• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Looking for recommendations for Walkie Talkies.

We've had four pairs of Midland walkies ($70/set at Amazon) over the past 15 months. We use them daily, not recreational use, and five of the eight of the Midway comms have stopped functioning. They get dropped, they fall off quads, they get covered in mud and washed off. They fall in the water. You get the point. We send them back for replacement but I think they're getting smart to the use they get.

The issue is we need something lighter and small as they're carried most all day long, i.e., not a full size 'cell phone from the 80's' style.' Solar charging options a plus.

Looking for recommendations from experience, not just website reviews.

Thanks.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For FRS/GMRS i use motorola "water proof" ht's. They've held up better than most for me. These days I use Yaesu 2m HT's when my group has enough hams.

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    Our prep/disaster group bought into the Baofeng UV5R radio's and one of our guys set up all the presets for them. So far they have been solid little radios for not a lot of cash. NOT waterproof though. They are on Amazon, I think the have a newer version now that goes up to 8 watts for the guy with the HAM license.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Our prep/disaster group bought into the Baofeng UV5R radio's and one of our guys set up all the presets for them. So far they have been solid little radios for not a lot of cash. NOT waterproof though. They are on Amazon, I think the have a newer version now that goes up to 8 watts for the guy with the HAM license.

No they dont. A guy tested them and they max out at just about 6 watts. (yes, they claim 8, but its cheap Chinese electronics) I fell for it too. Took my 5Rs on vacation to our regular spot and barely made contact between the cottage and the docks. 1.3 miles total. So I assumed a couple more watts and I'd be set. Nope. Couldnt make contact at all that year, I assume because the receivers on those are not quite as sensitive. I was running the same antennas, so it was purely the radios. I wouldnt waste money on the 8HPs and stick with the 5Rs. (assuming you are licensed)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

No they dont. A guy tested them and they max out at just about 6 watts. (yes, they claim 8, but its cheap Chinese electronics) I fell for it too. Took my 5Rs on vacation to our regular spot and barely made contact between the cottage and the docks. 1.3 miles total. So I assumed a couple more watts and I'd be set. Nope. Couldnt make contact at all that year, I assume because the receivers on those are not quite as sensitive. I was running the same antennas, so it was purely the radios. I wouldnt waste money on the 8HPs and stick with the 5Rs. (assuming you are licensed)
    Both of your posts could be interpreted to mean that you can use the 5 watt without a license, so just wanted to clarify that you could not, legally, in case someone might read that in.

Cameramonkey, to anecdotally back up what you were saying about the new UV5R, I just saw a nice package deal with a remote mic, long whip antenna and two batteries for $45 and jumped on it. I just succeeded to get the BFF8HP I've had for a while programmed (along with the new one) and checked in to a net on Sunday night, I could not get the new one to work very well even with the longer antenna. The BFF8HP was OK.

I believe the BFF8HP is truly 8 watts, and about $20 more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are correct. Those radios are not type 90 certified. Minor rule violation and doesnt hurt anyone so long as all other things are within scope (you keep it under 5, only on GMRS, buy the GMRS license, etc) I liken it to .gov saying we cant possess alcohol because we COULD drink and drive; No actual harm all things considered. (it wont get 90 certified only because it COULD be used on other frequencies and violate other regs)

But yes, Caveat Emptor... Its still techincally illegal.

I've seen actual testing, and they dont hit the output power. Technically neither do the 5Rs either, but they are far closer to advertised than the 8HP (4-4.5 and 6, respectively). Both have been tested with meters and show they are weaker than advertised.

And dont get me started on the 888s. The specs advertise "<5w" Just glancing you'd think its a 5w radio. nope. only 2 on high and .5 on low. And amazon sellers everywhere miss the less than symbol as well and advertise them as 5W radios. Though for the money, the 888s are great, and almost disposable (as low as $10 ea if you find them on sale in larger packs)

Dont get me wrong, they are all nice radios for the money. Just be very careful because especially the 5Rs have crap harmonics and can interfere where you dont expect it to. There is a ham here in indy that showed he could transmit on one frequency, and it would key up a repeater on another band/frequency. Oops. Ok, enough of an off into the weeds rant. Back to your regularly scheduled GMRS discussion... :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While investigating what appears to be a fake radio* (UVF9), I ran across this model. it does have the part90 cert so it would appear to be legal to use in GMRS. But NOT FRS only channels because it has a detachable antenna. FRS radios must have a fixed antenna.

https://baofengtech.com/uv-82c

*Its real, but not listed on the US importer website because its repackaged guts with a new number to trick people into upgrading.

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I couldn't help myself...

f89dcf207fc7a4249c1ad798327647fe9f772d0dafc72b9774a36a2e5e205951_1.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Is it correct to believe due to the bands on these Baofengs if one does not have exemption, they could suffer serious consequence if found in a motor vehicle?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it correct to believe due to the bands on these Baofengs if one does not have exemption, they could suffer serious consequence if found in a motor vehicle?

if you were talking about the law that you cannot operate a scanner in a motor vehicle unless you are a ham operator, that dog won’t hunt. Mere possession of these radios by a non-licensed individual would not justify an arrest or ticket.

Besides none of these radios will operate on the Trunked frequencies that police agencies are using today.

And since the law says operating a scanner, even if you were in possession of the scanner but not operating it, that would not be illegal.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Ffs getting your ham tech license is easy as hell.
    Yeasu has a newish radio the FT-4XR. 5 watts of power and small enough to carry with out issue.
    I've seen good reviews on them just haven't picked one up yet.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You are correct. Those radios are not type 90 certified. Minor rule violation and doesnt hurt anyone so long as all other things are within scope (you keep it under 5, only on GMRS, buy the GMRS license, etc) I liken it to .gov saying we cant possess alcohol because we COULD drink and drive; No actual harm all things considered. (it wont get 90 certified only because it COULD be used on other frequencies and violate other regs)

But yes, Caveat Emptor... Its still techincally illegal.

I've seen actual testing, and they dont hit the output power. Technically neither do the 5Rs either, but they are far closer to advertised than the 8HP (4-4.5 and 6, respectively). Both have been tested with meters and show they are weaker than advertised.

And dont get me started on the 888s. The specs advertise "<5w" Just glancing you'd think its a 5w radio. nope. only 2 on high and .5 on low. And amazon sellers everywhere miss the less than symbol as well and advertise them as 5W radios. Though for the money, the 888s are great, and almost disposable (as low as $10 ea if you find them on sale in larger packs)

Dont get me wrong, they are all nice radios for the money. Just be very careful because especially the 5Rs have crap harmonics and can interfere where you dont expect it to. There is a ham here in indy that showed he could transmit on one frequency, and it would key up a repeater on another band/frequency. Oops. Ok, enough of an off into the weeds rant. Back to your regularly scheduled GMRS discussion... :):
    Sorry, I missed that this was just a discussion about GMRS, my bad.
    Didn't know what 90 certified was and in researching it, it makes owning baofengs almost as scary as owning scary black rifles, I might already be a criminal just by owing one. Lots of hype I'm sure.
    The baofeng has led to a lot of frustration in learning the HAM thing, and I have always wondered if I should have just buyed once cried once with a Kenwood or something. But there I go, leading you off in the weeds again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is a realistic range for a 40 watt or 50 watt vehicle mounted GMRS like a Midland MXT400 or BTECH GMRS-50X1? I’m somewhat new to the whole GMRS concept. Would whatever range a 40 watt system be capable of only have that range for another 40 watt system or would that range work with smaller 5 watt handheld units? I’d like to have something in the truck that could extend out 10 miles if that’s possible when communicating with handhelds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, I missed that this was just a discussion about GMRS, my bad.
    Didn't know what 90 certified was and in researching it, it makes owning baofengs almost as scary as owning scary black rifles, I might already be a criminal just by owing one. Lots of hype I'm sure.
    The baofeng has led to a lot of frustration in learning the HAM thing, and I have always wondered if I should have just buyed once cried once with a Kenwood or something. But there I go, leading you off in the weeds again.

Dont sweat it. A lot of people make a lot of hay over a stupid administrative rule that has no practicality when it is "abused". Hell, most people that buy the clamshell GMRS' dont even apply for the license, which is also required to be legal. The license requires no test, just writing a check to the FCC. Nothing like buying back the airwaves that should be free. After paying, you arent granted exclusive rights to a channel, area, etc like a business class radio. Its just a lame ass money grab by the FCC. In most other FCC licensing schemes, if you are licensed and somebody is interfering with you, the FCC will step up and stop the other party. In GMRS, just like in the unlicensed spectrums, if the other party is also licensed for GMRS, the FCC wont do squat because you are both licensed. They expect you to work it out just like if it were an unlicensed part of the spectrum. In that case, explain again why I need to pay for the GMRS license?

And if you program a Baofeng radio properly, nobody is going to know you arent running a clamshell Midland, Cobra, etc retail radio just by listening. People do it daily. Is it illegal? Sure. Is it harming anyone? No. Well, it only harms the FCC because you deprived them of license revenue and retail radio makers because you didnt buy their overpriced toys. IMHO for something to be illegal, there must be a victim for the law to be valid. Outside of the FCC not getting their cut, there is no victim when these radios are programmed and also used responsibly within the parameters of GMRS.

And buy once cry once isnt a bad idea in the HAM radio field. Kenwood, Yaesu, etc are all FAR superior to the relative cheap chinese junk that are Baofengs. I choose the BF route because Im on a limited budget and wont cry if I kick my $30 radio off the dock and into the drink. I'll DEFINITELY cry if it is a $300+ handheld.

What is a realistic range for a 40 watt or 50 watt vehicle mounted GMRS like a Midland MXT400 or BTECH GMRS-50X1? I’m somewhat new to the whole GMRS concept. Would whatever range a 40 watt system be capable of only have that range for another 40 watt system or would that range work with smaller 5 watt handheld units? I’d like to have something in the truck that could extend out 10 miles if that’s possible when communicating with handhelds.

There is no set distance. Too many factors including atmospheric conditions, antenna type, terrain, frequency, receiver quality/sensitivity, etc. Thats the equivalent of asking "How far will a bullet travel?" Are we talking a 22 short or 16" guns on a battleship? :):

And you mentioned talking to handhelds with the mobile radio. Unless that handheld is also a 40 or 50 watt unit, they'll be able to hear you, but you cant hear them. At 5 watts with a sensitive reciever, I dont get much above 2 miles even in a relatively flat area with just some fields and trees between me and the other party.

Also you'll notice nobody in the GMRS business advertises wattage except for high powered mobile/base units. They express the power in talk distance. Understand that is absolutely literal line of sight distance, not real world. So when you see 36 miles, that doesnt mean from your house to your office over hills and through trees and buildings. That means from your position in a field in the foothills in Colorado, to your buddy's position halfway up to the summit on the nearest mountain where you two have theoretical line of sight. So that 36 mile radio in the city might get you a mile or two in suburbia.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Looking for recommendations for Walkie Talkies.

We've had four pairs of Midland walkies ($70/set at Amazon) over the past 15 months. We use them daily, not recreational use, and five of the eight of the Midway comms have stopped functioning. They get dropped, they fall off quads, they get covered in mud and washed off. They fall in the water. You get the point. We send them back for replacement but I think they're getting smart to the use they get.

The issue is we need something lighter and small as they're carried most all day long, i.e., not a full size 'cell phone from the 80's' style.' Solar charging options a plus.

Looking for recommendations from experience, not just website reviews.

Thanks.

I can’t provide first hand experience with these, but they may just fit the bill perfectly:

https://rockytalkie.com/products/rocky-talkie?variant=32026349895785

Does anyone have any input on these?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I can’t provide first hand experience with these, but they may just fit the bill perfectly:

https://rockytalkie.com/products/rocky-talkie?variant=32026349895785

Does anyone have any input on these?

Wow. Salty. $150/pair? Ouch. But I guess if they really can go for days without a recharge due to expensive lithium batteries and you have no choice...

But definitely overkill for the average person who can swap AAs or drop it in a charger for a couple hours every day/evening.

And notice they are only rated at 25m (max is typically 36). So they arent even running at max transmit power.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    /\ Yeah, I think that price is a little salty too, especially for a FRS radio. What I did like about them is their simplicity and apparent ruggedness. They looked like they might fit the bill for Azgerian’s needs on the four wheelers and such.

Personally I like a good Baofeng maxed out...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have 8 of these. I use them once a year when we set up for the RV Show in the Fort Wayne Coliseum. I hand them out to my sales guys so they can reach me at anytime, they work great. I bought mine on E-Bay for probably half of this price.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Consumer-Radios-MH230R-Talkabout/dp/B001UE6MIO

Thats stupid expensive for those. I wonder if this is panic related? Hell, I'm seeing 23c packs of Top Ramen going for $7 on amazon. Not 7 bucks a case, EACH.

Top Bottom