• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    How many here are training (at least sometimes) for a major event like if things go horribly wrong? Do you think about what you'd do if you were somewhere, and some A-hole active shooter started some crap? Do you think about the proverbial SHTF like event? I spent 28 years in uniform, and deployed to war 3 times before I got blowed up, and retired. However, I still think about (worry about) if things here, would get as bad as things there.

Do you all have a combat loadout? Do you know your area and have maps of it? Have you practiced any survival type skills? Not trying to be a doomsday prepper here, just wondering if people are covering all the bases... The way it's looking, the state of VA may soon be in turmoil... I still train. Not as much as I'd like to, but I do. I'm also not anywhere as good, or quick as I was now at my age, and with my injuries, but that too is a thing to train for. How to get around limitations.

All day, every day, I'm packing, but a carry gun is what you have when you can't walk around with something more effective. Something bigger, and more powerful. When I travel I don't want to carry a lot, but I do worry about if things should kick off. What if it does when I'm away from home... and my good guns? Probably won't ever happen to me again, but I may need a better weapon one day, should something kick off. I tent to take an AR and at least a small loadout with me when I travel. Now, since the likelyhood of me actually needing it is so slight, the only thing I carry extra is the weapon, and the ammo to go with it. No huge bug-out-bag. However, I do have a small "get home" bag.

This is something like I would carry in my vehicle when traveling. NO, I don't leave any firearm in the vehicle.

Warbelt, and AR pistol is all I really need for anything. (I hope) Just a fighting set up to allow me to get out of a messy situation, and get home safe, not to live on for weeks at a time.

This is an old Blackhawk belt. Yes I'd like something a bit more stable, but it works so I still have it. Same goes for the ITW Fastmags. I'd rather have something like the Tacos, but these work well enough for me at the present. I'm not gonna be doing any super high speed crap, at my age, and with my injuries, so retention is good enough, and the way I grunt and grown when I move, I'm not gonna be silent anyhow... lol. Absolutely love the ALS system. It's good and secure, quick to access, and I got their quick detach parts so I can sawp out holsters, or even mount one in the Jeep. It's on an ancient Blackhawk drop leg system I modified. Now it's directly on the belt, but with one leg strap on the bottom.

Weapons are Vickers Edition Glock 17 with TLR1, (my carry gun) and a 10.3" DD AR pistol in 5.56. (New... replaces my .300 Blackout.) "New" also means I need to train more with it. The small warbelt, and folding stock pistol easily fit in bags that don't scream "gun".

8OSt6fz.jpg

I have a D3CRX Heavy and Flatpack Plus I can add if I'm real worried about getting into a mess. That gives me 4 more AR mags, 2 more for the G17, and some room for other goodies. It typically stays at home. Let's face it, if I'm that worried, I'll be traveling away from home a lot less. I like the heavy, because I can use it with this, my .300 Blackout, or my 7.62. Also I like the pouch layout, especially the big pouches in front, that serve as IFAK, and carry my Steiner 7x30 binos. I'm big of gathering intel.

jLNAvnD.jpg

Sorry the flatpack plus isn't in the photo. That's pretty much my "get home" bag, so it does stay in the vehicle.

Share your thoughts on preparedness. Let's see your loadouts. How, if at all, do you ready yourself for something real bad?

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I have a few setups I've run with over the years, but finally settled on the Wilder Tactical belt system. Been running it since the summer. Also use the tennis sleeve and a old fashioned bandolier for travel with the AK. Photos coming once I get out of work. I always have a rifle and pistol on me unless I'm working, just gotten used to tucking them in with my essentials when travelling.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have several different setups, depending on what I’m doing. My Low Vis rig is a Unity Tactical Clutch belt with two pistol, two rifle, a TQ, IBD, and knife. It conceals under a loose shirt, and rolls up into a 13ish inch circle so it can be stashed in a smallish duffel. I also have a D3CRX and standard Flatpack I wear over a slick PC with Paraclete LVL IV plates and an ACH with PVS-14 for serious social work. I’m still running a BCM 16” ELW mid length, but am looking into building an MK18 pistol w/ SBA3 and possibly another LAW. With the PC, I’m using a Grey Ghost Gear UGF Battle Belt, Safariland RDS holster, 2 pistol, 1 rifle, TQ, BOK, and knife. A Pelican 1610 is secured in the Jeep most days with on or another of these setups locked away. Other days, just a G19 and a couple spare mags, and a couple three knives.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My GHB has a spare pistol with spare mags in it as well as too much other junk beyond first aid. I need to ween it down a bit. I always have my EDC and spare mag on me as well. Knife clipped to pocket and then spares in the truck and GHB.

Have a IIIa vest sandwiched in the folded up seat in back. Thought about putting hard plates in it, but still on the fence. I did just build another rifle that I have tucked in there with spare mags. Have yet to vet it tho as I just got it put together. Plan to hit the range this week.

The rifle is in a case. I figured if I had to pull it out the SHTF scenario would already be in play. I thought about trying to get a backpack or similar set up to 'hide' it while moving around, but have not found anything. I have a new 5.56 pistol lower I could use and put a smaller barrel on it, but until I get some way to conceal while outside the vehicle I don't see the need.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been out of uncle sam's army for a long time, and my time there wasn't very long to begin with anyway. It's been about 18 years since I went to basic, 16 years I studied abroad for a semester in the sandbox, and I've seen chiropractors more than once since. I'm not a young stud and never was in my best day, but that doesn't mean I'm all washed up and dead yet either. My oath has yet to expire.

I look at this worst case scenario in layers, and I think it helps me work through the process to do it that way.

Layer 1: A wise man once said "all you truely own is whatever you can carry while running for your life and not get caught". My EDC is on my body every day, any gear beyond that is just a bonus. Every EDC becomes the equivalent of the 45acp liberator pistols dropped in during WW2 meaning you may be able to get something bigger from an enemy combatant if you needed to.

Layer 2: I do keep guns in my car, and a get home bag with minimal stuff in it. If it gets stolen, that sucks, but I've still got my EDC on my body. I look at my vehicle as a small selection of gear that I may or may not decide to take with me on a long walk/jog/run home. For example, I would select different things from it depending how far away from home that I am and what time of year it is and what the weather is like that day. Winter, 40 miles away from home, snow in the forecast and starting at 8:30pm would lead to different choices than summer, 12 miles from home and it's 8am without a cloud in the sky. In my jeep I'm going to mount a lock box to secure a rifle. I haven't had a rifle in my vehicle in too long, only an additional sidearm with spare mags.

Layer 3: Home, this is my permanent base camp. This is where equipment weights don't matter and where firewood is stacked up. This is where the nods, plate carrier, and other goodies are at.

I follow the stuff happening in VA and I agree that times look shaky. I've always appreciated the old saying, "it's easy to talk young men into going to war and it's much harder to talk old men into going back". I think as old men we have a duty to look these young agitated bucks in the eyes and explain why they don't want this thing to go hot. With all my heart I hope and pray we continue with talking and peaceful discussions however passionate those discussions get.

I do take the reality of the situation seriously though, and I do have a group of friends who I could band together with in hard times. I don't think it's going to come to that, and if it does I wouldn't be surprised if whoever lives through it lives in a country with a new flag and certainly a new currency. The stuff in VA scares me, but I think it will pass.

As far as pictures of loadouts, here's a few of mine from the past:
    Old vehicle bag bundled up:
    TO9ysE3.jpg

Old vehicle bag all laid out:
    5mLknFR.jpg

Current vehicle bag:
    LYvYHi1.jpg

Current all laid out:
    TJzbyLz.jpg

All I'd change in my current bag is that I really don't like my bag being multicam. I love the pack because it forces me to be very minimal, but I don't like that it stands out. If the hiddenwoodsmen makes the day scout pack again in more subtle colors I'll make that change. Most of my loadouts follow the Dave Canterbury 10C lists, but focus on the first 5C's. Cutting, Combustion, Container, Cordage, and Cover.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I cant justify almost $600 for a case of defensive ammo. I also dont want to be stuck in the position of sitting on thousands of rounds of ball ammo for self defense. While I wont use it for EDC (I can afford 50 at a time for factory)I'm starting to load up some hot 147 JHPs. I cant justify $600 for something that is more likely NOT to happen, but I can justify $150 in parts. And if it never comes, I've still spent less than a case of factory ammo.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't carry a gun (don't live in the land of the free) but I do carry a trauma kit, both on and off duty.

Having a tourniquet might be more important than having a gun.Especially when there's no bad guy to shoot (Boston bombing, car accident etc ).

Of course if you're carrying a gun you should also carry a tourniquet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't carry a gun (don't live in the land of the free) but I do carry a trauma kit, both on and off duty.

Having a tourniquet might be more important than having a gun.Especially when there's no bad guy to shoot (Boston bombing, car accident etc ).

Of course if you're carrying a gun you should also carry a tourniquet.

And space blankets. Cheap (less than a dollar per when bought in 10 packs or higher.) and they pack tiny. I have at least 3 in my glove box, 2 in my go bag, etc.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And space blankets. Cheap (less than a dollar per when bought in 10 packs or higher.) and they pack tiny. I have at least 3 in my glove box, 2 in my go bag, etc.

I have several in my medical bag that I keep in the car.Plus a few non-space (normal "earth blanket"?).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont forget to inspect your kit regularly. Some things are perishable and we dont realize it. Like batteries. Especially run of the mill Alkaline batteries. All of mine were dead, and the ones in my headlamp leaked. (I forgot to check mine.)

Also the disposable handwarmers that heat up when you expose them to oxygen. I've found they dont work well after the first year. Not at all (at least not enough to be useful) after 2. Even sealed in a plastic dry box (the kind you'd put a cell phone in) to keep them from being ripped or punctured. Still dead. :( I had hoped the dry box would help but it didnt.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    My GHB has a spare pistol with spare mags in it as well as too much other junk beyond first aid. I need to ween it down a bit. I always have my EDC and spare mag on me as well. Knife clipped to pocket and then spares in the truck and GHB.

Have a IIIa vest sandwiched in the folded up seat in back. Thought about putting hard plates in it, but still on the fence. I did just build another rifle that I have tucked in there with spare mags. Have yet to vet it tho as I just got it put together. Plan to hit the range this week.

The rifle is in a case. I figured if I had to pull it out the SHTF scenario would already be in play. I thought about trying to get a backpack or similar set up to 'hide' it while moving around, but have not found anything. I have a new 5.56 pistol lower I could use and put a smaller barrel on it, but until I get some way to conceal while outside the vehicle I don't see the need.
    Get a camping chair bag to conceal an AR pistol. It might look odd to be carrying one, but most would probably not think twice.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Get a camping chair bag to conceal an AR pistol. It might look odd to be carrying one, but most would probably not think twice.
    I have a couple of those sitting idle. Will see what it looks like stuffed with an evil black gun.

RE Factor Tactical ASO bag.

Those look real nice. I could see myself easily over packing. I suffer from if there's room fill it syndrome.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have a couple of those sitting idle. Will see what it looks like stuffed with an evil black gun.

I actually had my wife sew one from scratch, so it would be nice and strong. I had her put a zipper in it, so it can be opened quickly. I stuffed a t-shirt in the bottom to make it rounder on the bottom, rather than being kind of form fitting to the buttstock.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Those look real nice. I could see myself easily over packing. I suffer from if there's room fill it syndrome.
    Thats what’s great about the ASO, it’s only big enough for necessities, fighting gear and med gear.

Top Bottom