Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Grandmaster Bigtanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mishawaka
    Posts
    11,521
    Quote Originally Posted by two70 View Post
    When talking about what bullets will be stabilized by a given twist rate it is not about the weight of the bullet as much as it is about the length of the bullet. Of course weight tends to go up as length increases but some bullet designs produce longer bullets for a given weight than others. The best bet is to try a bunch of different quality bullets and see what shoots the best for you. One thing I will caution you on, is that bullet weight is a poor substitute for tougher bullet construction. Plenty of deer have been killed with a wide variety of bullet types and bullet weights from .243s when everything goes right but when things don't go quite right you can save yourself a lot of headache and heartache by using a tougher bullet. A premium bonded, or better yet mono-metal bullet is cheap insurance.
    Thanks. I will only use a bonded or mono bullet. I had already decided that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    The N in INGO stands for knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    ***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 22999

  2. #22
    Grandmaster halfmileharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of Indy
    Posts
    9,394
    You'll have to find out what YOUR rifle likes. Take rifles off the assembly line side by side and they may prefer different ammo.
    My first choices have been Federal Premium, Fusion has been pretty fair, and Hornady. They seem to be consistent and seldom do any of these let me down.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

  3. #23
    Expert Sniper 79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,100
    My old Ruger M77 with 1-9 twist shoots 80-100grn real well. Wonderful cartridge the .243 is.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on.

  4. #24
    Plinker den57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Franklin, In
    Posts
    247
    My Remington .243 likes 95 grain Fusion. 1 - 9 1/8 twist
    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.

  5. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Madison county
    Posts
    4,473
    With the Rossi single shot I can not remember if it has just one or two forearm screws. Being a contender fan for years a nice little rubber washer or two under that firearm to somewhat free float the barrel might help your groups tighten. The sling swivel is a nice place for a bi pod also.

    When you you get it nice and broke in you will be surprised how fast one can reload and get off a second shot with a single shot rifle. Seldom needed as one good shot is really all it takes.

  6. #26
    Grandmaster Bigtanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mishawaka
    Posts
    11,521
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarriott View Post
    With the Rossi single shot I can not remember if it has just one or two forearm screws. Being a contender fan for years a nice little rubber washer or two under that firearm to somewhat free float the barrel might help your groups tighten. The sling swivel is a nice place for a bi pod also.

    When you you get it nice and broke in you will be surprised how fast one can reload and get off a second shot with a single shot rifle. Seldom needed as one good shot is really all it takes.
    It has one screw in the forend. It also doubles as a sling mount.

    This rifle was used when I recieved it. I just need more time behind the trigger. I've only put about 25 rounds through it so far. That makes it under 40 rounds I've ever shot from a non-AR, non rimfire rifle. Although I did do pretty dang good with 1911ly's AllenM 300 win mag build.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    The N in INGO stands for knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    ***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 22999

  7. #27
    Grandmaster oldpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Farmland
    Posts
    6,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    Thanks. I will only use a bonded or mono bullet. I had already decided that.
    Spot on
    It's worth it to spend a bit more on the ammo for maximizing bullet performance to bring your quarry down rapidly with a proper hit, both to recover the deer and to be ethical.
    Having a premium bonded or mono bullet will also greatly improve those odds with unusual angles or very short or longer distances.

  8. #28
    Grandmaster Double T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Huntington
    Posts
    5,710
    Finally found that my rifle is actually a 1:10 twist. Founds some old documents online, considering they discontinued the bull barrel model. That opens up my options a bit more for ammo. My stepdad bought a box of 100gr. that I'll try out to sight it in. Probably going to hit up SGammo for a variety of types to see what it prefers.

  9. #29
    Grandmaster Bigtanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mishawaka
    Posts
    11,521
    I tried out the 95 gr Federal Fusion today. No keyholes. I still need to work on my marksmanship though. Best I could do @ 100 yds was about 3 1/2". I was at the range with my family so I didn't dedicate a whole bunch of time to it. I'll try some more later.

    I did find the Hornady (?) Copper rounds at Big R. $38 for 20. Ouch. I'll see if I can do better with the Dusion first before buying them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    The N in INGO stands for knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    ***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 22999

  10. #30
    Grandmaster halfmileharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of Indy
    Posts
    9,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    I tried out the 95 gr Federal Fusion today. No keyholes. I still need to work on my marksmanship though. Best I could do @ 100 yds was about 3 1/2". I was at the range with my family so I didn't dedicate a whole bunch of time to it. I'll try some more later.

    I did find the Hornady (?) Copper rounds at Big R. $38 for 20. Ouch. I'll see if I can do better with the Dusion first before buying them.
    I like the Fusion for accuracy out of a box. They use premium bullets and consistency has been excellent.
    An improperly mounted scope can cause loose groups. I've got a couple of Bushnell scopes 4x12x40 AO and they hold excellent. I'm running Leupold rings and bases on one and Boch rings on Leupold base on the other.
    I get everything floated out even, tighten evenly, remove one screw at a time, blue Permatex thread locker medium #24200 and hand snug tight and evenly.
    I let the thread locker sit 24 hours before I mess with the rifle.
    I don't know if it's the best or proper way to do it but I haven't had to redo anything I've used this procedure on. It's working for me.

    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •