• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    What kind of range do you see from them?

I have probably not gone over 1.5 to 2 miles, not sure what the max is. Of course this was on 75 over in Ohio north of Dayton. Not much out there and totally flat.

In my opinion they are really nice, I never have had an issue with them. I do recommend them.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    What is a realistic range for a 40 watt or 50 watt vehicle mounted GMRS like a Midland MXT400 or BTECH GMRS-50X1? I’m somewhat new to the whole GMRS concept. Would whatever range a 40 watt system be capable of only have that range for another 40 watt system or would that range work with smaller 5 watt handheld units? I’d like to have something in the truck that could extend out 10 miles if that’s possible when communicating with handhelds.

[h=2]§95.1767 GMRS transmitting power limits.[/h][FONT=&quot]This section contains transmitting power limits for GMRS stations. The maximum transmitting power depends on which channels are being used and the type of station.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](a) 462/467 MHz main channels. The limits in this paragraph apply to stations transmitting on any of the 462 MHz main channels or any of the 467 MHz main channels. Each GMRS transmitter type must be capable of operating within the allowable power range. GMRS licensees are responsible for ensuring that their GMRS stations operate in compliance with these limits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](1) The transmitter output power of mobile, repeater and base stations must not exceed 50 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](2) The transmitter output power of fixed stations must not exceed 15 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](b) 462 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of mobile, hand-held portable and base stations transmitting on the 462 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 5 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](c) 467 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of hand-held portable units transmitting on the 467 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 0.5 Watt. Each GMRS transmitter type capable of transmitting on these channels must be designed such that the ERP does not exceed 0.5 Watt.[/FONT]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    §95.1767 GMRS transmitting power limits.

[FONT=&amp]This section contains transmitting power limits for GMRS stations. The maximum transmitting power depends on which channels are being used and the type of station.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](a) 462/467 MHz main channels. The limits in this paragraph apply to stations transmitting on any of the 462 MHz main channels or any of the 467 MHz main channels. Each GMRS transmitter type must be capable of operating within the allowable power range. GMRS licensees are responsible for ensuring that their GMRS stations operate in compliance with these limits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) The transmitter output power of mobile, repeater and base stations must not exceed 50 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) The transmitter output power of fixed stations must not exceed 15 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](b) 462 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of mobile, hand-held portable and base stations transmitting on the 462 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 5 Watts.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](c) 467 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of hand-held portable units transmitting on the 467 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 0.5 Watt. Each GMRS transmitter type capable of transmitting on these channels must be designed such that the ERP does not exceed 0.5 Watt.[/FONT]

At this rate, those rules are going RIGHT out the window. LOL

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    I'm gonna be looking for some new ones too. Not ham transceivers just the plain old public use type. My old midland xtra talks just wont cut it anymore. What I will be looking for is a pretty positive on/off switch (hate when they come on and you don't know it and it drains the battery), multiple battery options (recharge/standard AA or AAA), water resistant or proof, and hopefully a rugged simple design. Odds are if I need them I will be handing the other one/ones to a average joe/joes who know nothing about radio communication except push the button to talk.

Top Bottom