Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Need INGO info dump on Marlin 336C in .30-30

So, a family member acquired an early Christmas present in the form of a Marlin 336C in .30-30. Regarded as the family gun guy, I had to fake my way through some questions/answers, because I don't know diddly about lever guns.

Got the SN and did the lookup thing and it apparently has a 1981 manufacture date. From what I can tell, it is in 99%+ condition. Supposedly, it had a box of ammo through it when it was purchased in the 1980s, but has been well-maintained since then. No scratches or dings or anything. It does not have any sort of obvious safety like a button or anything. No scope, but apparently it is tapped for a scope base.

I'll be able to take a better look at it later in the week. Did some research on field stripping it, and basically it looks like taking out the lever screw then trying real hard not to lose the ejector.

Basically, though, I need INGO to help me out for when more questions need answered!
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Older lever actions use the half cock notch as a "safety" if you want to call it that. Like 100 years of Winchester before them. 1981 would put this in the Marlin manufacturing before the buy out by Remington. The 336 in this era will have Microgroove rifling, which while fine with jacketed bullets can be an issue with cast lead. A fine reliable rifle, you will get years of service out of it and the 30-30 is an excellent cartridge for deer hunting at woods ranges.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Thanks, Leadeye!

Here's an odd question... is there a way to unload it that doesn't include working the lever, which cocks the hammer?

Personally, I have other old guns that relied more on the "keep your finger off the trigger and the gun pointed in a safe direction" kind of safety, so I'm down with that. Just wondering if there's a different technique.

That was a different time... even the early 80s.

User Info Menu

You can get the cartridges out without working the lever, but it tough and requires tools. Hold the hammer down with your thumb for additional safety when you work the lever. I've done this on old Winchesters that had "questionable" hammer notches and I was afraid might follow the bolt.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Ah, hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

It just occurred to me that the action is similar to (at least with respect to the bolt/hammer interaction) the Winchester 1897 shotgun (1930s vintage) that I have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Ah, hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

It just occurred to me that the action is similar to (at least with respect to the bolt/hammer interaction) the Winchester 1897 shotgun (1930s vintage) that I have.
    You can get the shells out of a 1897 Winchester magazine by depressing the shell stops with your fingernail as it's easy to reach. Another fine gun from days past.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Interesting!

Also, in looking at the 336, it doesn't appear to have the studs for a sling. The stock is awfully pretty, so I'm wondering how/whether to do a sling for some hunting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Interesting!

Also, in looking at the 336, it doesn't appear to have the studs for a sling. The stock is awfully pretty, so I'm wondering how/whether to do a sling for some hunting.
    I have the same thing with a nice sling, I'll post a pic this evening.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Cool. Looking forward to it.

In doing some research, it looks like there's a kind of mag tube clamp that has the sling stud, then you can do a stock wrap thing with a ring for the other end of the sling. That is appealing because the wood on this rifle looks to be good quality. It has the little bullseye thing which apparently means its walnut?

User Info Menu

I've seen those sling set ups and they are nice. Here's how mine is set up.

I don't know your age, but if you're old like me (63) and don't want to put a scope on it, a Marbles tang peep sight is worth it's weight in gold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marvin the Martian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast