“The Recycling Religion“, Consumer Recycling Has Failed, How Do We Get out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really feel like we are Going the wrong way with consumer packaging.

k-pods and the individual servings of coffee vs just scooping some powder in gets me. Is it really so inconvenient that it makes sense to spend the extra money and generate the extra garbage for coffee?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I really feel like we are Going the wrong way with consumer packaging.
    I brought this up recently to a packaging executive some of the packaging we see, the plastic that has to have heavy tools to open it, is because it spends months in a salt water environment being shipped from China has has to be protected.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I brought this up recently to a packaging executive some of the packaging we see, the plastic that has to have heavy tools to open it, is because it spends months in a salt water environment being shipped from China has has to be protected.

That makes sense.

It also sounds like another good reason to support domestic manufacturing...what’s left of it anyways.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    k-pods and the individual servings of coffee vs just scooping some powder in gets me. Is it really so inconvenient that it makes sense to spend the extra money and generate the extra garbage for coffee?
    Simple answer; yes.

Fast, it can make two 10oz coffees in about 3 minutes.

Hot, it is hot, not warmer warm, brewed hot.

Flexible, everyone get the coffee they like.

No waste, everything is in the cup.

No daily clean-up, so another time saver.

The huge savings are when one no longer buys Starbucks or better coffee out, because what you make at home tastes better.

Last edited:

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Michigan used to have deposits on aluminum cans (they might still). There was considerably less litter in the form of aluminum cans on their roads back in the late 70's when I was there.
    They still do. I will say in support of the deposit law, the first several feet of corn rows along the road have been a lot cleaner of bottles and cans since.
    But then there was the time I sucked in a muffler and tail pipe into the corn head.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They still do. I will say in support of the deposit law, the first several feet of corn rows along the road have been a lot cleaner of bottles and cans since.
    But then there was the time I sucked in a muffler and tail pipe into the corn head.
    I would say attitudes have changed a lot since 1978, so I would not expect it to go back to days when everyone chucked their trash out the windows…

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I would say attitudes have changed a lot since 1978, so I would not expect it to go back to days when everyone chucked their trash out the windows…
    It has. Wine bottles, water bottles and fast-food packaging is what gets tossed out now. Plus, the occasional tennis shoe and women's underwear.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It has. Wine bottles, water bottles and fast-food packaging is what gets tossed out now. Plus, the occasional tennis shoe and women's underwear.
    You must live in an area of heathens. I never see anyone throw anything out the vehicle window. My guess is the alcohol related trash is teens at night. As for the shoe and other unmentionables, I cannot tell you how many vehicles I have seen with stuff on the roof, trunk, even the hood they set down, probably loaded the kids, left it there, and drove off. Found a laptop on my street once. LOL

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Simple answer; yes.

The huge savings are when one no longer buys Starbucks or better coffee out, because what you make at home tastes better.
    I brew a 12-cup pot each morning. It’s hot. I can have any flavor I want and if I’m feeling spicy I can grind my own beans for super fresh. No paper or plastic to deal with. How is that worse than 2-3 k-cups a day?

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    You must live in an area of heathens. I never see anyone throw anything out the vehicle window. My guess is the alcohol related trash is teens at night. As for the shoe and other unmentionables, I cannot tell you how many vehicles I have seen with stuff on the roof, trunk, even the hood they set down, probably loaded the kids, left it there, and drove off. Found a laptop on my street once. LOL
    Several years ago, I walked out of the house one morning to see a bushel basket of trash in the front yard. Walked over to it and began moving it around with my foot looking for some type of ID. Found a bank receipt called the State Police. Said there is really nothing they could do. I have a name on a bank receipt... we'll be right there. Trooper found out where they lived 12 miles east of me. Had been to a party about a mile west of me. Got into an argument with each other and the gal started slinging stuff out of the car. Trooper made them pick up the trash in my yard and then all the way back to where the party was, then wrote them up. It was a good day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Simple answer; yes.

I've got an espresso machine and make Americanos. No filters other than reusable metal. I can easily control the temperature by adding hot water (electric tea kettle) or steaming milk vs cold milk. It even makes the little frothy milk on top if I like. I'm sure it takes 2-3 minutes longer than a k-pod but I'm not so super busy that I don't have those minutes. The result is coffee shop quality or better even without a doubt.

At work I just have a single cup maker that also uses a metal filter and makes one cup at a time. I'm perfectly happy with the results.

If you like it, I'm not knocking you. I just don't see the advantage being worth the cost and waste to me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sustainability is a buzzword in manufacturing these days, my opinion is that you can contribute to that by making products that last longer in a usable form. For years industry has been trying to find an easy way to recycle PET, the plastic that today makes up most bottles and blister packaging. Now a ground up version is being pushed into powder coatings so it can be claimed as being "sustainable" but the PET just degrades the properties of the coating, shortening the useful life of the product.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Plastics tend to have the same fuel value (per pound) as petroleum products. Polyethylene, like from milk/water jugs, is almost chemically identical to paraffin was and will burn cleanly with little effort. If these polymers can not be reused then they should be used as fuels. Certainly not put in some landfill.

One fellow I know was able to get a few tons of off grade polyethylene pellets. He was able to jigger his wood pellet stone to consume the plastic, with no ash, no smell.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Most plastic goes slowly into my “hotdog” fire in the back yard during the summer. We can only have an open fire for cooking Here. The soccer moms had a fit with the burning ban because it eliminated their smore making so the council relented and made a carve out for cooking food. You would be surprised those burning leaves with a frozen pack of hotdogs setting on a small table next to the fire in case the police show up.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There once was a man stranded on I deserted island.
    He had lost track of time.
    Eventually a ship appears one day to rescue him.
    He tells his rescuers that he wants to gather some things before he leaves.

The rescuer follows the man back to his camp where there are 4 huts.
    The rescuer asks, "Didn't you say you were alone?" to which the man answered yes.
    "Then why are there 4 huts?" the rescuer asks.

The man explains,
    Hut #1 is where I live
    Hut #2 is my latrine
    and hut #3 is my church.

The rescuer asks, "What's the 4th hut?"
    The man replied, "That's the church I used to go to."

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Simple answer; yes.

I shouldn't assume to speak for someone else, but I thought that BBI was talking about using the reusable K-Cups that you fill with your own ground coffee. If I'm in a hurry that's what I use with my Black Rifle Murdered Out beans that I grind. Normally, though, I use this. Best coffee I've ever had.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I shouldn't assume to speak for someone else, but I thought that BBI was talking about using the reusable K-Cups that you fill with your own ground coffee. If I'm in a hurry that's what I use with my Black Rifle Murdered Out beans that I grind. Normally, though, I use this. Best coffee I've ever had.

I didn't even know there *were* refillable k-cups. I thought they were all the little tartar sauce containers of coffee grounds that the machine throws out when you go to make another.

Top Bottom