Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any Flint Knappers out there?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Any Flint Knappers out there?

I have been knapping arrowheads and gun flints for awhile now. Was wondering where other members get their flint to knap. I have some Independence chert, but find it is hard to knap

User Info Menu

I have an outcropping of fossiliferous chert on my farm that I use. I also walk the banks of the Ohio river and find TONS of beautiful hornstone flakes to knap.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

Shooter

User Info Menu

My sons have found some geodes on our place, nothing ever spectacular. Better finds were found by them along the sides of the road digging in the limestone.
    I have a friend hows place is near Columbus, IN and he has chunks of what he calls chert? on his property..
    Is that used to chip flint into arrow heads?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    My sons have found some geodes on our place, nothing ever spectacular. Better finds were found by them along the sides of the road digging in the limestone.
    I have a friend hows place is near Columbus, IN and he has chunks of what he calls chert? on his property..
    Is that used to chip flint into arrow heads?

Correct. We actually don’t have any “true” flint in the US. We (and native Americans) use/used “chert” for making tools, atl-atl points, and arrowheads.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Chunks of glass maybe? I know some knappers that have fun knapping glass.

User Unknown

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hkindiana View Post
    Correct. We actually don’t have any “true” flint in the US. We (and native Americans) use/used “chert” for making tools, atl-atl points, and arrowheads.
    What is “true” flint?
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    What is “true” flint?
    \\

Is Genuine close enough?

Attachment 90451

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edwea View Post
    Chunks of glass maybe? I know some knappers that have fun knapping glass.
    Some first time knappers practice on old toilet tanks. I have seen arrowheads made from glass, they resemble obsidian.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hkindiana View Post
    I have an outcropping of fossiliferous chert on my farm that I use. I also walk the banks of the Ohio river and find TONS of beautiful hornstone flakes to knap.
    I have heard that there is some beautiful hornstone down along the Ohio. You are so lucky to have some chert on your property that you can work with. I have seen some beautiful flint that has come from Flint Ridge, Ohio.

User Info Menu

All flint is chert, but not all chert is flint.

Kind of like how all bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs.

Flint has a special formation environment: Chalk or marl. That's the difference.

Also - there is most definitely flint in the USA. For instance, look up Flint Ridge quarry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast