• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok here it is...........I was bit by the bug and have started my 1st and hopefully ONLY 10/22 build:laugh:.

I have selected a stock for the unit, am still looking for an action, but have been posed with the BIG question...what barrel?

I am looking at the Tactical Solutions barrel or the Magnum Research 17" Lite graphite Barrel. Has anyone owned both or had experience with ether?

This will be used at the range and in the field. I also have two young ones that will be shooting it so that is why I went with the lite weight barrels...

I already have a Savage 22lr with the Accu-Trigger for the bench and am just looking for something more fun to shoot. Don't get me wrong the Savage is fun........but in it's own way!

I have checked the old posts and went back three years and can't find where this has been covered before....if it has I apologize in advance.

Thanks

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    The tac sols are great barrels. I'll guess that your children will be more appreciative of it than you will. The rifle will feel like a toy to you.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've always had good luck with Green Mountain barrels, but they are a bit on the heavy side.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The tac sols are great barrels. I'll guess that your children will be more appreciative of it than you will. The rifle will feel like a toy to you.

Thanks for the advice.......as for feeling like a toy???? I hate to say it but I kind of like that feel!!!.....I currently carry a youth model 870 20gage rabbit hunting, and have a Marlin 1894P with the 16.25" barrel.....looks just like a Red Rider!!!! Friends give me a hard time about borrowing the kids/wife guns to go hunting but I love them because they don't drag you down, and their fast as HELL in the bush!!!! :dunno::draw:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I too wanted a light weight 10/22 so I got a graphite barrel (can't remember who made it) and added a Hogue Overmold stock for a really light weight nice shooter. The scope I used seems heavier than the rifle itself, but I am using a 6-18x40AO which isn't exactly anywhere near the lightest scope you can buy.

Very happy with the set up, and the barrel adds a cool look to the rifle.

picture.php

Sorry for the poor picture, but you get the idea.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the advice.......as for feeling like a toy???? I hate to say it but I kind of like that feel!!!.....I currently carry a youth model 870 20gage rabbit hunting, and have a Marlin 1894P with the 16.25" barrel.....looks just like a Red Rider!!!! Friends give me a hard time about borrowing the kids/wife guns to go hunting but I love them because they don't drag you down, and their fast as HELL in the bush!!!! :dunno::draw:
    I use mine in Steel Challenge matches. The light weight makes it very easy to swing and stop.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I too wanted a light weight 10/22 so I got a graphite barrel (can't remember who made it) and added a Hogue Overmold stock for a really light weight nice shooter. The scope I used seems heavier than the rifle itself, but I am using a 6-18x40AO which isn't exactly anywhere near the lightest scope you can buy.

Very happy with the set up, and the barrel adds a cool look to the rifle.

Any news or idea on accuracy on fiber barrel? Did you stick it on the bench to see what she would do with some good ammo? Sounds like the scope is plenty good to dial her in with.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Brother In-Law has a green Mountain on his and it preforms well but still need to keep weight in mind for the 7 & 9 year old.

Ah yea true, my youngest daughter does really prefer to shoot her "Lil Joe" over her 10/22 because it's a whole lot lighter.

The 10/22 w/the heavier barrel is a heck of a lot more accurate though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Volquartsen also has lightweight barrels, but I don't have any experience with them. I shoot a lot, and prefer a fluted barrel.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Any news or idea on accuracy on fiber barrel? Did you stick it on the bench to see what she would do with some good ammo? Sounds like the scope is plenty good to dial her in with.

Didn't do a good bench test, but off a steady rest was able to keep a quarter size hole at 50 yards using CCI Mini-mags. I really think it it was locked down it could shoot an amazingly smaller hole.

What I really like is that even with the heavy scope it is light enough to shoot all day long without getting tired arms.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Didn't do a good bench test, but off a steady rest was able to keep a quarter size hole at 50 yards using CCI Mini-mags. I really think it it was locked down it could shoot an amazingly smaller hole.

What I really like is that even with the heavy scope it is light enough to shoot all day long without getting tired arms.

Thanks for the impute!!

From what I have been hearing is sounds like more guys are running the aluminum over the graphite but I don't know if there is a specific reason or if it was just a matter of advertizing and availability.......Tactical Solution's is well know around the 22 world and seems to be on every web page so I am thinking that this is the driving force behind the percentage off balance???

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Since you are worried about weight, and it will be for your daughter, may I suggest you starting with the standard barrel which is not only fairly light but more accurate than most people will admit to. This will save you a lot of up front money and you can always get the new barrel later if you feel you need it.

One big problem with the 10/22 is the trigger usually is horrible and heavy from the factory. A good trigger job to smooth it out, but with a youngster learning on it, don't lower the trigger pull too much.

Personally I would leave the "pencil" barrel on the rifle, and get a good trigger job. At least, a Volquartsen hammer would be a good addition.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Ok here it is...........I was bit by the bug and have started my 1st and hopefully ONLY 10/22 build:laugh:.

Good Luck with that!! :D I am now on my third 10//22. Once you get the bug there is no going back.

I've always had good luck with Green Mountain barrels, but they are a bit on the heavy side.

:+1:on the Green Mountains. I have 2, great barrels. My 16.5" fluted sporter is nice and light. Sorry but I have no experience with the barrels you are looking at. I have always wanted to try a Tactical Solutions barrel, have heard alot of good things about them.

Top Bottom