• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) there are chalk deposits in the USA. (There may not be any in Ohio, as the Ohio's Flint Ridge alludes to - but that goes to show how reliable some sources can be)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobrara_Formation

B) REAL "hornstone", or Hornfels as the appropriate name goes, is a metamorphic rock and going to be MIGHTY mighty rare in Indiana.

C) What some folks call "hornstone" is a colloquial name for a certain type of chert.

This is the geologist in me coming out. Gotta get things lined out and correct.

That said - knapping one's own points is a right cool hobby.

Anyone tried actually hunting with a modern knapped point?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    A) there are chalk deposits in the USA. (There may not be any in Ohio, as the Ohio's Flint Ridge alludes to - but that goes to show how reliable some sources can be)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobrara_Formation

B) REAL "hornstone", or Hornfels as the appropriate name goes, is a metamorphic rock and going to be MIGHTY mighty rare in Indiana.

C) What some folks call "hornstone" is a colloquial name for a certain type of chert.

This is the geologist in me coming out. Gotta get things lined out and correct.

That said - knapping one's own points is a right cool hobby.

Anyone tried actually hunting with a modern knapped point?

What flint knappers and collectors CALL “hornstone” is actually Harrison County flint (chert), but “hornstone” is the more commonly used term. As far as anyone using knapped points for hunting, I have a friend that takes a deer every year with points that he knaps. I remember a time when DNR regs stated that broadheads HAD to be made of steel. I’m glad that they now allow stone points. I just wish Indiana would join the growing number of states that allow atl-atl’s for deer hunting. The atl-atl was used by native Americans for over 10,000 years before the bow and arrow was introduced, and it worked FINE for them. Over 99% of so-called “arrowheads” found in Indiana are actually atl-atl points. A REAL Indiana “arrowhead” is a tiny triangular point with NO notches. My dream is to one day take a deer with an atl-atl, atl-atl point (that I knap myself) and dart (seven foot “arrow”) that I construct from materials found only on my farm. I can reliably hit a deer target at 20-30 yards, with my record shot (I admit it was mostly luck) being about 100 yards. I saw a video of a gentleman that is SO ACCURATE with an atl-atl that he squirrel hunts with one. Turkey hunting with one would be a real challenge too.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I went down on the river again yesterday for another batch of flint. I saw a number of bald eagles! And the biggest barge that I have ever seen on the river - it was actually 15 barges (five rows of three) hooked together and being pushed by a tugboat. It was too hot yesterday, I should have waited until today.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I went down on the river again yesterday for another batch of flint. I saw a number of bald eagles! And the biggest barge that I have ever seen on the river - it was actually 15 barges (five rows of three) hooked together and being pushed by a tugboat. It was too hot yesterday, I should have waited until today.

Hot ..... but you got a good haul, and had some interesting sightings ! :yesway:

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga

Looks like another good haul, HK. That should keep you busy this winter if you get snowed in for awhile.

Top Bottom