• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Primarily because I want to carry a gun I can run at the subconscious level and not fiddle with different grip angles that change the presentation, different sights with varying POA/POI, different trigger weights, different ergonomics for different controls, etc.

Amen to that. This is EXACTLY like the late Jeff Cooper recommended everyone own two of their daily carry gun. If one gets stolen, broken, or used in a defense situation you are right back in the saddle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Over the last year, I've taken the two of what you carry philosophy to heart. I'm amazed at how much nicer it is to be able to practice with a gun while not messing with the identical carry gun. The whole ball of stress over shooting the snot out of something, then feeling like you don't want to put it back into the holster until it's been cleaned and re-lubed is gone. Just shoot the heck out of the backup and you keep the carry gun ready for carry. And, if the carry gun does earn a temp home in an evidence locker, you are good to go almost immediately with the backup. My G30sf and P10C have identical backups and the P07 in .40 has a near identical P07 in 9mm waiting in the wings.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Amen to that. This is EXACTLY like the late Jeff Cooper recommended everyone own two of their daily carry gun. If one gets stolen, broken, or used in a defense situation you are right back in the saddle.

I bought a retiree's gun so that I have an exact duplicate (other than 4 digits of the s/n) of my carry gun. My employer will give me another if my issued one breaks, but I also wanted one to keep the round count low on my carry. I'm at 2500 rounds, enough to vet it but not close to enough to wear it out. Now I can dry fire and train with my "extra".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you still have memories from kindergarten or younger, you can remember a firearms controls POI/POA as soon as you get a grip on it.

On a static range with no time pressure and no survival stress? Sure. In a dynamic, rapidly evolving, and uncertain situation where your brain is taking in more sensory input than it can process? Less so.

I've seen more than one gun fight loser with a gun in their hand and the safety still on, seeing people fiddle with their guns on video as they take fire, etc. That's not even getting in to how many people miss when they shoot in self defense.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    How many actually test themselves with their variety of tools? Classes, competitions, etc?
    I try to. I prefer revolvers, but I shoot lots of different guns for different shooting matches. Most are local. Don't do many national/international matches any more, except for Bullseye at Camp Perry. I shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, cowboy action, PPC, bullseye, Action Pistol (think Bianchi Cup), Steel Challenge, Rimfire Challenge, long range pistol silhouette, ICORE, a little USPSA, and any other matches I find that sound fun to me.

I understand the thinking of using one type of gun and being proficient, but that is too limiting for what I want to do. I could not shoot 1/10th of the matches I do if I limited myself to 10 Glocks (or 10 Sigs, or whatever). My wife might like that, though. While some think having one type of gun makes them more proficient with that gun, I like to think I'm proficient with all types of guns. It just depends on what your goals are. Just my :twocents:.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I try to. I prefer revolvers, but I shoot lots of different guns for different shooting matches. Most are local. Don't do many national/international matches any more, except for Bullseye at Camp Perry. I shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, cowboy action, PPC, bullseye, Action Pistol (think Bianchi Cup), Steel Challenge, Rimfire Challenge, long range pistol silhouette, ICORE, a little USPSA, and any other matches I find that sound fun to me.

I understand the thinking of using one type of gun and being proficient, but that is too limiting for what I want to do. I could not shoot 1/10th of the matches I do if I limited myself to 10 Glocks (or 10 Sigs, or whatever). My wife might like that, though. While some think having one type of gun makes them more proficient with that gun, I like to think I'm proficient with all types of guns. It just depends on what your goals are. Just my :twocents:.

I appreciate your input and it is great to enjoy all types of matches and all types of guns.

The point that BBI is making is about actual life and death defensive situation. For those who do not know, he is a homicide investigator with IMPD. He is one to trust.

I shoot a lot of different guns, but I train with my EDC 1911A1, my BUG Bond Back Up and my bug out rifle.

They are my three go to weapons.

Edit to fix Alleged homophobic typo, Thanks BBI.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The point that BBI is making is about actual life and death defensive situation. For those who do not know, he is a homocide investigator with IMPD. He is one to trust.

We're actually splitting Homicide & Robbery into two different branches, although so far it's mostly on paper. I'm now strictly a Robbery detective and am no longer assisting on homicides or agg assaults unless their manpower is insufficient or if I'm training someone (I still train for agg assault for now until they can get their own trainers). I signed up for the sergeant test, and if I happen to make it I'll probably go back to the street.

After almost 6 years, I can't say I'm sorry to step back from the shootings. Especially the kids shot.

But, anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    We're actually splitting Homicide & Robbery into two different branches, although so far it's mostly on paper. I'm now strictly a Robbery detective and am no longer assisting on homicides or agg assaults unless their manpower is insufficient or if I'm training someone (I still train for agg assault for now until they can get their own trainers). I signed up for the sergeant test, and if I happen to make it I'll probably go back to the street.

After almost 6 years, I can't say I'm sorry to step back from the shootings. Especially the kids shot.

But, anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Good luck on your test and thank you for standing in the front lines. I can't image dealing with a child murdered.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good luck on your test and thank you for standing in the front lines. I can't image dealing with a child murdered.

It sucks. Even if they don't die, it sucks. It's the #1 reason I repeatedly turned down the move to the Homicide side of the office. I don't mind assisting, but the lead has to go to the autopsy. I am not going to watch a child's body be cut up. I have enough junk rattling around in my head without those images.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got to be in the room when my uncle was fingerprinting a dead body that was in full rigor when I was a little kid... that was as much as I would ever need to see.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It sucks. Even if they don't die, it sucks. It's the #1 reason I repeatedly turned down the move to the Homicide side of the office. I don't mind assisting, but the lead has to go to the autopsy. I am not going to watch a child's body be cut up. I have enough junk rattling around in my head without those images.

Kids are tough because you think about all the potential life wasted.

Still carrying the 5 year old girl with the SKS round though the forehead. All because some dickhead thought it was "meye rye-eet" to empty the gun through the wall because of his bad day at work. Still remember the interview on VHS tape. I wanted to shoot the television.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You've got to save yourself. Some things can't be unseen, and there's only so much of that crap that can rattle around in there.

Good luck on the SGT test!

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I think its been covered fairly well, so I wont go too further. I, up until a month ago only bought and kept what I felt was a need. Redundancy on carry pistol, shotgun and rifle. I bought myself some "fun" guns to break the monotony: GP100 6" TALO and a Glock 41 MOS. Oh, and they are fun!! :)

Top Bottom