carry during the week, he may possibly work in IL - or where otherwise restricted USPS/school

I admit I was confused a little at 1st also;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah I think he meant to say he can't carry during the week, he may possibly work in IL - or where otherwise restricted USPS/school

I admit I was confused a little at 1st also;)

I assumed so as well. That's why I asked for a clarification. If he's talking about Indiana, I'd love to know more about the "no weekend carry" law.

PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Heh, I was so focused on him saying that he would only carry on weekends when prohibited by state law that I missed that completely. :):

I meant to say week. I work at a school. Sorry for the typo, AND NO I DON'T TEACH ENGLISH... thank God for that.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I really like the 19. If you live near plainfield shooting supplies they have all the sizes available and they will let you get a few out at once to compare sizes. They had a huge selection in both new and used flavors.

I was down there the other day and loved the 17. from what I saw it was about 1/2 inch taller and longer than the 19. To me half an inch would not make much of a difference in terms of concealment, but in terms of comfort in my hands it made all the different. I would assume that the slightly longer barrel would be more accurate for competitive shooting as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I meant to say week. I work at a school. Sorry for the typo, AND NO I DON'T TEACH ENGLISH... thank God for that.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. :)

I still like the 19 for its versatility. It's easy to conceal, it's reliably accurate, and it holds a good number of rounds. You can easily use it for any of the applications in your original post. Plus, it's the cheapest of the three and it's the easiest for which to find spare/aftermarket parts.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I think you answered your own question... You want something for protection and to shoot competition. On the one hand you have a G19, good for protection(concealment) and on the other hand you want to shoot competition which would be the G34. So you combined the two guns and you come up with the G17. Some say that the full size G17 is too big and impractical. Well I carry a G22 everyday everywhere. I don't always try to hide it but when I do you would never know I had it on me.
    The G19 would be my second choice cuz protection > competition.

PEARCE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Thanks for your replies

I think I'm going to go with the 19. Then maybe purchase the 34 in the summer or it could be a Christmas present from Santa Claus. However, I really need to shoot fifty or so rounds on the range with the 19 before I move forward with buying one.

Thanks

Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    I like the 34. 3.5 lbs. trigger and if you put a light on it you will find it does not stick out past the end of the barrel. I do carry it on occasion.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    G17 is my CCW and when time permits I also use it to compete in USPSA matches.

G34 is my SHTF gun and has a TLR-1 light mounted to it.

G19 is a great gun, I own a couple, but I can just as easily conceal a G17.

Also, I prefer the GenII G17's for my CCW needs as I am not a big fan of the finger groove grip and I don't need the ability to mount a light to it.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Why do you find the larger G17 easier to conceal? Smaller seems like t would be easier to me.

I like the gen 3/4 for the rail and finger grooves, I guess its all personal preference.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The dimension that makes a 17 harder to conceal than a 19 is the grip height, not barrel length. The 17 is 7/16"taller than a 19. Anyone who would consider carrying a 19 with a grip extension is willing to carry a 17.

Of course, the extra 7/16" may be more than you are willing to add. Not everyone feels that way.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why do you find the larger G17 easier to conceal? Smaller seems like t would be easier to me.

I like the gen 3/4 for the rail and finger grooves, I guess its all personal preference.

He didn't say it is 'easier to conceal' a 17 as opposed to a 19

He said "I can just as easily conceal a G17"

As for most situations I agree with him.

ETA:

With a good holster - large framed pistols become much easier to conceal

Top Bottom