• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 336 aint a bad looking gun. A 2-7x might look balanced on one.

A big 3-9x, esp in see throughs....while common......is not good looking. It also fails in tje usage department.

Yet they remain popular in some areas.

I do not take anybody seriously, that runs such equipment. My buddy got three 760s frocm rifle popular deer states, and they all came w that crap on em.

None wears that junk now.

I guess if people have big tracts of private land and unlimited hunting time, they can narrow their shot opportunities by equipment handicap.

Bet such setups will cost them from time to time, maybe on dandy bucks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not saying see throughs and bigger/ higher mag scopes wont work. Am saying some stuff will work better. Esp when testing is a bit varied.

Deer hunters use em.

Riflemen that deer hunt do not

Whichever camp one chooses to join

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow, dude, you're on a roll! :)

Not sure what kind of accessories, if any, this rifle will get. Whatever they are, they almost certainly won't be permanent. So, if one falls out of favor or doesn't resolve whatever practical or aesthetic issue it was intended to solve, it will be removed or replaced. That is truly a great thing about the current era - we have many options.

Thank you for your perspective.

It also occurred to me that with the Marlin 336, Winchester 1897, and Ruger Blackhawk, that's almost a cowboy action shooting 3-gun entry. :) (Wrong caliber for 2 of them, but it was kinda funny to think about.)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guy showed me today where one custom place actually scallops the receiver for the eyebell, mounts a scope that low.
    Thought it was Grizzly Custom but didn't see it there.

mlockhart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Noblesville IN
    New sights

I found a JM 336 not long ago (1979 build date by S/N) and today I finally got my MidwayUSA order with a new rear band with sling stud. I’ll add the rear sling mount also. For sights (buck horns aren’t for me) XS sight rail I’ll probably just use the peeps but I wanted the option to mount a scope or red dot. The XS was expensive ($162.00) but any other set up I looked at would have to come off to mount a optic later. I had the Williams peep sight ($45.00 I think) in the cart for a while but switched to what I really wanted.

Attachments

• 55798E9D-BD54-470D-9F87-29AFA3F10773.jpg
      55798E9D-BD54-470D-9F87-29AFA3F10773.jpg
      120.8 KB · Views: 5
    • E3F864B1-F66C-440C-89E6-CAB6E62132AC.jpg
      E3F864B1-F66C-440C-89E6-CAB6E62132AC.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 8
    • D1DF1D29-C458-46CC-80AA-B08CD1F7A1E9.jpg
      D1DF1D29-C458-46CC-80AA-B08CD1F7A1E9.jpg
      104.6 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I found a JM 336 not long ago (1979 build date by S/N) and today I finally got my MidwayUSA order with a new rear band with sling stud. I’ll add the rear sling mount also. For sights (buck horns aren’t for me) XS sight rail I’ll probably just use the peeps but I wanted the option to mount a scope or red dot. The XS was expensive ($162.00) but any other set up I looked at would have to come off to mount a optic later. I had the Williams peep sight ($45.00 I think) in the cart for a while but switched to what I really wanted.

Let me know how difficult it is to do the rear band sling stud thing. Some of the stuff I read made it sound tricky. Or are you taking off the front sight anyway?

That XS rail looks like a great solution.

mlockhart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Noblesville IN
    I added some photos to the original post (first time)
    the rear band did require removing the front sight which I was doing anyway, Hood removal and 2 screws. Front band 1 Screw, found some grime and a little corrosion under the front hand guard (glad I was in there) the rear band was a tight fit but not bad. The XS sight took a little filing to fit. Maybe an hour without my phone ringing. I’m glad I didn’t mount the sling on the ammo tube it’s not that sturdy.

mlockhart

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Noblesville IN
    I’ve added the XS sight rail and front sling swivel band. Now where is the proper place to install the rear stud? Does somebody have a 336 with a factory sling mounts and could measure the rear stud position ? Thanks

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Good on you for asking :)
    Because a lot of people don't and put them in less than ideal spots.
    Really screws up the gun IMHO

I'd copy a factory rifle.
    Or copy some other production rig that looks good to you.

Midway guy says 2.5"

[video=youtube;ApivzXV0Z2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApivzXV0Z2I[/video]

Gotta watch out for pad/buttplate screws. Would not go less than 2" from butt.
    Watched a hunting video w some guys grandpa's old rifle.
    Gramps had the stud about an inch ahead of buttplate.
    Shame, the old rifle looked like crap with it there.

Have seen some nice stocks screwed up w silly placement location, and or wrong angle.
    Old Rem 742 and 760 seem to be cursed with such.
    Some had nice stocks too (good figure, not dinged up)..........except for a totally botched stud install.
    IMHO that ruins the stock and with replacements at 150 bucks or so, yeah.............drops the value of the the gun that much.
    Seriously...........450 dollar old rifle w a botched stud, would not pay over 300.
    Because I'd have to change it out LOL (no I really don't have OCD..........but like my stuff right).

Another article on install and location

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/gunsmithing_rsgunsmith5/83553

Last edited:
    Top Bottom