• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    My son just bought an 01 Dodge Ram 1500,4x4,5.9 magnum 117000mi,sat for a while,less than a year,we drove it,bought it and drove @10 miles,drove fine shifted fine, After about half tank of gas we took off toward home,it ran great then within 2-3 miles of the gas station,its sputtering in low rpm,when its in O/D,turn off O/D runs great,when low rpm in drive it wants to die,starts right back up,I was thinking air filter,but if thats not it,water in gas? He put some STP gas treatment. any legit help it appreciated....ie,no Junk Dodge remarks...lol

Last edited:

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    II once bought a car that "sat" for a while. The fuel filter was plugged with varnished gas. I'd look at the fuel filter first or at least check for full pressure at the injectors.

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Check the fuel filter for tiny little specks of rust/debris. Had to replace a fuel fiter, carb and fuel pump on an older vehicle that sat for a while. Hope you have fewer issues with this one!!

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds like bad gas. FYI there is no serviceable fuel filter on that truck. The filter is built into the pump, you have to drop the tank to change it.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I know dodge fuel filters are inside the tank,we have a Durango...his air filter was full of nut shells,I guess from a chipmunk and the tube to the fender was full too,cleaned it out,but it is still doing it,He's bringing it over after he gets off work,I'm going to pull a couple plugs look them over,his cap and rotor,see if its wet,try resetting the computer(IDK if that will change anything),I told him drive it w/ th OD off burn up that old gas.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That is prime year range for the crap transmissions as well. Since it's only doing od things with the trans in a certain gear, I would think the two may be related. Have you scanned for codes yet? On a newer vehicle that should be diagnostic step #1.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    We did the codes first,but usually if a vehicle is already running bad,it'll pop all kinds of codes,it had like 8 codes,from cyl misfire to o2 sensors,to timing chain,it came out of the running bad at low rpms now it won't idle,ordered an IAC sensor,we'll be putting on a tune up this weekend,cap,rotor plugs and wires,as far as tranny goes,thanks for the heads up..I'll be sure to let him know we should probably do a filter/fluid change in the transmission also.Are the trannys known for any particular problem,or just catastrophic failure?? ....he'll love that...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is prime year range for the crap transmissions as well. Since it's only doing od things with the trans in a certain gear, I would think the two may be related. Have you scanned for codes yet? On a newer vehicle that should be diagnostic step #1.

I thought they fixed the transmission problems after 96?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    It's the coil pack . Had one do the same thing but mine did after a rain. It's a cheap fix just two bolts and easy to get to.. Just make sude you clean the mounting area up real good so it gets a good ground... Mine was a 2001 1500 4x4 and the moister made it run just like you are saying... During nice weather it would run just fine... Hope this helps, if all else fails...?

Last edited:

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    The truck will not idle,the chugging while driving stopped,now whenever you let off the gas it wants to die,changed the IAC sensor and air filter,no change,only does it when its warm,runs great other than at idle....think that could be the coil? Runs sporadic just before it dies,like you can almost predict the moment its going to die he doesnt have the money to throw parts at it so the help is welcomed!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Might be a vacuum leak at the intake. Use the propane and rubber hose trick and see is the idle smooths out.

[video]https://youtu.be/9CPqbaSgcok[/video]

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sounds a lot like the egr valve is stuck.

This and possibly the coil pack.
    I gave up on the Mopars a while back. I got tired of putting all the time and money in on them.
    Those trannys were notorious for sticking solenoids and ecm issues that had to be reprogrammed by the dealer or shop with specialized gear.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The truck will not idle,the chugging while driving stopped,now whenever you let off the gas it wants to die,changed the IAC sensor and air filter,no change,only does it when its warm,runs great other than at idle....think that could be the coil? Runs sporadic just before it dies,like you can almost predict the moment its going to die he doesnt have the money to throw parts at it so the help is welcomed!

My 03 is doing the same thing. I pulled the new IAS cleaned it up and it ran fine for a week, then right back to it.
    If I figure it out I'll post here, please do the same.

Top Bottom