‘What goes up must come down’: IMPD reminds Indy residents danger of celebratory NYE gunfire

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a better idea.

For the public's safety, if you feel like shooting your gun at midnight in celebration, point it at your own head first to make it less likely to hit an innocent victim.

And its a twofer... its safer for us both in the short and long term. We dont get hit by falling bullets tomorrow night, and they wont do it again next year. (and God knows what other boneheaded things they'd do otherwise as well.)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Planning to save on range fees and zero some optics in the parking lot of my building on NYE. Learned last year you can shoot all you want for about two hours and nobody will do anything about it.
    Imagine moving to the swamp and then bitching that nobody does anything about the alligators.

yep.gif

:):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Gators don't have Glawk switches.

Although judging by Mears election results last month apparently people like the fireworks and the holes in their car roofs.
    Some people love it so much that they volunteer to live right in the middle of the worst of it.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, I don't know about Indy, but someone slow-fired off a magazine around 10:00 pm last night here. My round count on it was 11...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Heard two pistol mags emptied and somebody bumpfire or ? what sounded like a .308.

Live in housing addition, shots from north side of. Field and some trees along there. Still in town ( outter edge ).

Fireworks and gunshots, all festivities over by 12:10.

In years past it went on til about 12:30 or so. Must be ammo costs keeping the fun down.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I heard some rounds fire off amongst the fireworks here on the NE side of town. Pretty typical even for a semi-hoodrat part of town.

All I can say is 22LR nailgun rounds are LOUD when set off by a 22LR revolver.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It always sounds like a war zone up here come midnight. Mag dumps started early at about 10pm. Ramped up from 11:45-12:30, then slowly tapered off by 1am

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Apparently the only way to get people arrested for doing this is to apprehend them yourself. :rolleyes:

Violent felon on parole, because of course. So glad our city is attracting the best minds from other states.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lucky here, no gunfire. My neighbor apparently shot a muzzleloader off at midnight, I smelled it more than heard it. I woke up, checked my texts, went back to bed.

Asked him about it Monday, "No bala" he smiled, only September and January, I laughed and wished him a Happy New Year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think the solution is clear and simpler than we think.

Shotguns firing #9 or smaller bird shot and rat shot in handguns....then just don't look up.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    When you detain 5 people who you witness as an officer fire into the air, and the prosecutor drop all charges because you can't prove the rounds struck anything, therefore it is not criminal recklessness or mischief in their eyes because it's celebratory.... yeah, you're not too motivated to do anything about it. We were told we could write a ticket though... :rolleyes:

Besides, there are literally 100s of calls of shots being fired on just one district alone on NYE with only approximately 20 officers working. We just don't have the manpower to respond to that. I couldn't even get my district's evidence collection done the next day during my shift because I'm dealing with 2 people stabbed in between collecting bullets and shell casings around the city.

Top Bottom