Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: Is no fwd assist on an AR-15 a deal breaker?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

User Info Menu

I always smack it just out of habit.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

User Info Menu

I have never used it on any of my AR's. I would not even think about trying to coerce a round into the chamber that didn't go freely. No means No!
    If your AR doesn't go back into battery after a check, then there might be something else wrong that should be investigated. I wouldn't trust mine and my families life to a rifle that needed assistance in chambering rounds.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

User Info Menu

If you fire your AR or M4 enough it gets dirty and dry it will at times require a push on the FA. If you don't plan on being in a prolonged battle and having your rifle running dry and or dirty you may not need one. I've used them many time throughout my life.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

I use one on a regular basis. I coyote hunt with a AR. When I get to my hunting area, I ease a round into the chamber with the charging handle, then ensure the bolt is closed with the FA. The AR I use for that usually closes the bolt on its own, but the one time it didn't was all it took for me learn that lesson. I could use the carrier cut out, but with gloved hands it isn't that easy. That was another lesson learned the hard way.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

Plinker

User Info Menu

8 years in the Army multiple deployments and a good deal of shooting and might have used it once. I have several ARs with them and without but regardless they never get used. Better to just clear the malfunction and move on.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johntheplinker View Post
    I use one on a regular basis. I coyote hunt with a AR. When I get to my hunting area, I ease a round into the chamber with the charging handle, then ensure the bolt is closed with the FA. The AR I use for that usually closes the bolt on its own, but the one time it didn't was all it took for me learn that lesson. I could use the carrier cut out, but with gloved hands it isn't that easy. That was another lesson learned the hard way.
    This^^ makes more sense to me though. I can see how it would come in handy for situations like this.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a cheap AR in 7.62x39 that use for steel cased plinking. I required the FA to close the bolt, so that I could clear a malfunction. The charging handle wouldn't budge on a half closed BCG.
    I could have probably pounded the charging handle to the rear but I was at a public range and didn't want to monkey around with a loaded rifle.

User Info Menu

If a round will not go willingly into the chamber I want to get it out as fast as possible and a new round in the chamber to replace it. Nothing good comes from stuffing a case into the chamber forcefully

User Info Menu

I use it any time I feel like I mistakenly rode the charging handle.

It's probably accomplishing nothing, but I don't feel like it's causing a problem being there. In all honesty I'd rather have it and not need it, since it's pretty easy to ignore.
    I know that's not the popular take of the day, but I think any firearm with a non-reciprocating charging handle should have some method to push the bolt forward. It sure would be nice to have on a G3/HK91 where it's a much bigger problem than it is on an AR. It's especially a problem there since there's no way to quietly close the bolt if you need to.
    I know in a military context, silently closing the bolt isn't really a big deal, but in a civilian context it is a massive advantage.

As far as using the dust cover cuts to push the bolt forward, that's nice if the gun is cool or if you have gloves on. If you don't, then you're going to have a bad day.
    Last edited by Tombs; 6 Days Ago at 20:15.
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

User Info Menu

I've noticed years ago a lot of guys would hit it after every mag change. It was out of habit. I wonder if some still do that.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast