• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it's both words at the same time, but at significantly different frequencies. I think anyone who hears "Yanny" still retains more of their high frequency hearing than most of us. The "Laural" is clearly lower frequency and easier for most of us over 35 or so to hear clearly.

Same principle used in some sonic "weapons" designed by older folks to annoy younger folks.

It's used in the UK so that folks under 25 don't gather in front of some shops.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...itched-sound-alarm-for-under-25s-8665652.html

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Same principle used in some sonic "weapons" designed by older folks to annoy younger folks.

It's used in the UK so that folks under 25 don't gather in front of some shops.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...itched-sound-alarm-for-under-25s-8665652.html

And brilliant!

I used this as an example in some of my physics and physical science lectures years ago. The students were skeptical until we played sounds that some of them could hear clearly, but the older students and I could not.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And brilliant!

I used this as an example in some of my physics and physical science lectures years ago. The students were skeptical until we played sounds that some of them could hear clearly, but the older students and I could not.

Maybe the device is brilliant but I don't think using it to discriminate against an entire group based only on their age is brilliant.
    Clearly not all folks under 25 are trouble and plenty of folks above that age are.

You could have pretended to hear the sound clearly to appear younger.

"OMG my hears, turn it off now! Uh ... Sir, it's not even on." :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe the device is brilliant but I don't think using it to discriminate against an entire group based only on their age is brilliant.
    Clearly not all folks under 25 are trouble and plenty of folks above that age are.

Hahaha! Agreed! I was referring to the concept, but you're right about the application.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

age-ist. I hear higher frequencies just fine.

Sounds like the shopkeep discriminates not on age, but on hearing ability. Which is brilliant, only because "sensitivity of ones inner ear" is not yet a protected class.

My HS physics teacher talked about using sub-60 Hz frequencies to annoy his college dorm-mates. No one could "hear" it, but it would mess with their heads.

On-topic - I haven't heard, not to I intend to hear, the OP's clip.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Screw your ears... how about your eyes?

0kakwsjx6hy01.jpg

Top Bottom