• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is no fwd assist on an AR-15 a deal breaker?

• Total voters

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that if you need it only once in your entire life (need being used in its strict definition, i.e., a malfunction at the range does not constitute 'need') and don't have it that could be one time too many. Besides, it isn't like you have to pay rent on the thing.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I find that I use it to fully seat the bolt on occasion after checking the chamber, not sure how you could get the bolt to move forward without it? Besides mortaring the rifle against the ground, that seems worse than smacking the fa.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    - Chris Barrett

- Kyle Lamb

- Larry Vickers

- Rick Shuck

- James Jarrett

(All quotes taken from Guns & Ammo magazine)

US Army manual for dealing with malfunctions, both immediate action drill and remedial action. http://usacac.army.mil/sites/default/files/misc/doctrine/CDG/cdg_resources/manuals/fm/fm3_22x9.pdf

(Article in American Rifleman here: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/12/14/rifleman-qa-why-have-a-forward-assist/

(Which isn't totally true, it's possible, just not as quickly or conveniently. Go back to Lamb's comment, that's what he's referencing. A bolt you can get a purchase on with your thumb and shove home.)

Do whatever you like. I'll stick to FA equipped guns.

^^^^ QFT^^^^

My time in the army was in the 80's. Other than range trips, the only live ammo I saw was the day of the bombing of Libya.

I spent almost a year as an OPFOR aggressor, attacking the 5 company locations in my signal battalion. We went through a lot of blanks, and blanks are REALLY dirty. I used my forward assist quite a bit along with lots of lube. Face camo was not needed, it happens naturally after a couple hundred rounds.

Dirty guns malfunction, clean, well lubed guns shouldn't. I can't think of ever using a forward assist on live ammo, short of a press check, but I wouldn't own a gun without it.

I've caught hell on here for religiously cleaning my guns, but, again, clean well lubed guns generally don't malfunction without a reason. A clean gun is a fresh slate. Just my :twocents:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    What is a "basic civilian rifle"?

Eugene Stoner already had a forward assist on the AR. See the notch in the bolt carrier where your driving finger from your support hand goes like it was magic? Right, that's the forward assist.

Big Army wanted the external forward assist as all the cool kids had one and, when it comes to firearms, which are explosions in metal boxes in front of your faces, mashing is always the answer.

Stoner fought them tooth and nail. He lost as Big Army signs the contracts.

Stay off the Exploder, regardless of your occupation.

To answer your question, one that isn't being used wvery day. Non military. Cleaned regularly. Near the bed in case there's a bump in the night or shtf or zombies.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I know FA is an added"bonus." There's no negative to having one from what I've gathered. I just wanted to see who had actually had to use it. Had meaning to force battery.

thanks!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To answer your question, one that isn't being used wvery day. Non military. Cleaned regularly. Near the bed in case there's a bump in the night or shtf or zombies.
    I would take the advice of Lamb, Barrett, Vickers, et al, over that of a one horse town lawyer with an affinity for hanging out in court house men's rooms soliciting dates with the security officers?:):

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I would take the advice of Lamb, Barrett, Vickers, et al, over that of a one horse town lawyer with an affinity for hanging out in court house men's rooms soliciting dates with the security officers?:):

As with everything in life, I like to make my own conclusions.

I appreciate the feedback. I'll soon be owning a rifle w/no FA, so we'll see how it performs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is this an inside joke? What's the Exploder? I push the forward assist after press checks as well. Or are you talking about malfunctions?

Watch them slap the forward assist and watch the gun blow apart, like it was an explosion.

Mash that Exploder, 1, 2, 3, BOOM!=>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWygoxV_ApM

It's like that great Hoosier Eugene Stoner told us 55 years ago that his original forward assist was enough and Big Army's external forward assist would destroy guns.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

We have 2 horses now, thank you very much.

I would file a Freedom of Information request to prove this, but I am afraid of the bulls**t they will make up out of thin air to report me if I do.

And where I get my dates is none of your business. Don't make me claim special victim status!

Last edited:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Weight. Another thing to hang up the gun. Exploding the gun from a SPORTS kata drilled into one's young brain.

How much does a FA weigh? Can't be anywhere near 16oz.

I love the debate/opinions as believing w/o thinking or trying for yourself leads to idiocracy.

In the event of a Zombie apocalypse or equivalent, I'm not sure the ozs will matter.

Having not owned an AR before I was jc as to experienced opinions. In all likelihood I will not need to rely on this gun. So long as Trump behaves :hijack:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How much does a FA weigh? Can't be anywhere near 16oz.

I love the debate/opinions as believing w/o thinking or trying for yourself leads to idiocracy.

In the event of a Zombie apocalypse or equivalent, I'm not sure the ozs will matter.

Having not owned an AR before I was jc as to experienced opinions. In all likelihood I will not need to rely on this gun. So long as Trump behaves :hijack:

Hey, I just said it was a negative. Did not quantify the negative.:D

Yes, what you say is most true. But the way lays in training, not whether the weapon contains an Exploder or not.

Train until you are sick of training, then allow your software to select your hardware.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Hey, I just said it was a negative. Did not quantify the negative.:D

Yes, what you say is most true. But the way lays in training, not whether the weapon contains an Exploder or not.

Train until you are sick of training, then allow your software to select your hardware.

I work in IT, you just opened a can of worms :alcoholic:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    There is an old saying, "Don't **** in your own nest". Eugene Stoner was not aware of it.

You could use the power of your toilet to open and close your front door. The flush is pretty powerful, and that is energy we are wasting. The reason we don't? Nobody wants to clean the **** off the front door. It's messy! If you decide to try this at home, you might need a way to assist your door eventually, to close all the way. To much **** slows down the function, and will eventually not allow it to close all the way.

Read the early M16 literature about how it never needs cleaned. Good stuff!

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    There is an old saying, "Don't **** in your own nest". Eugene Stoner was not aware of it.

You could use the power of your toilet to open and close your front door. The flush is pretty powerful, and that is energy we are wasting. The reason we don't? Nobody wants to clean the **** off the front door. It's messy! If you decide to try this at home, you might need a way to assist your door eventually, to close all the way. To much **** slows down the function, and will eventually not allow it to close all the way.

Read the early M16 literature about how it never needs cleaned. Good stuff!

I don't get it...is this from personal experience or theorycrafting?

Top Bottom