• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Since you are worried about weight, and it will be for your daughter, may I suggest you starting with the standard barrel which is not only fairly light but more accurate than most people will admit to. This will save you a lot of up front money and you can always get the new barrel later if you feel you need it.

One big problem with the 10/22 is the trigger usually is horrible and heavy from the factory. A good trigger job to smooth it out, but with a youngster learning on it, don't lower the trigger pull too much.

Personally I would leave the "pencil" barrel on the rifle, and get a good trigger job. At least, a Volquartsen hammer would be a good addition.

Thanks for the impute.....you raise some very good points.....Am I better off going with just a drop in Timney trigger? Or are you better off going with a full Timney trigger group where it replaces everything....from checking online looks to be about a $70.00 add to do full replacement over just the trigger...is it worth the extra cash?

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just adding the Volquartsen hammer to the stock Ruger trigger group will give you an excellent trigger pull. It will be MUCH lighter than stock and only cost about $40.00.

~TK

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Have the Magnum Research Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel purchased used ($90). Laminated stock, epoxy bedded, volquartsen extractor and trigger parts, Tactical Innovations trigger group housing, skeletonized charging handle. Brass pillar with screw torqued to 30 in-lb. Stock Ruger bolt and action housing. Light and accurate. Did I mention accurate?

Thought about spending more on a CNC machined bolt and action housing, but don't think they will bring improvement in accuracy worth the investment. You can spend way too much money on a 10/22 as have I. But darn it, just makes me smile every time I pull the trigger.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    A lot of good advice out here, just remember that a heavy barrel might not be as accurate as a light one. It is the quality of the barrel not the weight.

strut70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    columbus
    My 10/22

I just finished this 10/22
    Tactical sol barrel
    timney trigger
    houge stock
    Have,nt shot it much but so far really satisfied
    CIMG3358.jpg
    !st
    CIMG3362.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Have the Magnum Research Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel purchased used ($90). Laminated stock, epoxy bedded, volquartsen extractor and trigger parts, Tactical Innovations trigger group housing, skeletonized charging handle. Brass pillar with screw torqued to 30 in-lb. Stock Ruger bolt and action housing. Light and accurate. Did I mention accurate?

Thought about spending more on a CNC machined bolt and action housing, but don't think they will bring improvement in accuracy worth the investment. You can spend way too much money on a 10/22 as have I. But darn it, just makes me smile every time I pull the trigger.

Yes from what I have read and what you have stated this is sounding like I just walked into a Crack Den and am looking to fire up for the first time!!! "Oooooooh I am only going to do it once!!!????" :koolaid:

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Just adding the Volquartsen hammer to the stock Ruger trigger group will give you an excellent trigger pull. It will be MUCH lighter than stock and only cost about $40.00.

~TK

Thanks for the impute..........I am sure the kids won't be able to tell the difference between just the hammer replacement and a whole new assembly.

Now I found this on Brownell's site that looked good for a fair price.....any thoughts?

RUGER® 10/22® DELUXE HAMMER/TRIGGER KIT - Brownells

For $75.00 didn't look to bad?

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the impute..........I am sure the kids won't be able to tell the difference between just the hammer replacement and a whole new assembly.

Now I found this on Brownell's site that looked good for a fair price.....any thoughts?

I have done both the Clark & Volquartsen [ hammer only ] and cannot tell the difference.

Here is the VQ hammer: 10/22® DROP-IN HAMMER - Brownells

~TK

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    agreed, just do the vq hammer. the rest of it is much more money spent for not much noticable gain.

typically the hammer install w/ a bit of polishing on all the other parts brings the trigger pull to below 4 pounds.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    10-22 Trigger??

I have an "Ole Boy" down in KY. that has done two of my 10-22 trigger assemblies. Very good work and very reasonable priced. I haven't talked to him for awhile ( A year or so), but PM me if you want any info??Bill.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    10/22 for kids

Another thing you might consider is a youth stock. The standard receiver/barrel will drop-in and you can go back to the full-size stock when the kids grow. There are 2 for sale on Gunbroker right now. GunBroker.com - Error Type in "youth stock" and select "Gun Parts" for a search.

I have a VQ carbon fiber .17 HM2 barrel on one of mine. Very light, very accurate, very spendy. I'm glad I have it but I wouldn't if I hadn't found it on sale.

"Only" 10/22! Does not compute!

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks for the help!!!

Well guys....just bought an old slightly use 10/22, metal barrel band, metal trigger group hammer and bolt show little use, wood at 90%. $150.00 out the door!!!....Not a GREAT deal but not a bad deal either. So it is time to start the build.........

Thanks for the impute on the new hammer....that is where I am starting....I have a carbon fiber barrel on Christmas list....keeping the fingers crossed I have been good this year:D......

Plan on hammer replacement then pattern it with the factory barrel....... would like to start the little ones out with iron sights!!!!!:rockwoot:

Make them work for their shooting abilities!!! I still feel it will make them better in the long run...that's how I started out and I have been cheating for to many years so this will be good for me also!!!:dunno:

I will keep you all informed as it progresses.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Progress report

Well here is where I stand.

VQ Hammer,
    VQ Bolt Buffer
    Adjustable stock for the girls.
    25 round mag for the girls:D
    16" SS GM Barrel.

The GM barrel will be removed and scope will be removed before the first trip out......they need to learn iron sights!!!

I am planning on doing some tinkering on the trigger group to suck out some of the over travel after the hammer break. I think I want the travel before just for safety sake right now. And am also planning on working on the trigger return spring to try and smooth it out.

2012-01-12_19-21-59_810.jpg

For some reason the wife is not sure I built this for the kids...:dunno:

Top Bottom