Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ratty Maadi

User Info Menu

Ratty Maadi

...recently fell in my lap. RML PARS 20" barrel. This thing is a gnarly beast. even the tacky gold trigger and polymer dragunov stock makes it look Egyptian/Russian hybrid thing lol. The front sight is cocked way left. I read some other forums...even saw a 4yr old post from Indykid on an AK forum (very cool). I need to clean this thing up a bit and figure out the front sight, get the barrel threaded, etc. First things first sometime this week i'll load up both mags i got with it and see how she runs. This should be fun.
    sauce will thicken upon standing

User Info Menu

gold trigger? oh you gotta post some pics!!
    RIFLEMAN

I love 'lovemywoods'' woods!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dat be pimpin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

User Info Menu

Clay fixed the front sight on my Maadi (no gold trigger though) at an AK build party 2 or 3 years ago. And vitaminK changed out my trigger. I guess for me it wasn't so much an AK build party as it was a "stand back and let people that know what they're doing work on your rifle" party.

User Info Menu

Thanks for looking up an old post of mine. Nice find! The RML is second only to the ARM in Maadi desirability, and the long barrel version is fairly rare in itself.

That looks like a Choate stock set. It was very popular way back when people wanted a longer length stock than the originals. While that was most likely put on by a previous owner, there was one Norinco importer that used them instead of the standard bush-hole stock set that came on the MAK-90 rifles.

The muzzle looks narrower than the barrel, is that just photo angle or is it really .500 instead of the normal .550?

Also, take the rifle out and shoot it before moving the front sight. It is possible it is off that far. Check the rear sight to make sure it is straight as a bent one would cause the owner to move the front that far to take care of the rear being non-adjustable. I have a Romanian SAR-2 that if you look at the front sight base and rear sight block, everything is straight but the front sight has to be full right to shoot to point of aim.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that info Indykid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Thanks for looking up an old post of mine. Nice find! The RML is second only to the ARM in Maadi desirability, and the long barrel version is fairly rare in itself.

That looks like a Choate stock set. It was very popular way back when people wanted a longer length stock than the originals. While that was most likely put on by a previous owner, there was one Norinco importer that used them instead of the standard bush-hole stock set that came on the MAK-90 rifles.

The muzzle looks narrower than the barrel, is that just photo angle or is it really .500 instead of the normal .550?

Also, take the rifle out and shoot it before moving the front sight. It is possible it is off that far. Check the rear sight to make sure it is straight as a bent one would cause the owner to move the front that far to take care of the rear being non-adjustable. I have a Romanian SAR-2 that if you look at the front sight base and rear sight block, everything is straight but the front sight has to be full right to shoot to point of aim.
    The muzzle is narrower than the barrel. I can see where the threads were removed (faint lines of former threads). I'll have to measure to see precisely how much is left of the muzzle

User Info Menu

.500" or so will allow you to thread it to the US standard 1/2x28RH. There are slant brakes made for that thread so you will be able to give it a more authentic look.

User Info Menu

I took the brittle, old "white line" pachmayr recoil pad off. It was Super-glued and screwed into the stock lol.
    I'm thinking since I have so little into this that I would like to at least get the threads and brake and a wood stock set (fitment worries me a little but to me it doesn't have to be perfect) with maybe a plum pistol grip and green nylon sling. How hard will this be...and how much will it set me back? 😎

Also, any idea what this symbol means?

Last edited by Tyler-The-Piker; 04-11-2018 at 11:19.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast